I want to add cruise control... - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2008, 06:40 PM   #1
Registered Member

I want to add cruise control...

to my 1993 civic hatch dx with a 5 speed. I thought maybe I would try to find a junk 5th gen lx with one and try to make it work. But then again, I dont even know if they put cruise on a lx with a 5 speed. If I go aftermarket, does anyone know of a good source and brand? Im a little wary with the manual shift and all. Rick

Civicrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:53 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Loserkidwac
you shoulds be able to find a 5th gen with cruise but retro fitting it and making sure you get all the components might be tricky...not sure if they did have a 5 spd with cruise...I believe I remember seeing a 5spd Del Sol with cruise so they probably did...either way going after market might just be a simpler install...I was throwing around the idea myself...maybe and after market unit with the OEM controller on the steering wheel, would look pretty clean and stock!

03 Mazdaspeed Protege
91 Honda CRX Si
95 Honda Civic VX *RIP 5/20/08
94 Honda Del Slow D15z1 Swapped
Loserkidwac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:59 PM   #3
Registered Member

I have an older after market vacuum operated audiovox unit- it was about $100. The new audiovox units are supposed to be all electronic. I have been well pleased with it on my Civic 5 speed.
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:46 PM   #4
Site Team / Moderator

JC whitney used to sell aftermarket units that had OEM looking controls. I imagine they still do. I used to have an aftermarket cruise on my old 74 Chevy. Worked great and was a quick and relatively simple install.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:56 AM   #5
Registered Member

Apparently Honda made a 5th gen LX with 5spd and cruise control:
http://contact.usa4sale.net/contacts...er=08744542360
Happy hunting at he junkyard!

Bill
Nrggeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:50 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civicrick View Post
to my 1993 civic hatch dx with a 5 speed. I thought maybe I would try to find a junk 5th gen lx with one and try to make it work. But then again, I dont even know if they put cruise on a lx with a 5 speed. If I go aftermarket, does anyone know of a good source and brand? Im a little wary with the manual shift and all. Rick
You could pull it from a lx civic, or get an aftermarket unit. I installed an audiovox unit in a Nissan NX a few years ago and it worked great!

One cool thing with the audiovox unit, since you have a manual transmission, you don't have to mess with speed sensors or anything. It is a easy install.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:05 AM   #7
Registered Member

I have the same vacuum unit as Erik... actually Erik was the one that helped me make my decision on purchasing the AudioVox CCS-100 just based on his positive experience. My experience is purely positive too!

Even though you may read that this unit is not recommended for Honda's, I purely disagree. I have not had one complaint about it.

If you do install this then make sure you set your PPM to 8000 not 4000 as the installation manual says. I set mine to 4k and it wouldn't cruise past 55mph. After calling Audiovox they told me to set the Pulse Rate to 8k.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:40 AM   #8
beb
Registered Member

I'm early in the process of attempting to retrofit the CC parts from a '94 EX 5-spd onto my '93 Del Sol S 5-spd (still need the 'On' switch from a Del Sol, though, as it is different from that on an EX).

My '94 Del Sol Si 5-spd has CC from the factory, and it works so well that I want it on my '93 (smooth control loop, no surging, holds very well). All of the part numbers from the '94 EX CC system match the part numbers for my '94 Del Sol Si, and the Del Sol S doesn't appear to need much besides wiring to for the parts to fit - all of the holes and fittings are already there, even on the steering wheel.

The first issue I've run into, which I haven't yet fully resolved, is that the set/resume switch uses the SAS's wiring cable in the steering wheel, and the cable's connector for this switch must be swapped out (there is a sort of 'dummy' connector there instead). I damaged the one from the donor car before I knew what I was doing, so need another before proceeding.

I also haven't yet verified that this SAS cable actually has all of the wires needed, but believe that it does. The CC circuit uses three of them: a power wire, which is definitely there as it is shared by the horn and I can see where it loops through the dummy connector that must be swapped out, one for the 'set' switch's signal and one for the 'resume' switch's signal. If those later two wires aren't there, then the whole SAS wire reel on the steering column has to be swapped out if you want to stick with the OEM set/resume switch.

FWIW, I too have installed a CC kit from JCWhitney many years ago - magnets had to be twist-wired onto the driveshaft for the speed sensor. While retrofitting the OEM Honda parts is not a beginner-level project, I suspect that the result is going to be superior in both performance and appearance to that particular device.
beb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:30 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb View Post
FWIW, I too have installed a CC kit from JCWhitney many years ago - magnets had to be twist-wired onto the driveshaft for the speed sensor. While retrofitting the OEM Honda parts is not a beginner-level project, I suspect that the result is going to be superior in both performance and appearance to that particular device.
I don't understand why people have used the magnet kit on Honda's. In addition to Erik, I also talked to a few others on Honda-tech and they all tapped their CC unit strictly into the tach opposed to the Tach & VSS.

Tapped into the Tach, I experience no surging, no lopiness... it feels no different than a stock unit.

After investigating what it takes to retrofit an OEM unit I give you Mad Props . But since I was able to install the Audiovox unit all while my 18 month old son was taking his nap I prefer that for ease of installation.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:22 PM   #10
Site Team / Moderator

The aftermarket unit I put on my 74 Chevy C10 simply read the tach reading off of the distributor. (No VSS on a 74 Chevy). It worked great, and I never had any problems with it.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote