Have you noticed people are starting to follow you? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2008, 04:29 AM   #21
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
FWIW, I suspect that most people aren't really interested in getting to the red light sooner, but rather feel antsy at speeds slower than they expect/want. I sometimes suffer from that, but I don't know what to do about it.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:05 PM   #22
Registered Member

IMHO, I think that if they just go your same speed then they will thank you later. If they have a problem they can always kiss my gas tank.

SolidLiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:02 PM   #23
Registered Member

I used to drive a Toyota Yaris - The closest thing I could drive close to a hybrid FE without even trying I think (heck, short of DFCO-ing and driving a not ridicously high speeds cause of fear :P, and I still got 38-39 mpg) . Unfortunately, I got got stupid and careless and had a car accident that totaled it.

Then I decided I needed a car with more safety features and got a Mitsubishi Lancer. Because it's FE is less than stellar (specially compared to the Yaris and I got spooked by the accident, I drive at the speed limit (setting the cruise control whenever possible). I've noticed that some people follow me, specially in the highway, and/or if they pass me, they don't get ticked off.
Who knows?
trancosrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:43 PM   #24
Registered Member

I have found that since I started driving slower on long trips I feel better when I get there than I did when I used to drive 75-90mph. I think it's because you are able to relax a little more not worrying about running over someone or getting a speeding ticket. I have also found that I can set my cruise on 55 and drive 100 or more miles and never have to turn it off because of constantly catching up with slower traffic and not being able to change lanes because the other lane is occupied. On a 500 mile drive it only added about 1 hour to the total trip because I was constantly having to slow down for other cars. I have chronic back pain and my pain level is also lower on longer drives since I slowed down. Less stressful, less pain, more mpg, more money a winning combination. It doesn't seem to bother most drivers with the exception of some tractor trailer drivers, but I don't like it when I come to road construction or an accident and they are hogging both lanes to keep people from passing them, but I deal with it so I guess they will have to deal with my slower driving.
#47 on my way to #1
Ford Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:38 PM   #25
Registered Member

About a few weeks ago, I started driving at about 50 mph down the freeway at night and noticed that a few other cars will drive by at about 80 mph and when that happens, it would remind me of the time about five years ago when I've seen a car race past me on I-610 in Houston at an estimated speed of about 120 mph. I am forced to drive on the left lane through a busy interchange due to constantly merging traffic, but others will either follow or pass by peacefully.
banzaigtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:08 PM   #26
Registered Member

Yes I have but as someone else mentioned Nascar rejects still abound...
But yes, some folks apparently are starting to pay attention.

They've got years of learning ahead of them.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:12 AM   #27
Supporting Member

I've definitely noticed it also...

jBubb is offline   Reply With Quote