Filling Gas Tank - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

View Poll Results: How do you fill your gas tank?
First Click Im Done 35 61.40%
Round to Nearest Dollar 8 14.04%
Pump 'till gas comes out filler neck 14 24.56%
Put More Gas on the ground than went into the tank 0 0%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-14-2007, 11:22 AM   #31
Registered Member

Didn't know how to vote. I go wide open until I get the first click near my expected shutoff. Then a couple more clicks at about 1/4 of full speed.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:58 AM   #32
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to OdieTurbo
I usually run to the 3rd or 4th click, which is when I can see the fuel right up near the top, about to spill on the ground!

Old 06-14-2007, 12:22 PM   #33
Registered Member

Usually the second click or the nearest 25 cents, whichever is first. Since I have the overhead that takes care of the mileage for me, exact filling isn't as important as it once was. Dakotas have a nasty habit of bubbling up the filler and shutting off the hose if you don't have the nozzle set just right in the tube. Depending on the pump, usually the 3rd speed setting.

When it's really crowded at the station, I fill as slowly as possible so everyone waiting gets pissed off or at least thinks I'm real rich because it looks like I'm putting in hundreds of gallons of gas. Helps weed out the ones with the weak hearts.

Proud owner of Stinkerbutt!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Air Raid cone filter, direct to TB
-Homebrew front air dam
-Homebrew side skirt
-Torza top bed cover
-Now featuring front wheel canards!
kitcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 03:19 PM   #34
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
i dunno i fill it up untill it gets annoying afeter every second the pump clicks off. never had a problem with vapor collecting nor do i smell any or see any spilt fuel anywhere... i have filled it up to the brim before and nothings ever split out from expanding temps. now hills yes i wil belive that...

but i would not rely on pumps shutting off all at the same time. unless you used the same station same pump every time you filled up. ive had it before where i would put it in turn it on full blast and it didnt shut off one time and fuel came out all over the place...so dont rely on pumps shutting off at the same time cuz they dont...

i know that the CEL will come on if the gas cap is not tight enough on newer cars...but i have never heard nor have any of my mechanic friends that too much fuel will cause the CEL light to come on...
CEL light can come on from 2 much fuel. the system is designed to reburn fuel vapors while driving. if sitting, temps can go up and make more vapors that are directed to the charcoal canister then out to atmosphere. If you over fill your tank on todays cars/trucks the fuel (not vapor) will expand and either dump extra fuel into the intake or saturate the charcoal canister and poss. spill out on the ground where it could ignite. You'll have to replace the canister/and valve if contaminated, and if it got sucked up to the intake it would run rough/stall/miss. I've haven't seen this overfill symptom yet, mainly its bad valves that stick open/close or spiderwebs that clog the vent that cause cel to turn on.
ffvben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:34 PM   #35
Registered Member

My gas log entries used to be all over the map (from 38-49mpg). I didn't think my driving habits varied that much, and the real clue it was how much gas I was filling up was that my best tanks were usually followed by my worst ones. I used to top the car off after the first click, but would smell as in the car for the first 15 minutes if I did.

I started filling at the same station (same pump if available) on the last four fill ups, setting the pump at the medium speed, and my mileage now varies from 43.10-44.22 which is pretty much my 90 day average.
mrmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 04:09 AM   #36
Registered Member

2 clicks and call it quits for me.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:53 PM   #37
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitcar View Post
When it's really crowded at the station, I fill as slowly as possible so everyone waiting gets pissed off or at least thinks I'm real rich because it looks like I'm putting in hundreds of gallons of gas. Helps weed out the ones with the weak hearts.
Man you ARE crazy. I've seen the videos, don't try and deny it.

my favorite thread
88HF is offline   Reply With Quote