Future Fuel Efficient Bus/RV Project.. advice? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-18-2011, 12:46 AM   #1
Registered Member

Future Fuel Efficient Bus/RV Project.. advice?

First off, I'm new here and have been interested in fuel economy for quite awhile now. I currently drive an old 89 Honda Civic which does pretty good. Before that was a 2005 Ford Focus. My next vehicle purchase won't be anything like the previous.

In about 6 months to a year I plan on obtaining a diesel bus of some sort for converting to an RV. I want to see how many MPGs I can squeeze out of it so am looking for advice and tips on how to do it for what will likely be a school bus or transit bus.

Any tips/advice/etc would be greatly appreciated. Once I obtain the bus I will be showing all my mods, MPGs and specs. For now I have to save up the needed money to buy one.

I will likely delve into body mods for the bus to make it more aerodynamic. I might even try a duel fuel setup (start on diesel and switch to veggie oil after it's warmed. Still debating that one).

CrazyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:52 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Re: Future Fuel Efficient Bus/RV Project.. advice?

Welcome!

That is an interesting project. I hope to read about it as you work on it, especially the VO stuff if you do it.

In my meta-sig there are links to some tests of aerodynamic modifications of trucks which should apply.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:58 AM   #3
Site Team / Moderator

My best advice was to make sure you purchased a diesel, but it seems you've already made that decision. I'm not sure what aero mods can be done on a bus, the very nature of the vehicle dictates that it be shaped like a cinderblock. Honestly, I think an antique might be better for aero - The streamline style buses from the 40's & 50's seem more aerodynamic than the square things they make now.

Possibly if you were to purchase one old enough for streamline styling, but new enough to have an aluminum body you might have the best of both worlds. That probably isn't going to be cheap though.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:40 PM   #4
Registered Member

I have owned several busses. I have been able to squeeze many mpg over what ever my first tank gave me. I currently have a 28 ft 12,000 lb gas engine 454 GM powered very aero dynamic Revcon RV at present getting 11 to 12 mpg. My next project is water/alcohol mix injection. The Revcon is front wheel drive auto trans with dual inline rear tires and it is a pleasure to drive, another item to consider before you buy anything. I worked as a school bus mechanic and then a hiway bus mechanic for 10 years.
DelbertWrench is offline   Reply With Quote