Gas expected to peak at $3.60 a gallon - Page 12 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2008, 02:39 PM   #111
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
woah you guys are off base. people dont get tax benefits because they chose to reproduce, they are getting tax benefits because they have a larger impact on the future.

if there was a child tax do you think that people would be discouraged much from having a child? likewise do you really think that taking away tax cuts from families is going to curb population growth?!?

the only people who MIGHT not reproduce so readily are those that calculate parenthood, and guess what, there is a good chance that they are good with money and have a taxworthy amount.

wait, i just realized i might be talking to the crowd that may not think abortion is murder. :thumbsdown:

Old 04-30-2008, 02:55 PM   #112
Registered Member

In some cases, I'd argue that 60th+ trimester abortions are appropriate...

I just paid $3.59 for the premium my Accord still pings on. I think I'ma seafoam it, maybe turn the ignition back a tad...

Dalez0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 04:50 PM   #113
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisntjared View Post
woah you guys are off base. people dont get tax benefits because they chose to reproduce, they are getting tax benefits because they have a larger impact on the future.
You REALLY need to watch the movie 'Idiocracy'. Ok, maybe nobody needs to watch it, but it illustrates where we are coming from on that.

Family size is however still a choice more or less, so the argument for needing a larger vehicle to transport a greater number of one's family is falling on deaf ears here. Likewise, I've seen a friend pack over $400 (a month worth) of groceries for himself into a compact car, so it's not like he had to make allot of trips to eat. A family of 4 would simply have to make that trip more often, or they could keep a larger vehicle just for such trips - which is my point: The number of people who truly need to drive a large car, truck, or SUV on a daily basis is hugely smaller than the number who do.

I personally know so many people who drive SUVs and trucks needlessly, that I have a hard time believing that some discouragement is not warranted. It's just plain wasteful.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:33 PM   #114
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
but what does that have to do with "subsidizing people for having children"?

i agree with the whole suv thing, but "tax cuts for breeders" is a huge misunderstanding of the intentions
Old 05-01-2008, 01:15 PM   #115
Registered Member

I have just noticed that the OP got it right, it did top at 3.60ish nationwide for gasoline. www.gasbuddy.com

its been going up 2 cents everyday and it finally stopped these few days, some stations dropped 1 or 2 cents
civic94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:24 PM   #116
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisntjared View Post
but what does that have to do with "subsidizing people for having children"?

i agree with the whole suv thing, but "tax cuts for breeders" is a huge misunderstanding of the intentions
Subsidizing breeding is the net effect. Anyone without all those deductions pays more.

So what are the intentions?

F150:
New EPA12/14/17

theclencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:49 PM   #117
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
its been going up 2 cents everyday
good observation, i've noted that as well. anyone have an explanation as to why the price goes up at a given station BEFORE the next delivery?
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:04 PM   #118
Supporting Member

I believe I heard someone say that Exxon had made a record profit last year and not just that, but that it was the ighest profit any company ever reported.

They do pay more for their base product, oil, but it is interesting how they will not only make that fact raise their prices but they are obviously adding a little extra for that extra kick in the butt

It just all comes down to the fact that they know we'll keep buing the stuff whether it is $4.00 a gallon or $8.00 a gallon. That last one being the price in Western Europe and I can assure you that people still drive overthere..and more than ever, and they will keep cruising at higher speeds tha is allowed in most US States.
McPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:23 PM   #119
Registered Member

Well I intend to fight it by selling the Tercel and investing in a solid E-bike kit for commuting. No more excuses about being too tired to ride the bike when I won't have to pedal at all!

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 11:47 PM   #120
Registered Member

get a moped, pedal when you want but if you get tired fire up the engine (prolly liek a 15-20 hp engine)

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote