Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2008, 07:36 AM   #51
Registered Member

the copper coil is plumbing pipe...lol

chope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:44 AM   #52
Registered Member

sorry for all the different post..but wanted to add i was a skeptic too and the only thing that proved it to me was having the guy make and install one for free on my stealth...

Old 06-22-2008, 07:45 AM   #53
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chope View Post
wouldnt use copper in high vibration areas...
I would strategically coil it to relieve it from vibrations and shocks stresses that it would encounter in an engine bay, I have lots of copper tubing, 5.5mm stuff that is used in brake lines, its easy to cut and flare and I have all the tools which are cheap to buy now, I have replace the brake lines on a hand full of cars so I am pretty confident that it can withstand the hot water coolant, FYI brake fluid gets way hotter than coolant, above 150 and Dot5 can reach 200 before boiling.

My fuel regulator has a chamber in the engine head that heats the fuel but its not as hot as we are wanting or talking about here, I want to push it to the limit and see what happens.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:52 AM   #54
Registered Member

ive found instead of using fittings just use gas hose that has an i.d the same as the o.d of your copper and fuel line then push it on and use hose clamps
Old 06-22-2008, 08:09 AM   #55
Registered Member

I'm astounded this thread has even gone past 10 posts.... where do you have so much free time to post these things chope? You, my friend, must be a pretty lonely chum.
'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:21 AM   #56
Registered Member

It takes very little time for the fuel pump to flow a whole tank of fuel through the system with modern EFI systems, maybe 2 minutes at most to completely circulate 20 gallons.

The fuel already gets hot in the engine compartment. I have measured fuel temperature increases in the tank of 15 degrees after 30 minutes of P&G driving.

The higher the tank temperature the more vapor in your vapor recovery system.

Copper for brake lines and fuel lines? Never seen factory copper fuel or brake lines in 40+ years for good reason.

Anyone got a photo of factory copper brake or fuel lines. to make me look dumb?

I used the unnecessary AT cooler portion of a replacement radiator as an oil cooler for the engine on one of my cars, maybe use that for your fuel heater, but you also might consider putting a fuel cooler before the return hot fuel gets to your fuel tank.

Top radiator hose will vibrate a lot more than any building on this planet unless it's in an earthquake. On my car its also very near the exhaust manifold, the last place I want a 60 PSI 20 gallon per minute fuel leak.

Recommend you carry a good fire extinquisher with you, maybe wear a fire suit.

regards
gary
Old 06-22-2008, 08:35 AM   #57
Registered Member

free time? ha.. i bet i work harder than you,
2 people dont need to speak on things they dont know any thing about..
i shouldnt even have to expain this but 1 a 3/4 copper line is usally connected to a recirculation pump and if you put your hand around that pipe it will be a pretty hard vibration. now i can go outside start my jeep and feel very little vibration,and thats with it missing every few seconds...and let me throw one more thing in buddy..through out the course of a sinle job we do atleast 50 r.f.i's and we redesign systems for the engineers,so that should tell you to just leave it to the guys that work with it
Old 06-22-2008, 08:37 AM   #58
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.D.E. View Post

Copper for brake lines and fuel lines? Never seen factory copper fuel or brake lines in 40+ years for good reason.

Anyone got a photo of factory copper brake or fuel lines. to make me look dumb?
You misread my post, I am talking about having hot water/coolant in the copper pipe that would be coiled around the fuel rail.

There is no real consensus on the use of copper piping, some countries allow it and some don't. The objection against it is that the copper work hardens and becomes brittle if it is allowed to bend through vibration. If the pipework is well supported I doubt whether this would actually occur within the lifetime of the vehicle.

You won't get galvanic corrosion of the pipe if it is clamped to steel, copper is more 'noble' than steel but you may get chaffing since the copper is quite soft, but now they add 10% nickel which helps reduce corrosion.

My original Saab brake lines where made of copper with a plastic epoxy paint on them, Volvo have done this as well, I am not talking about the soft copper tubing plumbers use, the stuff for car is much harder with thicker side walls.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:50 AM   #59
Registered Member

im also about to be a licensed electrician,
on top of being a licensed plumber.
i was a world champion martial artist and a kick boxer..won a seat for the 2000 olympics but recieved a knee injury..dont personaly attack me when you dont know me.and lonely? my fiancee was liv tylers stand in for the strangers.and side by side jen is prettier than liv....would you be lonely?
Old 06-22-2008, 08:59 AM   #60
Registered Member

you know what **** this forum ive got more stress than i need.
if you want to contact me
aim is chope2484