Improving a Gruman LLV - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-15-2008, 11:49 AM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to Javarod Send a message via AIM to Javarod Send a message via Yahoo to Javarod
Improving a Gruman LLV

Ok, consider this a challenge, and its all theoretical, I don't think these are even available to the general public quite yet.

The Gruman LLV was created under contract for the government, LLV stands for Long Life Vehicle, and 20 years is the projected life span. Part of GM's S family (Bravado, Jimmy, S-Blazer, Safari and Astro), its Iron Duke 4 cylinder gets a whopping 16 or so MPG.

The goal? No less than high 20s, with low 30s being preferable, but how to do it? I think an engine swap right off the bat, the old Iron Duke just isn't enough engine, and an engine constantly straining to move the vehicle uses more gas than it should, and has a shorter life span than you'd expect. Re-gearing would also likely be a good idea, but beyond those, how would you wring more mileage out of it?

Javarod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:16 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Heh...are you, by any chance, a mail carrier?

I looked it up and found this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grumman_LLV

And, your vehicle is named "Flying Post Box"...

Old 05-15-2008, 12:31 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hmmm, might start with aero mods..............
Dalez0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:21 PM   #4
Registered Member

I think the easiest thing to do would be to swap the RHD steering setup into an early S10 or S15 with that engine or the FI 2.8 ... if that's the only attraction of it...
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:47 PM   #5
Registered Member

Keep the motor, swap the trans. High load kills mileage with an automatic, but reaps huge benefits with a manual.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:50 PM   #6
Registered Member

Yeah, TC stall point climbs higher with applied load (or increased torque) you can compensate by increasing the mass density of the fluid (bottles of Lucas tranny fix)
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:38 PM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to Javarod Send a message via AIM to Javarod Send a message via Yahoo to Javarod
Chuckles, "Courier actually, see my thread in car reviews, still taking opinions, thoughts, ideas, etc over there. Not sure diesel is possible in this case, what would you swap? I'd think a VW diesel'd be over tasked, and the engines typically used in a full sized truck would be too heavy, no? As to keeping the engine and swapping the tranny, that's certainly an easy change, but how good an engine is the Iron Duke? That was used in the first generation of the S series, but I believe they used other fours later on, as well as a number of V6's, would another of those be better? I'm also suspecting that a change in the axle ratio'd be a good idea, since these are typically used for low speed local driving, I suspect that the ratio might not be the best for longer drives."

Grins at theholycow, "BTW, congrats on figuring out what I was referring too, couldn't resist being cryptic. When I worked at an auto parts store, some of the 'catalogs' identified these as a Chevy T10."
Javarod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:41 AM   #8
Registered Member

On second thought diesel would be nice. With a manual box of course. You could get a TDI with the same power, more torque, great mileage.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiki
Other notable features are an exceptionally tight turning radius and a low-geared transmission for pulling heavy cargo.
I'd find out which trans is used and what ratios. Also find out what the ratio the rear end is. I'm thinking the gearing is your main problem. The Iron Duke was also used in Astro vans and got pretty good mileage.
ihatemybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 07:55 AM   #10

EPA, the 2.5L was rated 18/24 mpg compared to the 15/20 for the 4.3L. Not to bad for a RWD mid-size van. Checking the full-size 4x4s in the Garage on this site where people are trying, the 2.5 did get better mileage. However, vans in general will never get great mileage without extensive aero/mechanical improvements. Hell, I'm quite happy seeing 20+ mpg on Green's info center.

ihatemybike is offline   Reply With Quote