is the VX really so much better than the CX? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2007, 09:35 AM   #1
Registered Member

is the VX really so much better than the CX?

hi there all.

like many it seems, i've been looking for a clean VX, and having a hard time finding one. i posted a question recently about a car with a dubious history, and have since decided to pass, based largely on input from folks on this forum.

my new question: is the VX really so much better than the CX? i understand the fuel economy to be around 5 mpg lower and it has considerably LESS horsepower. is the lack of power frustrating? does this FE difference seem about right? what are people's experiences with these? is the VX getting all the hype simply because it's the MOST efficient?

GasSavers_zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:14 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Short Answer: The VX is easier to get better FE numbers with.

Long Answer: The VX has Lean-burn, a wideband O2, VTEC (for when you need that extra HP to merge onto the highway), aero mods from the factory, and alloy wheels. In all honesty, the VX is more fun to drive, and yes, can be more expensive to repair due to the L1H1 wideband (sometimes referred to as an LAF) cost.

Personally, I have driven a CX in stock form....very disappointing in terms of being able to merge easily/smoothly onto the highway. It accelerates the same whether you mash the go pedal or not. A CX can be made to get VX numbers (or better if you look at basjoos's garage) with aero mods and driving technique modifications.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:47 AM   #3
Supporting Member

I owned a DX, CX and VX over the past year and the VX can't be beaten in stock form as far as FE goes. I will also agree wholeheartedly with TomO that the VX is a much nicer drive when it comes to available power. If you are prepared to get your VX from another state (drive or fly there) there seem to be enough VX's available still if you have a bit of patience. I would highly recommend waiting for one instead of going for a CX if you are buying a used Cicic hatchback anyway.
McPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:03 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
The other scenario that I forgot to mention would be to get any model of 92-95 civic hatchback, or eve 88-91 CRX (if it suits your needs) and swap in a VX motor. Sometimes you can get the chassis (in the condition) you want for less money. Then, if you are mechanically inclined, can swap in a VX drivetrain and make your own VX.

Hmm, I have a feeling that one of these days we should collaborate all of the VX drivetrain installation threads and make a "super happy fun time VX installation thread".

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:40 PM   #5
Registered Member

I'd like to convert my car ( a '93 DX ) to a VX.
From what I understand though it is such a royal P.I.T.A. that you are much better off just buying a VX.
I find it very hard to drive a stick shift car - especially on hills with an expensive car behind me.
My brain runs on just a few megahertz and has a hard time trying to multitask. I worry about hitting the brake vs. clutch, grinding the transmission , and stalling with someone driving into me.
And hey ..I have a hard time playing music for the same reason - I have a hard time doing two things at once ( strumming the chords while you play. )

I know it just takes practice... but unless the manual car were a second car, I don't know when and where I could realistically do that.

So ..which would be less costly ... buying a VX and installing an auto transmission into it ( sacrilige ! ) or trying to install a VX engine into my auto DX.
This would pose all sorts of problems in both cases such as the electrical wiring would have to changed out, and a whole mess of other stuff.
In the end I wonder what an auto VX would get mileage wise.
Nerds laugh at me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:43 PM   #6
Registered Member

Options 3, use the hand brake on the hills.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:07 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skewbe View Post
Options 3, use the hand brake on the hills.
Here in Colombia where the hills are VERY steep compared, everyone uses the ebrake all the time. It really helps to save burning the clutch all the time.

No matter what car you start learning to drive manual with, you'll have this problem. At first, avoid this problem hills. Later, it will come so natural that you won't even realize it's a hill.

My 2nd car was a manual, and I hated it at first, but now that I've driven manual cars only for the last 7 years, I love them and will never buy an auto if I have a choice.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:12 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeb View Post
my new question: is the VX really so much better than the CX? i understand the fuel economy to be around 5 mpg lower and it has considerably LESS horsepower. is the lack of power frustrating? does this FE difference seem about right? what are people's experiences with these? is the VX getting all the hype simply because it's the MOST efficient?
I owned an integra 5spd before my VX, and was scared when test driving the vx I would absolutely hate how slow it was. I was completely wrong. It has great power for the mpg it gets. I owned and have driven non-vtec sohc Hondas before, and most can barely get up to speed when merging...they are NOT fun to drive. Unless you like to mash down the pedal all the way all the time to just keep up with traffic, I would stay away from the cx/dx hatches.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:14 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeb View Post
is the lack of power frustrating?
No. Boring? Yes.

You can't do any risky/aggressive merges in a CX. You kinda have to plan your moves more. No biggie.

I drove mine for 80k miles (just got rid of it at 192k) in mostly highway driving. Best I got for FE was 49.5 for a tank. I'd average 45mpg.

It'll effortlessly cruise at 70-75--that's fine for pretty much anywhere in the country.
gamby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:25 AM   #10
Registered Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerds laugh at me View Post
I'd like to convert my car ( a '93 DX ) to a VX.
From what I understand though it is such a royal P.I.T.A. that you are much better off just buying a VX.
I find it very hard to drive a stick shift car - especially on hills with an expensive car behind me.
My brain runs on just a few megahertz and has a hard time trying to multitask. I worry about hitting the brake vs. clutch, grinding the transmission , and stalling with someone driving into me.
And hey ..I have a hard time playing music for the same reason - I have a hard time doing two things at once ( strumming the chords while you play. )

I know it just takes practice... but unless the manual car were a second car, I don't know when and where I could realistically do that.

So ..which would be less costly ... buying a VX and installing an auto transmission into it ( sacrilige ! ) or trying to install a VX engine into my auto DX.
This would pose all sorts of problems in both cases such as the electrical wiring would have to changed out, and a whole mess of other stuff.
In the end I wonder what an auto VX would get mileage wise.
I would recommend getting a VX with a manual transmission and driving the daylights out of it. After a few tanks of getting great mileage, I bet you'll start to get real comfortable with the stick.

On hills, you could just ease off the brake and let the car roll back until it touches someones expensive car, behind you. That way, they can hold you until you get the gas, clutch, emergency break coordination worked out.

Presuming you don't want to really do that, maybe you could find some hill that isn't busy, to practice on. You could put a piece of 2*4 behind one of the rear tires, to stop you from rolling backward, to far, then just practice until you start to get a feel for the coordination involved.

You could put a automatic in a VX, but you'd end up getting probably a 10% drop in mileage. I would recommend you buy something which already has an automatic, if that's the route you really feel you need to go. You won't have to fiddle with getting it converted and you'll still probably get near the mileage you would, if you did convert a manual to an automatic, anyway.

Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote