Gas saving and comfortable ride? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2009, 08:21 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
That is always a great concern of mine. I don't like noise and I don't like a harsh ride.

Think outside the Japanese box. Look at GM cars with the 3.8, like a Buick LeSabre, and the Ford Crown Victoria/Mercury Grand Marquis. Read about them in the Hypermile Sleepers thread.

My VW is tight and smooth, though not the most plush ride it's quiet and comfortable. Bumps aren't swallowed by the suspension but they don't feel bad.
yes agreed, the best seats ive sat in are in a pontiac grand prix

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:23 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
I look at the vehicle construction... Generally speaking - vehicles built on frames are smoother than unibody vehicles. Longer wheelbases ride better than short wheelbases, and heavier vehicles ride better. IMHO thebest riding car currently on the market would be a Mercury Grand Marquis.

-Jay
yes hence why the 70's land barges ride like a lazyboy on wheels.

try any buick thier all comfy as hell even the new ones

Old 09-01-2009, 08:24 PM   #13
Registered Member

buicks and cadillacs I believe have kyb struts from factory, that is why they are so smooth. You can pick up some kyb struts for almost any car and the ride will be just as smooth.
uriykir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:09 PM   #14
Registered Member

lol prolly not as buicks and caddys weigh alot
Old 09-01-2009, 09:34 PM   #15

I hate 70s land barges. American cars of that era wandered all over the road. You didn't steer them. You pointed them, and hoped they'd stay in their lane.
FrugalFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:40 AM   #16
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
yes hence why the 70's land barges ride like a lazyboy on wheels.

try any buick thier all comfy as hell even the new ones
LOL, I often say that my 81 Regal rides like an overstuffed couch. Even with bad springs in the front, it still rides nice. As far as handling goes, you can get full size vehicles that handle extremely well. I find myself quite impressed as to how well my 1998 GMC K1500 extended cab truck handles. Late model Crown Vics & Grand Marquis handle well. You can also opt for either an Impala (Caprice based) or a Marauder (Grand Marquis based) which are just retail versions of Ford & Chevy's police packages. You can also just search for a car with the police package. The Caprices handled better & rode better than the Crown Vics, but the Crown Vics get better mileage.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:54 AM   #17
Registered Member

Another car to look for would be a Mitsubishi Diamante, I had a 92 es with a 3.0 SOHC and an automatic. I averaged 28 MPG at 75 mph on the interstate with 2 adults and 2 kids and all the gear to stay comfortably on the other end . That road trip was 430 miles and 7 1/2 hours t back never hurt the whole time. I would recommend finding an LS version so you get the leather interior and power memory drivers seat.
OldCorolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:28 AM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
The Sunfire, being smaller and cheaper than the Grand Am I had, can't possibly be a comfortable ride. My Grand Am was rather harsh by my standards* and the interior layout was uncomfortable too.

*: I guess that's relative; maybe someone who is used to small imports would find it to be quite plush.
Well the one I'm most familiar with is pretty comfortable, could just be the particular aftermarket springs, shocks, tires etc that are on this one. On the other hand I've known Mercedes that ride like a bus, meaning very firm.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:48 AM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
Well the one I'm most familiar with is pretty comfortable, could just be the particular aftermarket springs, shocks, tires etc that are on this one. On the other hand I've known Mercedes that ride like a bus, meaning very firm.

that made sense. I was in a early 2000's top of the line mercades before, dont remember what model, but the body was pretty big and wide, so its must be a higher end model. when I was in the freeway, i expected it to be very comfortable and quiet, but there was more noise and bumps than a honda odyssey. Oh yeah, i have noticed alot of vans are comfortable
civic94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:39 AM   #20
Registered Member

Marvin is quite comfortable, but I have put firmer bushings in him and keep the tires hard, to keep the handling nimble, and the shift kit mods took all the slush out the tranny. Put some craptastic gasmatics on the back, coz they were on sale..... need to get something decent back there.

Edit: Oh yeah, but he's not the first pick for FE, unless he'd be replacing an F-150 or something. Though the manual 2.5 vans of the same era can get high 20s... maybe could see 30 with FE specific driving.

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote