I think I'm ready for my Swap now - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2008, 02:25 PM   #1
Registered Member

Talking I think I'm ready for my Swap now

Okay, so I just bought a 91 CRX HF Shell and want to swap in the gas king civic vx engine. The shell is complete without the engine of course. It's got the original wire harness from the HF as well as all other components. So far this is what I got:

-'92 Civic VX Engine and transmission (90,000 miles with uncut engine harness and motor mounts and all other parts necessary for a complete swap)

-NEW '91 CRX HF Motor Mounts (4 of them)

-P07 ECU A00 (Federal)

-P07 ECU L02 (California) To pass smog

-Integra axles as well as VX axles

-NTK 5 wire O2 sensor
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...219565261&rd=1

-VX Wheels

My questions are;

Is it really worth it to spend another $300 and purchase the original HF transmission or is the VX transmission just as good?

Which motor mounts are needed to make the swap?

Do I need a conversion harness to swap from 0bd0 to 0bd1?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Moto...3756.m14.l1318

Can I use my integra axles for the swap?

Thanks for all your help!!!

GasSavers_maxpowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:27 AM   #2
Registered Member

I am not really up to speed on this swap, but I have done other performance swaps (5th gen) civic. I can tell you that the HF tranny is a cable tranny and the VX tranny is a hydro tranny. You will need a hasport cable to hydro conversion kit and this may cost just as much as the difference in trannys. The speedo drive is a consideration also. I would post on hondaswap to find the right mounts. Some real mount experts there. These guys will be keen on the axles also. The teg axles might get you into a spindle swap. I would say that a conversion harness is a must. Good luck with your swap. I have a stock HF and I'm curious to see what gains I could see from this swap.

friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 04:05 PM   #3

I've done this swap. You need to use the HF tranny, mounts, harness, and axles.

Integra axles are totally different. As friz mentioned the trannys are different. They mount differently and they actuate the clutch differently. As for the harness I would buy a FROG harness OBD 0 to OBD 1.
78si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:01 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78si View Post
I've done this swap. You need to use the HF tranny, mounts, harness, and axles.

Integra axles are totally different. As friz mentioned the trannys are different. They mount differently and they actuate the clutch differently. As for the harness I would buy a FROG harness OBD 0 to OBD 1.

Frog Harness? So I guess it's less of a hassle to just use the HF tranny and axles. So I just need to purchase the tranny, axles and harness and I should be set, right? I just purchased the original motor mounts and hopefully those should bolt right up to the vx engine as well.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:35 PM   #5
Registered Member

Bump goes the weasel

Need to know which motor mounts I need in order to correctly swap in this motor tomorrow. Pictures would be neat too.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:35 PM   #6

Use all the mounts for the CRX!
Old 07-30-2008, 10:45 PM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to suspendedhatch
I read that the HF tranny doesn't have a VSS. Without a VSS signal, the P07 ECU wont go into lean burn. There are several other hurdles including custom engine mounts, a custom shift linkage, a custom water neck etc.

http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=6728

You have two ECU's, a federal and a CA "to pass smog". Why would you need a CA ECU to pass smog? I passed smog easily with a federal ECU.

Civic VX, D15Z7, 5 Speed LSD, AEM EMS, AEM UEGO, AEM Twin Fire, Distributor-less, Waste Spark
suspendedhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:08 PM   #8

The vss signal is built into the crx speedo cluster. The conversion harness gets the signal to the PO7. You dont need custom mounts! You have to use everything from the HF including the bracket that bolts between the timing belt. You have to trim the timing belt cover so everything fits. The linkage stays the same(HF). You have to use the HF water neck, nothing custom about it. The wiring is the hardest part of the swap.

The guy in that thread ( http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=6728) had a 85 civic which is totally different than the 91. Thats why he had to do some much custom work. The 91 is way easier.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:29 PM   #9
Registered Member

My main concern is the driver side mount. The hf mounts don't bolt on to the engine so I'm thinking I could just use the vx mount and modify it a little by cutting some of the rubber off of it. Other then that all the hf mounts should fit right on the d15z1 right? As far as the ca ecu goes, it was thrown in complete with the engine so I'd figure I'd just use that ecu for now until I pass smog. Better safe then sorry.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:31 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78si View Post
The vss signal is built into the crx speedo cluster. The conversion harness gets the signal to the PO7. You dont need custom mounts! You have to use everything from the HF including the bracket that bolts between the timing belt. You have to trim the timing belt cover so everything fits. The linkage stays the same(HF). You have to use the HF water neck, nothing custom about it. The wiring is the hardest part of the swap.

The guy in that thread ( http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=6728) had a 85 civic which is totally different than the 91. Thats why he had to do some much custom work. The 91 is way easier.
So I have to remove the timing belt cover, remove the engine mount bracket, and bolt on the hf motor mount bracket in order to use the hf mount?