I'm gonna fix my ex but good... - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2007, 07:24 AM   #1
Registered Member

I'm gonna fix my ex but good...

this ex that is.

Where do I start? From what I've gleaned while here I think there are 2 categories: things that always apply (tire pressure and slow down) and things that sometimes apply (warm air induction works for satruns, but not for everyone)

So, where to start? My budget is shot after buying it, Christmas is coming and I have 3 kids... you get the idea. Low buck rules.

Here's the initial list, critique at will:
tire pressure right now 18psi (really, it is) up to 50psi (sidewall max +20%)
grill block
block heater (it'll probably be the dipstick kind)
injector kill switch?

What else works on VTECs?

I don't think I can afford a scan gauge for a while, has does anyone have data on highway cruising speed and FE, shift points, engine off vs engine on coasting?

"If you want to save gas I suggest you permanently remove the drivers seat and steering wheel. That seems to help." -Oscar Halverson

oneinchsidehop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 07:29 AM   #2
Registered Member

I'm originally from Vermont. St. Johnsbury area.

UfoTofU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 07:33 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UfoTofU View Post
I'm originally from Vermont. St. Johnsbury area.
Just down the road from here, glad to see the area represented! 'course I think I'd have moved someplace warm rather than Maine...

If we have other people in the area it sure would be fun to do some mileage runs in the spring.

"If you want to save gas I suggest you permanently remove the drivers seat and steering wheel. That seems to help." -Oscar Halverson

Old 11-28-2007, 08:01 AM   #4
Registered Member

Cruising 55mph is a good speed, 60 can do it also. I did look in your planned mod and saw a block heater. Since you are in the north part of the US, and winter is already there, you should get one as soon as possible and get a timer to set up your block heater for about 2 hours before you leave (3 if its really cold...). Winter is bad for MPG so a block heater is a good way to avoid idling in the morning, and also to get the car warm in half the time.

Its also cheap and easy to install, and its cheap on electricity, I read somewhere that letting your car plug for 3 months of 30 days, at 10 hours a day, coast about 25 dollars (Quebec electricity price, so maybe 50 for you in the US), but still you aint gonna use it all winter long, and definitely not 10 hours a night, so you can split the 50 box by 5 (10/2...), no more than 10 dollars a season.
GasSavers_BIBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:39 AM   #5

My list for newly purchase vehicles:

Brakes, tires, oil change, tranny fluid change, wipers, lights/signals, plugs/wires, distr cap & rotor, coolant.

Air in the tires and change your habits is a given in the first 30 minutes. After that my considerations are safety/safety/safety.
Mayhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:47 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Incredible View Post

Brakes, tires, oil change, tranny fluid change, wipers, lights/signals, plugs/wires, distr cap & rotor, coolant.

Air in the tires and change your habits is a given in the first 30 minutes. After that my considerations are safety/safety/safety.
Driving safe usually mean good FE.
GasSavers_BIBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:56 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Incredible View Post

brakes- check
tires- check (even though they would fit in at a tractor pull... snow tires)
oil change -recommendations?
tranny fluid-recommendations?
wipers- check
lights/signals- check
plugs/wires-recommendations?
cap/rotor-recommendations?
coolant-recommendations?

We're on the same page I think, just wondering about specifics. Oil (5w30? Synthetic? Brand?) and tranny lube seem to come under the lighter is better heading, just looking for specifics related to this car, same with spark plugs. It seems every manufacturer claims a million percent improvement...

I've been searching the posts but I'm having trouble figuring out which things work for which engine/car and which things are just general.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:18 AM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to ajohnmeyer
Cant go wrong with the OEM (NGK) plugs, I doubt you're going to see a significant increase in FE with any of the "super ubotainium triple 5000" sparkplugs over the OEM plugs. Plus even if you buy them from the dealer they should be cheaper.

Team OPEC Busters!
ajohnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:20 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIBI View Post
Cruising 55mph is a good speed, 60 can do it also. I did look in your planned mod and saw a block heater. Since you are in the north part of the US, and winter is already there, you should get one as soon as possible and get a timer to set up your block heater for about 2 hours before you leave (3 if its really cold...). Winter is bad for MPG so a block heater is a good way to avoid idling in the morning, and also to get the car warm in half the time.

Its also cheap and easy to install, and its cheap on electricity, I read somewhere that letting your car plug for 3 months of 30 days, at 10 hours a day, coast about 25 dollars (Quebec electricity price, so maybe 50 for you in the US), but still you aint gonna use it all winter long, and definitely not 10 hours a night, so you can split the 50 box by 5 (10/2...), no more than 10 dollars a season.
Funny, we get our electricity from Quebec, but it's cheaper here... thank God for small favors.

I thought I'd get a recirculating heater (aftermarket but there is none listed for hondas... do hondas have an odd sized lower radiator hose?)
I've notice that the block heaters all have 3 prong plugs, and the timers 2 prong... is it safe to use a ground lift adapter?

I think your right about the 55mph, any slower than that and the engine seems to labor, it just seems to like higher revs than I'm used to, especially with hills thrown in.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:27 AM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to ajohnmeyer
Looks like you have a D16Y8, soo...
(as if this needs to be said) keep it out of VTEC (5300rpm cut-in)

Also, if you could get it cheaply, a 4-2-1 aftermarket header could help you out a bit. It'll have a lot less mass than your stock header, therefore it will heat up your engine bay a lot faster, if you want to do a WAI this could help. The other benifit is that just putting on a 4-2-1 header should give you a FE bump.

You can generally find cheapo headers on ebay, but check your local boneyard for riced-out hondas first. Also craigslist or freecycle would be good places to check.

Team OPEC Busters!
ajohnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote