Old 07-10-2007, 03:10 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to baddog671
time to... BURN THE MOTHERS DOWN!!!!!..

or,um, more staying at home

Old 07-10-2007, 03:49 PM   #3
Registered Member

Noo, we dont need to overthrow the government, just the big oil companies...

Find the Mobil/Exxon, Shell, etc. head departments and burn them down!!!
Old 07-10-2007, 05:57 PM   #4
Supporting Member

It will put the crunch on police vehicles too though. Imagine that the only person in the neighborhood who can afford gas to drive around is the neighborhood crack dealer.

my favorite thread
88HF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 06:11 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEK View Post
Now that's really sick!!

Makes me want to run out and buy a Hummer right now!

Europeans laugh at us when we complain about $3 and $4 gas. They have been closer to $10 per gallon for years now.
Grrr, I hate it when people talk about the USA vs. Europe thing, its nothing alike. That is like comparing apples to oranges. Ok, yes, Europe gets raped on fuel and its mostly taxes but they have options. They can take a bus, they can get a taxi, bicycle, trolly, subway, walk, etc etc. What option do I have? There is no bus, no taxis, no trolly or subway. The nearest establishment is 6 miles away so biking and walking are out of the question. Europe is more tightly packed than America, the commutes are much smaller and public transportation is more abundant.

I dunno about you city folk, Im in the hills

And dont even get me started on Japan, thats like, the pears in the whole equation...

And my dad drives a hummer
Old 07-10-2007, 06:34 PM   #6
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddog671 View Post
Grrr, I hate it when people talk about the USA vs. Europe thing, its nothing alike. That is like comparing apples to oranges. Ok, yes, Europe gets raped on fuel and its mostly taxes but they have options. They can take a bus, they can get a taxi, bicycle, trolly, subway, walk, etc etc. What option do I have? There is no bus, no taxis, no trolly or subway. The nearest establishment is 6 miles away so biking and walking are out of the question. Europe is more tightly packed than America, the commutes are much smaller and public transportation is more abundant.
Sad, but true!

It's been over 30 years since I've been to Europe, and I was a kid at the time, but I still remember just how good the public transportation was (it blows away the public transportation available in the USA). Europe has reasonably priced passenger trains (between countries), buses, electric trolleys in some (many?) cities, etc. Now, I would love decent public transportation in the USA, but its going to be years in coming (even assuming that the current gas prices actually help fuel a general demand for better public transportation)...

BTW:
I'm willing to Hypermile, but both me and the wife are currently stuck with some serious commuting (in our own cars). While the city (where I work) itself has buses (although not necessarily bus schedules/routes that fit in well with getting to/from work), our house is sufficiently "out of town" that taking the bus in town is a little silly (as we still have to use our own cars to get to/from town, even if we could "in theory" take the bus once we get to town).

NOTE:
Doesn't Europe get a lot of their tax revenue from gas taxes (thereby having lower taxes in other areas)? I actually like that model if/when it's combined with decent public transportation (because it helps encourage FE, as well as lowering other taxes needed for government services). However, in the USA, where we often have to drive many miles AND there is often no viable public transportation, it really sucks (essentially being a regressive tax on working people)...
DracoFelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 06:48 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88HF View Post
It will put the crunch on police vehicles too though. Imagine that the only person in the neighborhood who can afford gas to drive around is the neighborhood crack dealer.
Well, it will make it easier to spot the crack dealers, I guess... :-)
Old 07-10-2007, 06:49 PM   #8
Registered Member

Bingo, right on the head Draco..
Old 07-10-2007, 06:51 PM   #9
Registered Member

"WHAT! Why are you pulling me over?!!"

"Sir, you are driving when prices are over 5bucks a gallon. You obviously sell crack...now bite the curb!!!"
Old 07-10-2007, 07:22 PM   #10
Registered Member

To answer the original question, the price increase is probably due to a supposed refinery or two that has been taken off-line due to profit mongering - I mean flooding. :P

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote