It's cold!!! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-13-2010, 10:02 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Dust
It's cold!!!

I have a 11-15 minute drive, and the aftermarket guage only gets up to 140F.

I have a turbo in the car(OEM), and I have water injection installed pre and post turbo. The intake has a hose attachment that goes behind the headlight. I am thinking about pulling it out and letting it suck air from toward the turbo.

Daihatsu Move pictures 1999

here is a pic of the car. The turbo is above the license plate, and the radiator is on the opposite side.
The top grill is half blocked already(to protect the turbo), and I am considering blocking the other half off too. I will start with those two things, and see how the temps do. If that doesn't work, then I will try to block the bottom half with something attached to the grill, not to the radiator, to prevent too much airflow loss.

Anyone see any problems with this?

GasSavers_Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:14 PM   #2
Registered Member

Have you checked your thermostat? I don't know your car, but I'd think it should be warmer than that...

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:19 PM   #3
Registered Member

The car during the summer hovers around 180 and then the fan kicks on. This is mounted after the T-stat, so don't consider it real engine temp. I think there is just too much cold air over the radiator to get the temps up.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:26 PM   #4
Registered Member

You in Japan? Ah, I see, Mito. Great fun.

They have some awesome small vehicles.

Don't have any suggestions, just wanted to send a shout out because I really miss Japan. Was there from 1990 to 2000.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:03 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBob View Post
Have you checked your thermostat? I don't know your car, but I'd think it should be warmer than that...
Hi Joe, you replied the same way to my temps, didn't you.
You should know that small economical engines don't warm up as fast as your big fuel consuming engine/car. You should compare the absolute fuel consumption per time or mileage (mine: 6l/100 km, yours 17l/100km). You will see that your engine really has a lot more fuel burnt that goes up into heat into your engine (approx. 30% goes up into heat loss into the engine). Mine and this small engine doesn't have such a big amount of fuel burnt for warming up the engine. We hardly have enough heat left to heat up the cab.
i-DSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:24 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I've always assumed that a smaller, less powerful engine would heat up faster. The engine has to make the same amount of work since you're going to use approximately the same energy to move a given vehicle; even if it does it more efficiently, a smaller engine might use 50% of its available power to do what a larger engine does on 20% of its power. Plus, the smaller engine has less mass in its block and coolant that it needs to heat up.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:03 AM   #7
Registered Member

blocked the bottom grill, temps seems to be getting there faster, without getting over.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:07 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-DSi View Post
Hi Joe, you replied the same way to my temps, didn't you.
You should know that small economical engines don't warm up as fast as your big fuel consuming engine/car. You should compare the absolute fuel consumption per time or mileage (mine: 6l/100 km, yours 17l/100km). You will see that your engine really has a lot more fuel burnt that goes up into heat into your engine (approx. 30% goes up into heat loss into the engine). Mine and this small engine doesn't have such a big amount of fuel burnt for warming up the engine. We hardly have enough heat left to heat up the cab.
I've done a rough comparison (very rough) between my 1 liter Geo @ 1700 lbs weight, and my 4.1 liter Cadillac at 3800 lbs weight...they both take about the same time to reach operating temperature...if anything, the Cad seems to take just a bit longer.

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:01 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBob View Post
I've done a rough comparison (very rough) between my 1 liter Geo @ 1700 lbs weight, and my 4.1 liter Cadillac at 3800 lbs weight...they both take about the same time to reach operating temperature...if anything, the Cad seems to take just a bit longer.
You guys must be right. Should be approx. the same. I misread also your fuelconsumption Joe, I thought you had a car that consumed 17 l/100 km, but it's 13.
i-DSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:46 PM   #10
Registered Member

i-DSi, there may be some merit in what you say as well...the cooling systems on each car are designed for the conditions encountered in each car...the Geo has a small grille opening and a shrimpy radiator, whereas the Cad has a very large grille opening and a large radiator. I expect that the engineers who designed both cars designed them for similar warm-up and cooling characteristics, despite the difference in the size of the engines and cars.