Funny VX Story... - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2009, 08:29 AM   #1
Registered Member

Smile Funny VX Story...

I went to a parts store down the street three times in one day. On the last trip, I wound up talking to the manager outside while he was on his break. He was interested in the VX, and I explained a bit about the features of the car. He started bragging on his '82 RX-7 which he said could smoke the tires all the way across the parking lot.

After a while, I got in the wife's VX and took off. As I backed out of the parking space, I threw it in first, dumped the clutch, and yanked the emergency brake. The car sat in place and performed the most glorious 92-hp burnout I've ever seen. I let the brake go and it smoked the front tire(s) all the way around the corner of the lot. The manager's eyes almost bugged out of his head.

The way the lot is set up, you have to drive to a side street and get out there at a stop light. I did so, and turned left across the front of the store again. Smoke was still rising from the lot as I drove by.

Does anyone else have any Herculean stories about their vehicles? (I have a couple more I will save until I have more time).

IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:38 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
The wife's VX, eh?

Old 03-24-2009, 08:42 AM   #3
Registered Member

There was the time I WASN'T quite passed by a bicyclist from Quebec while on my scooter. I guess that's more a story for her than for me...rats.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:24 AM   #4
Registered Member

I've beaten quite a few 'modded' civics in stoplight to stoplight racing in my old 81 Buick LeSabre back in the day... 307 V-8 at least made some torque with that quadrajet on it

In more recent times, a friend of mine drives a 83 Buick Lesabre Hearse with the same engine.... He enjoys rubbing his torque in the faces of the imports as well

But meh, I'll take a 4 cylinder anyday now...
Dalez0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:07 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
I autocross my VX...people with modded civics laugh at me when I say it's stock until I beat their times by a few seconds, lol.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:09 PM   #6
Registered Member

Here's one of mine from 2004:

I was driving north on Hwy 41 in Indiana just south of Terre Haute in my '95 del Sol S (Civic DX powertrain, 5-speed manual, 2301 lbs). The speed limit was 55. I left a stoplight and the '93-'97 V6 Firebird 5-speed in the next lane took off. I punched it and accelerated even with him through 1st gear. When I shifted into 2nd, I was even with his back bumper. When I shifted into 3rd, I was even with his door handle. As I pulled even, I could see him rocking in his seat, willing his car to go faster. When I shifted into 4th, I pulled head. When he shifted next, I pulled ahead by a car length or so.

At the next stop light, he pulled up to me and said, "That's a FAST little car you've got there! What's in that thing?"

I replied, "1.5 liter, 102 horse 4-cylinder. Stock." His girlfriend riding with him broke up into hysterical laughter. His pride wounded, he stayed at the light when it turned green and let me go.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:48 PM   #7
Registered Member

back in the late '80s/early '90s when 5.0 mustangs were popular, a buddy of mine put an Iroc Z motor in an S-10 p/u.

oh, how many of them he baited(along w/ many other cars)! he put several spare wheels in the bed to keep the rear end down. never lost a street race until he blew the motor.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 04:52 PM   #8
Registered Member

I saved one more:

Back in the summer of 2005 I had a 1999 Honda Civic Si with the B16 DOHC VTEC motor. Stock it made 160 horsepower. Mine had a chip, cold air intake, 4-2-1 header, 2 1/2 inch exhaust, lightweight flywheel, stage 3 clutch, short-throw shifter, 17x7 wheels wrapped in 215-40R17 BFG G-Force Tires, vented & cross-drilled brakes (front and rear), 2" lowering springs and struts (very stiff), a strut-tower brace, stiffer rear anti-roll bar, stiffer suspension bushings, billet oil seals... you get the picture.

My brother was following me down the Lloyd Expressway in Evansville in his new Highlander V6. At a stoplight, I pulled into the left lane to be the first car in line at the light, as there was a car in the middle lane in front of me. My brother pulled in the right lane. He wanted to try his luck. When the light turned green, I was surprised that the car in between us (a late '80s 302 Cougar with a sweet-sounding motor) took off as well. The Highlander's 4wd and the Cougar's torque let them pull out to a short lead, but as the high-lift, high-duration cam took over, I blew by them both. I ran hard until I reached the top of an overpass. Right as I got there, I saw the light bar hiding on the on-ramp.

Final tally:
136 mph in a 50 zone
Reckless driving
4 court dates
50 hours community service
$400+ in fines
$106 in court costs
6 months probation

The kicker: I was so far ahead the cop didn't know I was racing anyone. I didn't get ticketed for a speed contest.

I later sold the car to my brother (he gave up his new Highlander for it). He was pulled over 3 times in the first 2 months he owned it, and 5 times within the first year.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:55 PM   #9
Registered Member

That same car:

I beat a BMW 330i from the same stoplight 3 days in a row on my way to work. The last time, he practically ran the red light trying to get the jump on me. He'd always pull out to a 1 or 2 car-length lead, but once my motor kicked in (at 5600 RPM), it would be no contest. That thing would scream to 8500 RPM like it was nothing. I miss it.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:53 AM   #10
Registered Member

maybe not a killer story but a story none the less.

I used to have a dodge dakota (sold it a while back) it had a cold air intake, true dual flowmaster exhaust, ported and polised throttle body, 275 tires on the rear, and 4.10s in the rear. it was a short bed regular cab with the 4.7 liter and a 5 speed.

the truck from the outside looked bone stock other than the exhaust. there is a place where there is a light with 2 lanes and one of those lanes end so there is always some yahoo that will get in the lane that will end and "try their luck" as mentioned above. I was there and I was the only vehicle there and a honda civic with two girls pulled up beside of me. I looked over at my wife (she hates it when I do this) and she said "don't". the light turned green and like clockwork, those girls punched it. I slammed it as well and pulled way in front.

once on the highway, they passed me doing better than 100 but by that time, I had proven my point. I had about 360ft/lbs of torque in that truck.

I know, it was probably their momma's civic but it is still kinda funny to me.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote