Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2008, 01:32 PM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
It was my understanding that beginning in 1988, the transmission mounts were changed so a VX transmission will likely not attach to your 86 civic frame.

I also believe that the VX transmission has a hydraulic clutch so you would need to find a slave cylinder/clutch pedal assembly.

I could be wrong on all of this- hopefully someone else can confirm/deny what I am saying.
you are correct, in 1988 the civic engine and tranny changed a great deal, part of it is that more engine and tranny mounts were added, and the engines started useing the D15* number sets insted of the EW* number sets. I think it was still a cable clutch untill 1992 when they switched to hydrolic.
that is why if you want stuff to simply bolt in, sticking with simaler year/body styles is a good idea those being 1969-1972 <--pre-civic air cooled, 1973-1977, 1978-1983, 1984-1987, 1988-1991, 1992-1995, and from 1996 onword I get a bit fuzzy as I've never owned a honda that new, there were a few minor changes in those years, like I think that at some point in the late 80's they changed the splined shaft on the engine, but off hand I don't know what modles/years.

GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 01:46 PM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
I don't know much about this car, I found an ad on craigslist and liked it so much that I saved the imagies, but couldn't get to it in time to buy it, I think their asking price was like $1,200 and that it was the S modle (pre-SI, carburated)It's so shinny...

sorry, but for some reason I can't get it to insert the image in here, so you just have to Fallow The Link.

GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 03:28 PM   #13
Supporting Member

Man, that seems like a grand deal on that car whoever got it and I'm sure they got it for even less if it was an asking price.

And that body style looks good indeed with the VX wheels. May have to go hunt for some because I don't wanna take the ones I have off of the CRX HF because they look great on that car as well
McPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 01:04 PM   #14
rpm

I believe you should consider the engine's torque curve when choosing a transmission. StorminMatt's experience attests to this.

The VX's engine was designed to operate well at very low rpm to match the tall gearing, yours perhaps wasn't.
rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 05:45 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM View Post
I believe you should consider the engine's torque curve when choosing a transmission. StorminMatt's experience attests to this.

The VX's engine was designed to operate well at very low rpm to match the tall gearing, yours perhaps wasn't.
Here's another guy here who had a bad experience with an HF transmission on a 1988-1991 DX:

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic lover View Post
Yeah I actually already tried that about a year ago. It had no power to pull it self and I lost MPG. I think I will just have to try the setup and see what it does. I have the mpfi intake and the wiring(kinda messy) But I can't have my car down for too long of time. SO I will do the mpfi swap later.
I think that the problem here is that the DX motor IS designed around higher revs. Given that the 1988-1991 DX motor is the same in both displacement AND HP to the 1984-1987 SI motor, I would expect an HF transmission to have similarly bad results.
StorminMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:24 AM   #16
Registered Member

IIRC the older motors have peak torque at 2800ish the newer ones 4500ish

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote