Fuel tank too large - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-04-2021, 01:00 AM   #1
Registered Member

Fuel tank too large

So here's a problem I didn't anticipate when I bought my Q7. The fuel tank is 100 litres plus reserve. The first time I fueled up, the guy at the till told me I'd almost hit the fuel limit per customer which is 100 litres, and I put in 99.08. on my second fuel up, I used my other local garage, and the pump shut off before it was full, I had to put the pump back down and the checkout girl had to reset the clocks for me. I then had to ask for a receipt which showed the "two" fuel ups seperatly and I had to add them together to get the total fuel added.

This is kind of annoying, maybe it's a first world problem, but if I have to add partial fuel ups just because I'm a litre or two off the top of the tank, or keep asking for receipts, it just makes calculating my running costs and using fuelly a little harder. A workaround would be to fill up early, but I'm someone who likes to get the most miles out of my tank, and the range shown on the dash is very accurate, right down to the last 10 miles remaining. Hmmm...

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 06:52 AM   #2
LDB
Registered Member

Well, other than two receipts and fill with 1/8 tank remaining I guess you could get some ball bearings 1mm smaller diameter than the fuel neck and drop them in to reduce the capacity of the tank.

LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 10:35 AM   #3
Registered Member

Why is there a fuel limit? This is BS. I do dealer trade driving for a local dealer. We used to pick up used trucks in Flint MI and drive them back to WI. One time, before starting back to WI, I tried filling up at a station I hadn't used before. Ford pickups tend to have large tanks. I hit the limit filling this one up. Needless to say, I never went back to that station.
bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 01:10 PM   #4
Registered Member

I don't know if it's covid rationing or lockdown affecting supply. Most of the garages here have been closing early as there's no point staying open. Wales has had stricter rules than England, we've been on a 5 mile restriction for a number of months so demand for fuel has almost entirely dried up. Guess I'll just have to make do filling up twice at a time, it's annoying but the only way to carry on tracking without ticking partial fuel up...

Old 04-06-2021, 10:09 AM   #5
LDB
Registered Member

Why not just figure out where the 98-99L point is, maybe 1/8 or less of a tank left, and fill up then?

LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 11:01 AM   #6
Registered Member

You are looking at 25 miles per 5 litres. How many litres did you go over? All you have to do is fill up 5 miles earlier for every litre you went over or thereabouts.
Old 04-06-2021, 01:30 PM   #7
Registered Member

I had assumed the tank was 100 litres including reserve, but as I've had more than 100 in, I'm assuming it's 100 litres plus a reserve, and as it's quite hefty on the juice, it's probably quite a big reserve. I usually let the tank run down, I had 10 miles range remaining when I fueled up, however as I only drive a short distance to work during the week, 25 miles range is more than adequate for me. I'll just fuel up sooner I guess, maybe when the range hits 30 miles or so.

Old 06-03-2021, 03:28 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
Well, other than two receipts and fill with 1/8 tank remaining I guess you could get some ball bearings 1mm smaller diameter than the fuel neck and drop them in to reduce the capacity of the tank.
Fuel limit is very common around here and I heard about this trick from a local guy who put ball bearings on his tank equivalent to about 1 liter so make sure the tank is full. He will be back to the shop for the installment of the new set of tires from 4Wheelonline this week and I'll ask him about the number of bearings he put on the tank.
visorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 11:32 AM   #9
Registered Member

Ball bearings tend to roll around - - - - do the tank baffles help?

ez
ezshift5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 11:05 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezshift5 View Post
Ball bearings tend to roll around - - - - do the tank baffles help?

ez
This helped for me!

Joseph90 is offline   Reply With Quote