I hate my Civic - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2007, 06:00 PM   #1
Registered Member

I hate my Civic

man ooo man,,, I could not for the life of me get the Civic on its game today for the drive home. No amount of P&G,,, fas'ing,,, distance drafting.... Nothing worked! Im fighting for 46 MPG for most of the way home. 46 MPG for a day with just a southeast 3 mph head wind. Temps in the mid 80's. And a car as smooth as glass,,, and it would'nt put out. I came home and jacked its worthless over priced Honda *** 3' in the air and then dropped the jack on it!!!! I wanted to take a masions bar to it!!! The trip home should have been a easy 52 MPG run.

I think Honda has **** well lost its way. If this car dosent settle down on me Im going to trade its over priced worthless sheet metal in on a I4, 5mt Fusion,,, and match its worthless over priced sh***t metal to a freaking ford.

I swear Hondas marketing college numb nuts made this car. And Im postive its over all worthless MPG is why we dont have any other members trying to get good MPG out of a marketing college,, boy greed fest.

Im the only only one beating a dead fricking horse. Honda needs *** whoopin over this car......

Big whoop it will run with if not beat a EP3 last gen Si. The tranny sucks,,,, and to keep a r-18 in its so called vtec at 1.5L is a joke! Honda needs to pull there head out! Im just about ready to send this car back to Ohio and ask that Honda never desigen or builds a car in the USA. Who ever OK'ed this car for production needs to meet me on my front porch.... I bet they wet themsleves and claim they are just ponds in a college boy war. Just like the idiot Nazi's....

psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:45 PM   #2
Registered Member

Well, if you have to sell it under book value...

I'm here to help

At any rate, I hear ya. The new Civics aren't what they used to be (I miss my '97 DX)...

But today was also a steamer (at least up here). IATs were pretty high and power just wasn't there -- had to give-in to quite a bit of speed loss on hills. At least your 1.8 pollutes less.

Regarding the Ford Fusion -- I just rented one and drove about 400+ miles. You may want to reconsider. The first rental was brand new (about 2 months ago) -- drove great, good FE. The accelerated aging of rentals shows quite a bit of wear at 17K miles. Last weekend, on the second rental, the front suspension seemed to age BADLY...if you hit a pothole, it felt like the whole engine and transaxle bounced on underinflated basketballs. Definitely don't go for the automatic -- ratios WAY off and the gear selector had D and L for 5 forward gears -- what happened to choice???

Not to mention the electrical gremlins -- unlocking the doors randomly (nobody was close to the switch during the malfunction) and the turn signals started blinking randomly during one point of the trip. Not a good sign of predicted reliability.

Honda has a good product -- it might not be great for the hypermiler, but for the masses, it helps with overall consumption and emissions. Whatever's made for the American market today isn't going to cut it for FE out of the box.

If it's any consolation, your GasLog shows an awesome effort. Get back on that horse tomorrow...

RH77

Old 06-21-2007, 06:55 PM   #3
Registered Member

Considering your Civic is probably bigger then the 90's Accord, I think the mpg you are getting is pretty good.
mrmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:53 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmad View Post
Considering your Civic is probably bigger then the 90's Accord, I think the mpg you are getting is pretty good.

My wife turned in a 38.5 mpg tank today in her I4, 5at, 05, Accord EX Sedan. SHE DOESNT HYPERMILE. And she fights Tulsa traffic I would'nt take a job for. As it is Im about to quit my Tulsa job,,, and Im a half mile away from hwy 169....

I screwed up real bad,,, I knew I should have bought the Accord LXse, I4, 5mt sedan for the same money..... I can get 44 mpg out of the at Accord no problem.... I figure I could do about the same with a mt Accord as Im doing with a looser Civic....

Honda screwed the world with the R-18... It lacks lean burns and its sp. cats that the oil burning Accord will get.... But hey,,, they have worthless IMA.... The bone heads....
psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:13 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyshack View Post
My wife turned in a 38.5 mpg tank today in her I4, 5at, 05, Accord EX Sedan. SHE DOESNT HYPERMILE. And she fights Tulsa traffic I would'nt take a job for. As it is Im about to quit my Tulsa job,,, and Im a half mile away from hwy 169....

I screwed up real bad,,, I knew I should have bought the Accord LXse, I4, 5mt sedan for the same money..... I can get 44 mpg out of the at Accord no problem.... I figure I could do about the same with a mt Accord as Im doing with a looser Civic....

Honda screwed the world with the R-18... It lacks lean burns and its sp. cats that the oil burning Accord will get.... But hey,,, they have worthless IMA.... The bone heads....
It's not about lean burn, it's about gearing. My V6 auto Camry is the same way compared to the I4s because of the gearing. Manufacturers these days design cars so there really isn't much variance between them. They'll have shorter ratios on a I4 so it accelerates better, and taller ratios on a V6 so it gets better mileage. In your case, the MT Civic has a 5th*R&P=2.92 with a 1668cc engine and 195/60R15 wheels, while the AT five speed 05 Accord has a 5th*R&P=2.51 with a 2354cc engine and 205/60R16 wheels. So, for all intents and purposes, even though the Accord's engine is ~1.41 times larger than the Civic's, The Civic's engine is rotating 1.23 times faster, meaning that Civic only has a displacement advantage of ~1.14 cruising on the highway, which evidently only results in a ~10% (or less) difference in mileage. Out of all the Accord models, the 5sp AT would probably be the best highway cruiser, since it has the tallest gear ratio in OD.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 04:05 AM   #6
Registered Member

Dang calm down man. Honda makes some of the best cars on the planet, IMHO, and you are getting lots more mpg over the EPA rating, so what are you crying for? If you want Prius mileage, buy a Prius. And get used to the fact that mileage will vary from tank to tank. I have been as low as 46 and as high as 50mpg in my little hatchback. It's not the end of the world.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:09 AM   #7
Supporting Member

selling? do I hear owner financing? j/j I wish they reproduced the Crx.

my favorite thread
88HF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 10:36 AM   #8
Registered Member

I must be missing somethng, those numbers look good to me. The new Civics are much bigger and nicer than the older Civics, and a bit more heavy.

I think we forget how small, buzzy and underpowered the previous Civics are/were. I never onwed one for these reasons, worked on several, and always thought they were not as nice as the Corolla. Now that has changed.

-Emil Faber
Spule 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 10:57 AM   #9
Supporting Member

mrmad -

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmad View Post
Bingo. If you ever see an early 90's Accord alongside a current Civic, they are very close in size. A 1993 Accord weighs 2733 lbs, while Psy's Civic is 2740.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 12:51 PM   #10
Registered Member

psy. Careful what you say. Were you in reverse?

He says it drinks gas. Granted he drives as fast as he can with it and not get tickets. Also runs the A/C alot. But in his words 27 mpg sucks. I dont think I could get that in my Civic going backwards at redline.

Seriously, maybe you had more wind than you thought. Slight headwinds can make a big difference. Up here the weather stations are on top of mountains sometimes 20 miles away and the internet weather reports bear little resemblance to the local real weather. Wind direction especially, often are directly opposite.

I like a man who cares. Most would just have another beer.

CO ZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote