It's official: Honda Canada to revise 2008 Fit for better fuel economy - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2007, 11:13 AM   #21
Tuggin at the surly bonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Honda knows they are gambling with the public's perception of the company's "green" image on this issue (coming out swinging against the ecoAuto program).

Miller effectively admits this in the first paragraph of his letter to me.

I'm sure they decided in advance that (personal and fast) responses to individuals would be a priority, as a way to try to mitigate potential backlash from the segment of their customer base that is concerned about environmental/efficiency issues.

I have to admit that his letter has me considering more seriously some of Honda's points about the program.

I just wish they had made those points publicly, rather than throwing a hissy fit and basing the PR campaign around the safety smokescreen rather than the rational arguments they can make.
Sometimes execs 'go around' their own PR departments at the peril of the company's image.

Old 06-13-2007, 04:11 AM   #22
Registered Member

It's official:

Honda tweaks Fit, Civic fuel use

Tony Van Alphen
Business Reporter
Jun 13, 2007

Honda Canada is tinkering with two cars to improve fuel efficiency so they can qualify for $1,000 rebates under the federal government's controversial auto rebate program, a senior company official revealed yesterday.

Honda research and development staff in Japan are working to increase fuel efficiency on the Fit subcompact and Civic compact for the 2008 model year, executive vice-president Jim Miller said.

In the month after the budget, Yaris sales jumped 15 per cent compared with April 2006 while Fit business increased slightly. But Fit sales soared 30 per cent in May when Honda introduced its rebate, while Yaris deliveries improved 8 per cent.

Miller said Honda is confident it can achieve the extra gas saving for the 2008 Fit within months but it may be more difficult for the Civic, which is the country's best-selling car.

He could not provide any details on whether Honda is adjusting engines or removing weight in the two models to improve fuel efficiency.

"There are modifications being made," Miller said.

full article: http://wheels.ca/article/28286

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:47 PM   #23
Registered Member

I hope Honda switches from reactive to proactive. It seems obvious that fuel economy will get more important, and considering the long development cycles they should really hedge their bets with a HX-type model. A good number to aim for is 40 mpg in the new tests.
GasSavers_Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:30 AM   #24
Registered Member

The problem with the whole thing is the way the testing works. You can get a Yaris without the full compliment of airbags, which makes it lighter. When they test the car for fuel economy they don't test them separately if they have certain option packages added, like airbags for example.

So Yaris x has reduced airbags and gets 6.4 L/100 Km, that is the one they test.

Yaris y has the extra equipment added and is heavier and real world probably gets a little less, maybe 6.6 L/100 Km, but it still gets the rebate because it's option less sibling made the cutoff.

In the real world the Yaris and Fit (with the same equipment) probably get the same FE (the Yaris may be slightly ahead, but by how much?), but there is no Fit to compete with the Yaris X, and because of that all Fits loose the rebate while all Yarii get it.

On the other hand it's Honda's own fault, if they had imported the Fit with the 1.3 L engine as an option (and less aggressive gearing) they wouldn't have this problem.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:54 PM   #25
Supporting Member

James -

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
It seems like honda could have made it more efficient if they had wanted to from the start. They have made quite a few super efficient cars, and it would have been easy to implement a few of these innovations into the current car for a small sum. Changing the car will probably be more difficult, but it seems a small gearing change or (easier) a plastic aero panel or tire change could be done.
Is there a Honda economy tranny out there that will "Fit" onto the current US Fit? If yes, then someone could import a Honda Fit tranny with taller gears into the US.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:05 PM   #26
Registered Member

Speaking of small cars, any news on the Nissan Versa? My friend just got one, and he loves it. But he previously had a car that had many problems.

He works for Nissan, so I can't really get an unbiased opinion.

Thanks. I've been reading reviews. Looks like the Versa has an extra 255 lbs. and got 26.8 mpg during a week of mixed driving here.

It's supposed to get 34-36 mpg on the freeway.

Anybody have an objective report?

m
Old 06-14-2007, 01:10 PM   #27
*shrug*

fuel economy forum
vegan recipes
green home improvement
honda gas mileage
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 04:06 PM   #28
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
man... talk about a thread jacking. honda is way better than nissan. 26mpg is really really bad for the size and acceleration of the car. the lowest my fit ever got was in the low 30s and that was while it was breaking it. the only advantage the versa has is gear #6, but the honda gets better highway mpg so that really isnt that great...

i didnt mean to shoot you down so harshly, but the thread jacking called for it maybe you shouldve started a new thread?

to address the issue of the gearing: i believe in another thread on this site the gear ratios were posted and gears 1-4 are longer in other countries but gear 5 is shorter in other countries. i thought its was particularly weird...
Old 06-14-2007, 08:25 PM   #29
Registered Member

nissan advertisement

I get a laugh out of a Nissan ad I've been hearing lately on the radio. They brag, yes, BRAG, about getting 28 MPG! The disturbing thing is, does the general public think that's worth bragging about, as Nissan apparently does? I hope not.
bzipitidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 02:45 AM   #30
Registered Member

sorry to thread jack but nissan reliability is ****.

My mom had a new 02 altima and the engine broke down twice. It had to get towed twice.

Next, I had a 99 altima and every couple of months something new broke. My mom got a 06 civic and I got a 99 civic. Problem solved. The only idiotic mistake I made was I bought a car with clutch problems. This is what happens when you don't know anything about cars.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote