Grill Blocking for a 4.3L Engine - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2009, 08:56 AM   #11
Registered Member

i have a 2000 gmc sierra w/4.3 5speed, and in the summer I get by fine with all of the main grill except a 3" strip at the top blocked off. I also have the lower grill below the bumper blocked the width of the radiator. I don't see coolant temps over 198f in the summer. In the winter I block off the 3" strip too.

jwxr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:34 PM   #12
Registered Member

jwxr7 - can you send me more info on what materials you use and how you install it? In the fall, I always have some difficulty making my cardboard "shield" fit due to the welded brace in the middle of the radiator frame. Feel free to send me a private message if you wish.
Thanks!!
Tom

GasSavers_goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:55 PM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
On my 2002 GMC Sierra with the 5.3L V8, the brace is just in front of the AC radiator and is perfectly placed for holding carboard or coroplast snug against the AC radiator. There's an inch or two between the AC radiator and the engine radiator.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:57 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie View Post
jwxr7 - can you send me more info on what materials you use and how you install it? In the fall, I always have some difficulty making my cardboard "shield" fit due to the welded brace in the middle of the radiator frame. Feel free to send me a private message if you wish.
Thanks!!
Tom
Mine isn't exactly subtle Attachment 1606. I used coroplast and screwed into the plastic grill and bumper parts. I didn't mind having little holes in my older truck, but that may not be for you. Mine is external so there was no problem with braces in the way. I usually go with function over form .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grillblock.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	1351  

jwxr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:26 AM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I made a similar one from plexiglas, which I zip-tied to the grille. It looked slightly better.

Old 05-23-2009, 11:03 AM   #16
Site Team / Moderator

Older truck??? LOL, its newer than mine...

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:04 PM   #17
Registered Member

Thanks Again!!

Thanks to all who took the time to help me! I gained some very useful information that I will be able to eventually put to work.
GasSavers_goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 06:38 PM   #18
Site Team / Moderator

So many Sierras, and each owner approached the grille block differently. I love it.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 06:12 PM   #19
Registered Member

I'm still a bit skeptical about grille blocks...I tried one on my '91 Geo Metro a couple months ago...used the aluminum plate from the bottom of an old screen door -- it fit nicely behind the opening in the bumper. When the outside temps went above 90 degrees, I saw my temp gauge going up into uncharted territory (around half-way). Since it regularly crosses the century mark here during the summer, I decided that any gasoline savings I might garner from the grille block wouldn't be worth a toasted engine.

Just my 2 cents...

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:39 AM   #20
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBob View Post
I'm still a bit skeptical about grille blocks...I tried one on my '91 Geo Metro a couple months ago...used the aluminum plate from the bottom of an old screen door -- it fit nicely behind the opening in the bumper. When the outside temps went above 90 degrees, I saw my temp gauge going up into uncharted territory (around half-way). Since it regularly crosses the century mark here during the summer, I decided that any gasoline savings I might garner from the grille block wouldn't be worth a toasted engine.

Just my 2 cents...
but a metro is using 95% of it's 12 hp engine output to get to 55 mph wheras even a 4.3 engined 1/2 ton uses 10% towing. therefore it (metro) needs more of it's radiator.

plus these guys are leaving openings in the grill-block bigger than the metros grill is to start with.

mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote