Hydrogen Geo Metro - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2006, 11:44 PM   #11
Registered Member

Hi diamondlarry -?Hydrogen is supposed to cause embrittlement of the metal in the engine.?

I-C. I guess thats what rh77 was meanign when he said caustic.
Had my brain rattling for a while thinking about how burning hydrogen could make an accidic compound ...
But burning hydrogen and causing embritlement is a plausible theory.

Usually hydrogen embritlement affects very high strength steels and to a far lesser extent alluminium alloys.
The hydrogen usualy gets into the metal at extremly high temperatures , like when welding.
The hydrogen causes air like bubbles which can lead to a crack forming and a failure of the part.
Hydrogen can also get into metal at room temperatures but its affect is not exactly the same and not viewed as a problem.
Remember that nitrogen is present around us at all times and not just when we are burning it from a gas bottle.
As wiki says ?Nitrogen is the largest single component of the Earth's atmosphere?

As there has been experiments in this for many years now and a few have run with it for 10 or more years without an engine problem I think that the embritlemt issue is not worth worrying about.

Probably it does damage engine parts in the long term , but if it hangs together for 20 years then thats more than long enough.
For the rich and paranoid , ceramic coating will do the trick., but I wouldnt bother to do that unless it was a brand new engine., where I may see some lengthening of its life. (maybe)

My experiments into hydrogen are not actually for automotive purposes.
I would like to build a cheap to run home heating system., but if I can get a lot of gas output from my cells I may of course try it on the car and see what it duz.

I think there is lots to be done with gasoline type powered cars , and next year i'll probably start do some experiments in that.

onegammyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:02 AM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Just thinking when I used to make brown's gas . . . it contains oxygen too so it doesn't change the air fuel ratio it just adds to the combustion energy . . . hmmmm if run off a separate battery charged off the grid or brake activated alternator output could be a variation of a hybrid add-on.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote