Home with VX, Some Q's and comments - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-23-2007, 07:36 PM   #21
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
my vx came with what appears to be most of the options added on, things like mud flaps, the black door bumper trim, A/C, radio, rear cargo cover, clock in the dash, passenger side veiw mirror.
I'm not sure what other options were, but I don't think there was a whole lot left.

GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 04:20 PM   #22
Registered Member

Ryland- Whoa yours has a clock!? thats loaded!
I love how these cars come stripped down, and you could order a few options from the dealer. Now I think nearly all cars have power locks mirrors power steering etc. I love not having power steering. I also have the two mirrors. I wish mine didn't have a/c, but it could come in handy someday when we go on a road trip to the south.

I was thinking of taking off the A/C belt, but it is in such a difficult spot. i guess you have to get to it from underneath...but my suspension is lowered.

GasSavers_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 04:22 PM   #23
Registered Member

Metro MPG- you can come drive the VX if you are ever in northern vt. Im guessing its at least 200 or 300 miles to eastern ontario, we are 1.5 hrs from montreal.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:36 PM   #24
Registered Member

Tom O- Thanks for all of the VX info. Its great to see that you are still getting 50mpg and with 300K! Awesome, keep it up. I may ask for more help with the lean burn indicator when my DMM arrives.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:05 PM   #25
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
no problems, and thanks. SVOboy is very knowledgeable as well as a few others when it comes to electronics and cars.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 03:08 PM   #26
Registered Member

More Q's

I noticed a smell of coolant in while driving, but only with the window open. It seems to come from the passenger side dash. I think it is a small leak from the heater core or attachments or hoses to it. So I am going to go under there and check it out. I just ordered the cd service manual, so that should help. If anyone has any experience with this it would be appreciated.

Also, I am thinking of replacing the cap and rotor. I know the Vx wires are special, and i should get honda ones. should i look for a special part or an official honda part, or should i just get it from napa?

The MPGs are looking good so far, this tank should be at least 55.
Old 04-28-2007, 04:21 PM   #27
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
I hope you didn't pay much for the CD service manual. There are ways of getting the Manual for much less.

Aa far as the Plug wires, any parts store will have them, just tell them the motor is a (your year) Civic Si. The d16z6 uses the same wires.

You're on the right track with the coolant leak. Check all the connections (2) at the heater core on the firewall, the lines running from the back of the block near the VTEC solenoid to the Throttle Body to the IACV (Idle Air Control Valve) (7 total connections for that line) and then the connections on the upper and lower radiator hose. Also check the Radiator cap to see if it's still good. Take it in to a place that will check it or get a new one if it's allowing coolant to boil into the reservoir.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:21 PM   #28
Registered Member

I paid 1.99 for the CD service manual but 5 for shipping. I have dial up so i figured it would take forever to download, and this is not my computer so i didnt want to save it.
I am thinking the leak is in the heater core itself, because I can't smell or see coolant leaking from any of the connections by the firewall, yet i smell coolant in the glovebox. While driving with all of the windows up i cant smell the coolant, even with the heat on, but the second i open the window, the smell of coolant comes in. I am thinking of being cheap and lazy and just putting in a bottle of the radiator seal stuff. I am assuming the access to the heater core is underneath the passenger foot well. I should probably replace it.
I got the spring compressors today. Maybe in a couple days i will find some time to give the front springs a try.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:25 PM   #29
Registered Member

Also, I was a bit optimistic when i said the rough running in lean burn was 90 percent fixed. I would now say about 50% improvement, but I think some other things need to be addressed. I will get the SI wires in the next couple days, maybe also cap and rotor, dielectric grease the contact points, then maybe the O2 after I am sure there is no big coolant leak. I am just praying the head gasket is ok!
Old 04-30-2007, 05:34 PM   #30
Registered Member

On the leak, in the long run it would be best just to fix it. In the short run, until you can get to it, you can take about a tablespoon of black pepper and put it into the radiator. It will seal up any small leaks. It seems hoaky, but I used to have a Ford that had a gap down the side of the radiator, but if i put in a small can of pepper every couple of month's, it would hold Ok.

I doubt that your head gasket is what is causing the problem. More than likely it's a hose, clamp or something like that.

Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote