Hydrogen Generator Query (Fact or Fiction?) - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-23-2007, 01:46 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hydrogen Generator Query (Fact or Fiction?)

Hello,

I'm trying to find out if anyone has had any experience or knows of any real life results regarding "Hydrogen Generators" or the use of Brown's Gas to supplement FE. Information that I've been coming across seems to be in the form of testimonials with no supporting data. I'm having trouble finding objective evidence for this technology. Is anyone currently using anything like this and does it really work or is this another placebo tech?

OBTW, Just a rider question to kill two birds with one posting, I've also heard about "hyper voltage" systems. Does anyone know if this tech truly works or is it just an over-glorified capacitor?

Thanks in advance.

Zet

Zetetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:59 AM   #2
Registered Member

I'm right in the middle of testing this technology. I can tell you that it doesn't do anything on a stock fuel injected engine. The oxygen sensor(s) counteract any beneficial effects of injecting small amounts of hydroxy or "Browns Gas" which is a stoichiometric mixture of hydrogen and oxygen gas produced on demand with an on-board "electrolyzer".

If on the other hand you have either a carbureted engine, or one with programmable fuel injection, significant gains can be realized on the order of 30-50%+. There were some studies done for SAE a number of years ago on "hydrogen enriched gasoline" burned in a standard internal combustion engine. A quick search on google of "hydrogen enriched gasoline" will yield much interesting reading.
Basically how the whole thing works is the hydroxy burns 4x faster than gasoline, thus increasing the flame propagation rate of the burn proportionally. By injecting just a small amount of this gas after the throttle butterflies you get maximum pressure earlier in the cycle. This allows the retarding of ignition and a far leaner burn without the threat of detonation. I'm currently building an engine to run specifically on hydrogen enriched gasoline. It will run a 10:1 compression with 18:1 or better A/F. I will be running both a hydrogen generator and water injection.

Spence

Spencyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:28 PM   #3
Supporting Member

Zetetic -

I have a post for this :

Hydrogen Booster Installed ...
http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=2668

Like Spence says, the 02 sensor will cancel out the gains. The dude that provided me the solution instructs me to replace the exhaust 02 sensor with a potentiometer in order to make it work. Since I want to be emissions compliant, I don't want to do this. However, I am going to put a bias on the 02 sensor with an EFIE gizmo, which was another option he said would work (but less efficiently).

I have seen no gain, but like I said, I never installed the whole system as instructed.

Hydrogen generators are ideal for diesel engines because of their lean-burn capability. There are after-market hydrogen generators for truckers that give you a two for one, improved emissions and improved FE.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:42 PM   #4
Supporting Member

Zetetic -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetetic View Post
Hello,

OBTW, Just a rider question to kill two birds with one posting, I've also heard about "hyper voltage" systems. Does anyone know if this tech truly works or is it just an over-glorified capacitor?

Thanks in advance.

Zet
Ooops, forgot about this. If you have $100 to burn you can go here or similar :

http://www.sigmaautomotive.com/HVS/hvs.php

I got an el-cheapo knock-off from e-bay for $20, but I can't tell if it had any effect. I was hoping that at least the interior lighting wouldn't dim when I rolled the power windows up and down, but no dice. I think this system would probably make more sense in a car that is soaking the battery, aka in a car with lots of stereo equipment.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote