Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2006, 08:52 AM   #11
Registered Member

Choosing tires...

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher
It's not worth going nuts over. Go down to your favorite tire store and see what kind of deal you can cut.
IMHO...there is a difference in tires!
Consider this (after years & years of "been there, done that", corporate R&D work, & reading many pubs. on tires)...rather than pro-ing & con-ing & personal preferences, B.F.Goodrich ( owned & monitored by Michelin) makes perhap the lowest cost (in dollars/mile of tread wear), best performing (max. wet traction, quiet running, predictable behavior) I've ever used. There are quite a few I won't touch (Jap tires of any brand! Japan has no rubber supply that is quality...Michelin owns their own rubber plantations!)... and cut-rate brands (Who knows who makes Sears, K-mart, Walmart, auto stores, etc....contract tires!).
Use a bit of logic / common sense! After all...you life is riding on four contact patches! Tons of mass guided thru four little patches of tread/carcass interfacing with the pavement material.

Ted Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 08:13 AM   #12
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Hart
IMHO...there is a difference in tires!
Consider this (after years & years of "been there, done that", corporate R&D work, & reading many pubs. on tires)...rather than pro-ing & con-ing & personal preferences, B.F.Goodrich ( owned & monitored by Michelin) makes perhap the lowest cost (in dollars/mile of tread wear), best performing (max. wet traction, quiet running, predictable behavior) I've ever used. There are quite a few I won't touch (Jap tires of any brand! Japan has no rubber supply that is quality...Michelin owns their own rubber plantations!)... and cut-rate brands (Who knows who makes Sears, K-mart, Walmart, auto stores, etc....contract tires!).
Use a bit of logic / common sense! After all...you life is riding on four contact patches! Tons of mass guided thru four little patches of tread/carcass interfacing with the pavement material.
I'm saving my pennies for the michelins. I personally like the yokohama avid series tires. But not for this car. I also have enjoyed bf goodrich tires in the past. I agree about the poor quality contract built tires. I used to be a sidewall and treadplate finisher so I know how this works. The tire that got cut was a goodyear viva 2 which is a walmart only tire. It appears to be a 40-50k mile tire. And not as strongly built as the 5 year old firestones that came on the car OEM.

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote