Grill block... - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2008, 07:08 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to baddog671
Grill block...

I quickly fashioned a simple grill block for my 95 Metro the other day out of cardboard. Anyone have an idea the numbers this can generate? The opening on these bumpers is huge compared to the radiator, I blocked about 2/3 of the opening and didn't even go in front of the radiator.

I plan to use this on long trips since it looks so crappy haha. I image it would become more and more efficient the faster you drive..?

Im going to focus alittle on aero now since I pretty much maximized my weight removal last year.

Nic

Old 03-17-2008, 08:52 PM   #2
Registered Member

bra?

First, got a pic of your grill block? Just looking for ideas, you know.

Second, I was wondering if a bra for the front of the car would help FE. I haven't seen any bras lately, must've been a fad that's faded. I suspect the more flexible the material is, the less help it will be. But maybe a bra would be easier to buy or make.

bzipitidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:55 PM   #3
Registered Member

There's some Bra's with fine mesh covers over the openings that look like they would help block the grille at speed. However, they also often have insect deflector tabs on them which I figure is a aerodynamic faux pas most of the time.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:13 AM   #4
Registered Member

could you stretch some plastic sheeting over an existing lower grille?
Old 03-26-2008, 12:20 AM   #5
Registered Member

About 25 cents worth of clear 6" packing tape will cover all of the grill openings. Most or all of the engine cooling can come from roadside if properly directed. Put in a screen so that you aren't pulling up road spray and dirt with coolant air.
Greybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 10:01 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to baddog671
Hi, sorry for the long wait on a response. I havent been very active on here lately.

I have already fashioned the block, so I wasnt really looking on ideas how to make one (bra,plastic,tape^). I was more curious in how much this effects aerodynaics, based on what other metro owners have found.

For such a small car, I think my model metro has a huge grill opening. The block I fashioned is probably 2-2.5 sqft and doesnt block the radiator itself at all. When travelling at decent speeds (50-60), wind resistance can start to really be felt, so I am pretty much constantly on the gas, even going downhill to just keep my speed constant.