Going for a new range record! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-24-2010, 08:07 AM   #1
Registered Member

Going for a new range record!

I filled up my VX on the West side of Indianapolis, IN. It has the 10-gallon tank, but I topped it off several times until it took an extra 1.5 gallons or so. I drove it to Evansville, Newburgh, and back to Indy, then to work. I now have 408 miles on this tank, and it still shows that I have over 1/2 tank.

I am estimating that I achieved 70 mpg on the trip to Evansville and back. I drove at 55-65 mph in light traffic, drafting when I could. My tires are inflated to 45 psi and I have the A/C belt removed. I had the sunroof popped open and the driver's window open about 2-4 inches.

I am hoping to get 625-650 miles out of this tank. I will be in crappy Indianapolis traffic for the rest of the week, and I also have the race traffic to deal with (I live about 2 miles from the track). If I can keep on pace and get good mileage on the way to work and back for the rest of the week, I think I can do it.

Now I REALLY want the 13.5 gallon tank that Spectra Premium sells...

IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:52 AM   #2
Registered Member

I would have had my best range too this weekend. Was traveling up to Toledo from Indy. I was going to try and make it all the way back home, but was using the GPS's "Least Fuel" setting that I knew was going to take me along some roads that have nothing on them and really did not want to even come close to risking it. Got my record tank mpg at 47.4 (and that is probably low because I did my normal 1-click gas setting, but did not believe it could be full so I clicked it again and it overflowed a bit and was higher than a "normal" fillup).

So good luck to you. Think you are going to have a record tank MPG in addition to a range record?

Old 05-24-2010, 09:32 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Congrats, and good luck to you!

Now you must provide a link to said gas tank!, lol. I might be in the market for a new tank some year, and besides all the Honda Civic hatch owners could benefit from the info.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:09 PM   #4
Registered Member

AlainB7 told me about the fuel tank. He has one on his VX, and I inquired about it. Check out his gaslog! He covers some major distance between fill-ups.

Buy it here: http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...5QQSPIHO9.html

Product: http://www.spectrapremium.com/spectra.html

I am betting that I will not beat my best-ever Tank-average MPG of 66.6 mpg. For that trip, I filled up at 1/2 tank because I thought the gauge may have broken. Although I was probably getting over 70 mpg for the highway trips, now I will be stuck driving in the city during race week. I will probably still exceed 60 mpg, though.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:18 PM   #5
Registered Member

I really need to do a VX motor/trans swap.... lol
Old 05-25-2010, 08:13 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Thanks for the link, Fetch. I'm tempted to get that tank now.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:02 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post
Thanks for the link, Fetch. I'm tempted to get that tank now.
You need to buy the straps, too. they're pretty cheap, though.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:21 PM   #8
Registered Member

Wow - that is a brand new obscenely large fuel tank for a very decent price. This is great info.
deschlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:51 PM   #9
Registered Member

Then you can have the Honda equivalent to the old Nash 600/Rambler American, claimed 30 mpg, 20 gallon tank. I never got that out of mine, but it was nice to drive from LA to Vegas without worrying about refueling!

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:36 PM   #10
Registered Member

I'm still going... 660 miles on this tank. I'll have to stop either tonight or tomorrow. I figure it's got about another 30 miles left in it. I may try for an even 700.