I did the unthinkable today... EOC - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2007, 06:23 AM   #11

It works because the wheels are able to keep the motor running. Instead of the motor running and moving the wheels, it works vice versa.

Wyldesoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:04 AM   #12
Registered Member

EOC is a great way to boost Fe, but it is dangerous and illegal in most states. My brake pedal goes stiff after a half a minute of so when using the brake while coasting down a hill. Some hills around new england are quite long and steep and without using the brake you could easily get up to speeds of excess of 80 mph plus, and I don't feel comfortable at that speed with a stiff brake pedal. I say nay to EOC.

BTW it is "don't taze me dudebro."

slimreynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:39 AM   #13
Registered Member

does EOC count if your coasting down a hill and the car only idles at 100-200 rpm? i dunno what causes that but i like it. scary part is that it runs as smooth as if it were at 800 rpm...yet its eerily quiet
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:38 PM   #14
Supporting Member

DaX -

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaX View Post
I absolutely love EOC. I do it every chance I get on my commute (which is often). I would say I EOC for at least 10% of my daily commute (I'm being conservative on this guess as I haven't calculated it). The ONLY two FE mods I'm really using are an HF transmission and EOC.

Welcome to the smoother, quieter side of life Matt.

BTW - When EOC'ing up to a light, I often think "this is what it would be like to be in an EV" as far as noise level goes.
Segway .... My Dad was looking over my shoulder and he identified your Avatar, North American Aviation! I've been scratching my head for months over that!

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:53 PM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
does EOC count if your coasting down a hill and the car only idles at 100-200 rpm? i dunno what causes that but i like it. scary part is that it runs as smooth as if it were at 800 rpm...yet its eerily quiet
Wow, that's awesome.

My only thing about EOC is that I always end up having to go up a hill after the coast, and I don't know at what point to start accelerating again for the hill. Because if I wait too long to go back in gear I will waste gas going up the hill because I won't have enough momentum for it.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:16 PM   #16
Supporting Member

slimreynolds -

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimreynolds View Post
EOC is a great way to boost Fe, but it is dangerous and illegal in most states. My brake pedal goes stiff after a half a minute of so when using the brake while coasting down a hill. Some hills around new england are quite long and steep and without using the brake you could easily get up to speeds of excess of 80 mph plus, and I don't feel comfortable at that speed with a stiff brake pedal. I say nay to EOC.

BTW it is "don't taze me dudebro."
Yes, I look at EOC and all other GasSaving strategies as context driven. My rule of thumb for EOC is that I get one solid brake pump (no multi-pumps). After I use that, I do a bump start. I also keep it to the straights because I don't have manual steering (on the infinite to-do list). If I had the skillzzz, I would attach another vacuum canister on my car to increase the duration of my power brake pressure (CO ZX2 and others have spoken of this).

Only you know your road, so only you know what will work for you.

YRMV (Your Route May Vary),

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:16 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimreynolds View Post
EOC is a great way to boost Fe, but it is dangerous and illegal in most states...
Not true. Unless you are in a semi, you can coast in gear but with the clutch disengaged, though I'd reccomend a different strategy for talking your way out of such a ticket. However speeding and tailgating are illegal but no-one seems to mention that?!? Must be really biased against EOC or something to keep seeing this misinformation keep cropping up. Maybe it is a case of "waaah, that sounds too much like work, let's just poo poo it".

And it is only as dangerous as the driver, the brakes are firmer when boost runs out, but I can still lock them up when the boost is gone (and/or downshift and/or use the handbrake). It is just a matter of practice (away from real cars please, you are basically learning to drive again)

Standard Disclaimers Apply:
http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?p=38813
Old 11-15-2007, 03:18 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
Wow, that's awesome.

My only thing about EOC is that I always end up having to go up a hill after the coast, and I don't know at what point to start accelerating again for the hill. Because if I wait too long to go back in gear I will waste gas going up the hill because I won't have enough momentum for it.

hah yea thats the way with me on a cetian long exit ramp. can coast for about a 1/4 mile then theres this hump and a slight grade at the bottom. after coasting your around 55 at th ebottom but the hump knocks it down to like 45 then it seems as if you jamming on the gas to get up to 55 again cuz of the slight grade
Old 11-15-2007, 03:25 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skewbe View Post
Not true. Unless you are in a semi, you can coast in gear but with the clutch disengaged, though I'd reccomend a different strategy for talking your way out of such a ticket. However speeding and tailgating are illegal but no-one seems to mention that?!? Must be really biased against EOC or something to keep seeing this misinformation keep cropping up.

And it is only as dangerous as the driver, the brakes are firmer when boost runs out, but I can still lock them up when the boost is gone (and/or downshift and/or use the handbrake). It is just a matter of practice (away from real cars please, you are basically learning to drive again)

Standard Disclaimers Apply:
http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?p=38813

yea hes right about the coasting in gear. i just wanan know how the cop knows if you were in gear or in neutral...

some cars you cant overcome the no pressure (takes a crapload of force to stop my truck with the booster empty) thers no way i could lock the wheels. the handbrake only locks the rearwheels which any slight turn of the front wheels is gonan put you into a skid/spin. that and it takes up to 30 meters to stop the adverage car from 30 mph. with only ther handbrake(longer if wet). thats only true if it works and the cables dont snap.

while it may be true for some cars, not all cars are equal....
Old 11-15-2007, 03:52 PM   #20
Registered Member

Well a simple vacuum pump and vacuum switch can fix that if you don't feel safe stopping the car without assist. A larger vacuum volume can buy you more time but I would reccomend the electric vacuum pump if your car NEEDS vacuum to stop.

The pump only needs to kick in when the vacuum gets too low, then it can shut off.