Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2008, 02:55 PM   #61
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD26 View Post
Exactly.

It can go up to infinity, really. Going down, hey, it's closer to zero that it will ever be to infinity.
Dave......Yea, well it has a significant affect on our economy (make that world economy) so I would like to see it a little closer to zero.

(from one Dave to another Dave)

Dave

Old 09-18-2008, 03:04 PM   #62
Registered Member

Gas prices down

LOL! Yeah, me too. I run used engine oil in my diesels when I have some. It's about as close to $0 as I can get.

Old 09-18-2008, 03:11 PM   #63
Registered Member

I just filled up at 3.19. So gas is definitely.....down. I think that's the lowest it's been in at least 6-7 months.
KU40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:15 PM   #64
Registered Member

Gas prices down

Quote:
Originally Posted by KU40 View Post
I just filled up at 3.19. So gas is definitely.....down. I think that's the lowest it's been in at least 6-7 months.
Where do you live at? We're still seeing $4 here, but we're taxed heavily and have stupid EPA mandated boutique fuels here. Looks like the last time we saw $3.19 was about the same time period though.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:45 PM   #65
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KU40 View Post
We'll never see a 1:1 relationship between the price of crude oil falling and the amount gas falls. That could only happen if the cost of crude was the only thing going into the cost of gas. But since you have all these other fixed inputs on the price of gas, the relationship cannot be even. However, cost of crude accounts for almost 75% of the cost of gas, so in your example, if crude drops 35%, gas should drop 26%. But obviously something is amiss since it only went down 11%.
There is always something amiss when it comes time to start reducing the prices, but there is never any thought put into whether to raise prices or not. Stations don't have any problem with raising prices $.10-$.25 a gallon under normal conditions and $.50-$1.50 in times such as when there is the threat of a hurricane or other disaster, but when dropping it comes down $.02-$.05 a gallon. Even if crude gets back to where it was prior to all the hype when gas was $1.25 a gallon I don't think we will ever see below $2.00 a gallon again and seriously doubt ever seeing less than $2.50 a gallon.
#47 on my way to #1
Ford Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:26 PM   #66
Registered Member

Gas prices falling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Man View Post
There is always something amiss when it comes time to start reducing the prices, but there is never any thought put into whether to raise prices or not. Stations don't have any problem with raising prices $.10-$.25 a gallon under normal conditions and $.50-$1.50 in times such as when there is the threat of a hurricane or other disaster, but when dropping it comes down $.02-$.05 a gallon. Even if crude gets back to where it was prior to all the hype when gas was $1.25 a gallon I don't think we will ever see below $2.00 a gallon again and seriously doubt ever seeing less than $2.50 a gallon.
I've seen the talk of prices going up a buck or two a gallon during disasters, September 11th and all, but I have yet to actually physically see it in person. I think they are not the norm. Maybe I'm just not in the right place, but on September 11th, I saw nothing that day nor in the days that followed. Honestly, making the prices that high just mean that you're not going to sell that fuel. It's the intent of the price, period.

As for ever seeing gas below $2 a gallon, this was the same thing that was said before, and I believed it, but I paid $0.69 a gallon for gasoline in 2001 in Georgia coming back from Daytona. I just can't personally speculate how I did before.

Similarly, can one always say their house will increase in its value? Some have gotten screwed in the recent overly inflated housing market getting into houses for too much money than they are really worth.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:22 PM   #67
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD26 View Post
Where do you live at? We're still seeing $4 here, but we're taxed heavily and have stupid EPA mandated boutique fuels here. Looks like the last time we saw $3.19 was about the same time period though.
I live in eastern Kansas. The station I fill up at is unique for some reason, though. It is a Chevron and there is a Conoco right across the street. Both are always the same price (I always choose the Chevron, though, because the Conoco asks for my zip code when I use my debit card and that's just too much extra work, ha. But also it's on the right side of the road, so I can turn right in and out of it instead of left). However, there are two other gas stations 2 blocks away and those are always 10-15 cents higher. The prices in all surrounding areas and towns are always 10-15 cents higher too. So I don't know what it is about those two stations that makes them consistently lower.
KU40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:17 PM   #68
Site Team / Moderator

SD26: There was talk like that in the 70's, and yet from the mid 80's through the mid 90's gas for the most part in my area was under $1.00/gal. Maybe we won't see prices under $1.00/gal again but I certainly think that under $2.00 is very possible with the right energy plan coming out of Washington.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 06:00 AM   #69
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
SD26: but I certainly think that under $2.00 is very possible with the right energy plan coming out of Washington.

-Jay
Jay.....I think you are dreaming about under $2.00. Maybe under $3.00 (like $2.95 or something might be possible) but I wouldn't hold my breath. Not that I wouldn't mind though.

Dave
Old 09-19-2008, 09:42 AM   #70
Registered Member

If we have the backbone and the political forethought, gas prices will drop below $2 a gallon.

The people who come here confirm the possibility of getting 60 MPG in a car driven daily in normal traffic situations.

Where we can improve that mileage.

No idling No engine operation in anything other than ideal area of BFSC maps.

Real improvements across the board in aerodynamics without exception.

Powertrains that enable recovery of at least 80% of lost braking energy as well as decelerative energy.

Laws that force tire manufacturers to produce tires with absolutely minimal rolling resistance.

Simple designs that have fewer manufactured components without any additional cost above what the most basic vehicles cost today.

Exponential reductions in manitenance costs as well as powertrain durability, with the elimination altogether of many of the systems currently required to operate a vehicle.

When corporate average fuel economies reach 50 MPG the effects worldwide, combined with alternative sources of energy will end the monopoly of OPEC and oil producing nations will have to compete individually for the vastly reduced demand in their products.

Game set match, and it can be done beginning in less than 3 years with the transition complete in 10 years.

regards
gary