Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2010, 02:26 PM   #41
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project84 View Post

As promised.
It looks like you have an air pump on that, I read if you clean the tube that comes out of the exhaust maifold(in front of engine) it helps economy

also other info on this page:
Although I did some math and figured I was at 53mpg at 58mph with their stats. so I'm only 1mpg under what they average, considering I did 42 at 72mph average

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=139391

I think the aerodynamic mods I did then helped too

did your last car burn 2 quarts of oil every 300 miles? I just read that in your gas log

thats alot of oil for a saturn geeez I do almost that every 4500

spotaneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:49 PM   #42
Registered Member

My '96 SL2 burns that much... I still have it. I still daily drive it actually.

I wouldn't trust much/anything that guy on saturnfans wrote in the link you posted. He was using HHO, a fuel heater, and "Moved IAT to upper radiator hose".... wow.

He later said he wanted to "socket" the OEM PCM, which, if he spent any time at all actually researching a potential mod rather than blowing BS out his keyboard, he'd know the Saturn PCM is like Fort Knox and even if you can tap it, there's little/no gains within it.

For a 5sp SOHC Saturn, 54mpg (though his "I only put 1 gallon in" is a terrible way to measure fuel economy) isn't that big of a deal IMHO. I got 47mpg out of my '96 automatic DOHC with a passenger and luggage.... and carrying the extra weight of a full tank of fuel to start off with.

If I do anything w/ the airpump, it'll be spending time removing it. Pointless and obstructive... and distracts the eyes when viewing my pristine engine bay.

Sooner or later I'll register the car... and I'll get 50mpg+ this summer. You just wait!

'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:20 PM   #43
Lean Burn Mode

600miles/per gallon of oil that's a ton of oil consumption.

I can't stand it if I use over 2oz per 4500miles.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:40 PM   #44
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgfpro View Post
600miles/per gallon of oil that's a ton of oil consumption.
It comes with the territory.

I'm still getting above average MPG for this car, even when you factor in the oil consumption.

I want to re-ring, but I just bought this SL1 for about the price of a complete DOHC rebuild... half a dozen of one, 6 of another.

I don't want to sell the '96 SL2 because of the oil consumption, I'll feel like I'm just selling it to someone who is surely going to let it self destruct.

I'm in the midst of trying something I never thought I would, but I have nothing to lose at this point. If the results are good enough, I may go into further detail.
'01 KTM Duke 2
Old 04-01-2010, 10:32 PM   #45
Banned

Old 04-02-2010, 01:47 AM   #46
Registered Member

Quote:
It comes with the territory.

I'm still getting above average MPG for this car, even when you factor in the oil consumption.

I want to re-ring, but I just bought this SL1 for about the price of a complete DOHC rebuild... half a dozen of one, 6 of another.

I don't want to sell the '96 SL2 because of the oil consumption, I'll feel like I'm just selling it to someone who is surely going to let it self destruct.

I'm in the midst of trying something I never thought I would, but I have nothing to lose at this point. If the results are good enough, I may go into further detail.
Why don't you just rering them? It can't be THAT hard...
imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:00 AM   #47
Registered Member

It's not... or at least, the 4 or 5 build threads I've read don't lead me to believe it'll be hard. You can even rebuild them in-frame.

I haven't re-ringed for one specific reason. I'm a perfectionist. If I'm going to put the car under surgery, I'm going all the way. New head, timing set, water pump, rings, bearings, all new bolts, new gaskets everywhere. The total comes up near or over $1,000 on almost any rebuild like that. Well, I looked long enough and found this SL1 for $1,200.

I'd much rather just drive a different car w/o the problem *yet* then spend the loot rebuilding a car that also needs struts, suspension bushings all the way around, a rear bumper (cracked), a headliner, a window motor, and the A/C repaired.

Out of sheer boredom, I may rebuild (or decide to be cheap and just re-ring), but not until my Miata is running properly under boost, and I find and swap a rear end for the Camaro.
'01 KTM Duke 2
Old 04-02-2010, 01:36 PM   #48
Banned

you should use that spare saturn to built a fuel or water vaporizer thats what I would do..

Use it as a test engine..

HHO even?
Old 04-02-2010, 01:57 PM   #49
Registered Member

Quote:
It's not... or at least, the 4 or 5 build threads I've read don't lead me to believe it'll be hard. You can even rebuild them in-frame.

I haven't re-ringed for one specific reason. I'm a perfectionist. If I'm going to put the car under surgery, I'm going all the way. New head, timing set, water pump, rings, bearings, all new bolts, new gaskets everywhere. The total comes up near or over $1,000 on almost any rebuild like that. Well, I looked long enough and found this SL1 for $1,200.

I'd much rather just drive a different car w/o the problem *yet* then spend the loot rebuilding a car that also needs struts, suspension bushings all the way around, a rear bumper (cracked), a headliner, a window motor, and the A/C repaired.

Out of sheer boredom, I may rebuild (or decide to be cheap and just re-ring), but not until my Miata is running properly under boost, and I find and swap a rear end for the Camaro.
I'm a perfectionist as well but it'd be worse if you gave the car away because like you said, that person is just going to run it into the ground instead of actually fixing the problem..
imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:12 PM   #50
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
I'm a perfectionist as well but it'd be worse if you gave the car away because like you said, that person is just going to run it into the ground instead of actually fixing the problem..
That's exactly why I'm still driving it.

I seem to have seperation anxiety over this event. Or maybe I just prefer my lumbar adjustment, mp3 capability, sunroof, and power windows. IDK which it is.

The problem with fixing this particular car is if I spend the money and time (time isn't an issue, I'd love to add this experience to my skill base) fixing the rings, the car is still another $1,000 in repairs short of being in, what most would consider "good condition".

Financially, IDK what to do with the car really. I won't profit from fixing it completely then selling it. I won't profit selling it as is, only to give some fool a 2 week free-ride until he comes *****ing about it being a POS that blew up and wants his/her money back. I won't profit keeping it.

I'm really considering driving it until it blows. Then, registering the new SL1 and re-ringing the SL2 for the hell of it and selling it for $500.

As a side note- Currently, there is a "snake oil" product in my crank case. This is one for the old-timers. I'm giving it it's fair chance to prove something to me. It may/may not be working. I'm changing the oil in about 300 miles, then I'll run a few tanks of gas in the car, watch oil consumption closely, and gauge what actions I need to take afterward. Seems to be burning less oil though, honeslty.

'01 KTM Duke 2