I wonder who spent the most money on gas this year on fuely? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 12-24-2014, 03:31 PM   #11
Registered Member

Cost per mile might be more meaningful for a measurement of efficiency. The high cost per gallon or mega miles driven per year deserve more sympathy for cost/year awards.
Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 04:03 AM   #12
Registered Member

I'm going to come in just under $2K for the 27K miles for my first year in the Mazda 3. If fuel prices stay under $3 a gallon I expect my average per mile cost will slip under 7 cents next year. Once OPEC eases up on Russia, the shale oil production in the US will probably have dropped off due to the price. Then, unless there is another global economic slowdown, $100/barrel of oil will take us right back where we started. Enjoy sub $3 gas while it lasts.

Old 12-28-2014, 04:39 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamit View Post
I'm going to come in just under $2K for the 27K miles for my first year in the Mazda 3. If fuel prices stay under $3 a gallon I expect my average per mile cost will slip under 7 cents next year. Once OPEC eases up on Russia, the shale oil production in the US will probably have dropped off due to the price. Then, unless there is another global economic slowdown, $100/barrel of oil will take us right back where we started. Enjoy sub $3 gas while it lasts.
Im getting only slightly better mileage than you, and yet my cost per mile for fuel is double!

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 06:01 AM   #14
Registered Member

Neat to look at those chart-toppers. Didn't expect hot shot trucks in there! Thanks!
Jcp385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 12:50 AM   #15
Registered Member

$3370 for me at 0.136pm.. I'm in Australia, and drive a 2010 Mazda 3 Diesel.. Currently I'm averaging at around 43-44mpg.. I'm hoping to see an improvement in my economy, as I've recently changed tyres. Be interesting to see if I start getting the 45mpg+ I used to get. All the best from Australia
rosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:43 PM   #16
Registered Member

Just joined today but I've been tracking my services and fuel costs since acquiring this car and beginning the rebuild in June 2013 with ACAR on my phone. Unfortunately I corrupted my SDCard and lost my backup so I lost everything I had. My records now start at March of 2014.

From March 6, 2014 through December 23, 2014 I racked up 5,525 miles (pretty much all city) for a total of $1,383.32. I fill up once a week so I'd guess I probably spent about $1,700 or so this year on gas.

Doesn't help that I average about 15 MPG but it sure is a treat to drive!
jbelcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 01:51 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyrobo View Post
That's an interesting question. I imagine the person who spent the most is someone who had a data entry error in their logs. We sometimes see people entering their mileage in the gallon field (imagine 23,453 gallons). We are working on a system to identify these and mark them as questionable and remove them from the results. Once the algorithm is dialed in we will then validate data on submissions and try to alert users with a prompt saying "It looks like you might have put your odometer value in the gallon field."

Maybe we can run a report and filter out obvious ones for 2014?
Would like to see that algorithm implemented. Was looking at 2015 Fiat 500s, and noticed someone with a Fiat 500 Abarth had better MPG than my 500 Sport. Then I noticed he had an obvious error with missed fuel-ups, but didn't flag it as a missed fuel-up. Thus it listed one of his fuelups as around 100mpg, which is impossible in ANY Fiat unless you're driving down a mountain with a tailwind.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:32 AM   #18
Registered Member

I haven't spent anything on fuel since we sold our last fossile fuelled car a month ago and very little in the last six months since we bought the electric car Nissan Leaf (used). It works very well. We've driven it 13'000 miles already around a radius of 190miles from home. No need for fuel at all.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:02 AM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8$PG View Post
I haven't spent anything on fuel since we sold our last fossile fuelled car a month ago and very little in the last six months since we bought the electric car Nissan Leaf (used). It works very well. We've driven it 13'000 miles already around a radius of 190miles from home. No need for fuel at all.
How does it work out cost wise compared to a conventional car? Whenever I work out the comparative costs, the battery lease works out at almost double the cost of fuel in a normal car.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 06:04 AM   #20
Registered Member

Replacement of the battery costs 5000EUR today and lasts 200'000km. That is about 0,025EUR/km. Even if you have to change the battery early at say 100kkm that's less than half of what a typical car runs in fuel. Batteries are becoming better and prices are going down rapidly. Electricity is about 0,02EUR/km.

Fossile fuel is about 0,12EUR/km and are going up for a non diesel mid sized car. Soon in about 30-40years there wont be much left for transportation and it will be really expensive. If you have a newer smaller really efficient diesel today and mostly drive long trips on small country roads maybe the fuel cost is 0,06EUR/km, in that case the running cost is about the same.

There is a lease offer here of about 250EUR/month for a new Renault Zoe. Leasing only the batteries is not that popular since you are stuck with the monthly fee as long as you own the car.