Four-Speed CRX HF??? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-10-2011, 01:58 PM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Re: Four-Speed CRX HF???

I guess it depends on what ratios you're comparing. My VW was in 5th at 30 and I was shifting constantly and it did great at lower speeds. Highway driving brought my average down. If the ratios got closer and 5th was good from 20 then it would probably lose a lot of city FE.

My Buick can't use 5th until 50 and it's not really useful until 60. Highway driving definitely brings my FE up. I thought having a highway-only gear would help a lot but I've been wondering if my 40% highway driving is enough to make my gearing worthwhile...the larger non-highway portion of my driving could definitely use some closer ratios, I often feel like I'm not quite at the perfect RPM.

Of course, there's a whole lot more variables in that comparison than gears, like a rotten carburetor vs. the latest wideband-controlled fuel injection, but OTOH the VW definitely sees less highway aero penalty than the Buick.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:24 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
I guess it depends on what ratios you're comparing. My VW was in 5th at 30 and I was shifting constantly and it did great at lower speeds. Highway driving brought my average down. If the ratios got closer and 5th was good from 20 then it would probably lose a lot of city FE.

My Buick can't use 5th until 50 and it's not really useful until 60. Highway driving definitely brings my FE up. I thought having a highway-only gear would help a lot but I've been wondering if my 40% highway driving is enough to make my gearing worthwhile...the larger non-highway portion of my driving could definitely use some closer ratios, I often feel like I'm not quite at the perfect RPM.

Of course, there's a whole lot more variables in that comparison than gears, like a rotten carburetor vs. the latest wideband-controlled fuel injection, but OTOH the VW definitely sees less highway aero penalty than the Buick.
But I don't see how having short gearing is going to improve fuel economy. I mean isn't it likely that while your VW gets good fuel economy, the gearing is actually working against you instead of with you and that the gearing you have is a compromise of performance and power? I mean the Civic VX really should be in 5th gear by 35mph and the CRX HF Fed at 36mph (assuming you shift into 5th so that you're at 1200rpm).

imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:17 AM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

It's not the short gearing that helps, it's the close ratios giving you an optimal gear for every speed you'd drive. The short gearing, of course, becomes a detriment once your speed goes beyond optimal for your highest gear.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:01 PM   #14
Registered Member

Found your next car, Arky!

http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=12528

She's a peach!

doctorgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote