Jetta TDI 2009, Do the chips help - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-29-2009, 12:04 AM   #1

Jetta TDI 2009, Do the chips help

Jetta TDI 2009, Do the chips help with horsepower increases and improved gas mileage, if so which one is good or the best.

The counter points I have heard prev, was if you could improve gas mileage by 5 mpg, for $200-400, would VW, do this themselves.

Are there any risk with using chip, ie blowing you engine

tak2asprin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:05 PM   #2
Registered Member

Don't play with the chips if you want to keep your engine. Those chips that make you magically `save fuel` just screw up the fuel flow, which makes your engine run lean and could cause problems. Those chips that claim better HP screw up the fuel flow (Notice a trend?) and dump more gas in to make it more rich, which can again cause more problems.

Your engine is tuned to the chip it left with from the factory. I've seen these magical `chips` that claim better mileage or HP but aren't even wired with electricity.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...8173624AATrX3H

http://www.tuning.wanadoo.co.uk/chips-and-chipping.htm

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/arc.../t-609247.html

http://forum.astraownersnetwork.co.u...ad.php?t=42019

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/60...ip-a-hoax.html

Save your money, put it into another account, earn interest, and just maintain your vehicles fuel and ignition system.

Pontiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:30 PM   #3

Actually they do fine, it is a Diesel and it won't run lean. If it runs lean it goes slower. I would start with bigger injectors first then a chip. you can get tuner chips that are tuned to your car. I am not sure with your newer car what they do. problem is that with the extra power you get a bigger FOOT and you want to go fast. My car is older diesel and with the newer ones I am sure people are modding it already for better performance and MPG.

Check this site for all of your TDI questions they know best.

http://www.tdiclub.com/

later

erick
VWJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:24 PM   #4
Registered Member

Doesn't apply to VW's. Chipping has been a common upgrade on all VW's for years. Its not actually a "chip" but an ECU reflash in most cases. Plus, these cars are turbo and diesel. Its one of the first mods most people do with their vdubs. They range from 200-500. Link above to tdiclub is a great start for more info.
Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 04:27 PM   #5

I haven't gotten into modding my '09 (Yet?) but I must agree with the tdiclub.com recommendation. A wealth of info there. A much better place to ask this specific question.
Timbuck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:14 PM   #6

thanks for the back up , herby and Timbuck2. I think in many cases that the little addon to many cars does not work. But some cars it does. Getting your ECU upgraded for your car in a tuners hands can benifit some cars. I think most cars all come with a set program from the factory. Programing your car for where you live, altitude, weather and such makes it run alot better. It is not a quick fix like the ones on tv that tell you that you can gain 50% better fuel milage! LOL! In the VW Diesel community there are several Chip companys that do a great job. Some you can send the info over the internet and the company will tune it for you!

Injectors well at least on my old 01 jetta TDI with 90 hp and 155lbs of torque can boost it to 110 hp and over 200lb of torque! Torque is what matters in Diesels. SPelling of it does not! LOL!

Erick
Old 06-06-2009, 04:13 AM   #7

For 09's, there isnt really much out there. I would hold back until modders figure out the exhaust system as a chip that pushes more fuel into the engine, also creates more soot that the DPF has to deal with and its not designed for that much.

Im eagerly awaiting my warranty to expire and the tuners to figure out how to mitigate the dpf problems.
alnmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:28 AM   #8

True, with the new clean Diesel cars the emission of the tail pipe will be a tricky to over come. but I am sure there are the True Gear heads outthere working on beefing it up right now. Keep checking the performance forum for details.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:30 AM   #9
Registered Member

VW Junky thank you for pointing out that a Diesel can't "run lean" as it is an impossibility in a compression ignition engine to do so, like you said all that a "lean" mixture will get you is reduced RPM's.

I have a question, I've read that the TDI chips advance the timing of the engines, this too seems to be impossible since there is no spark plug ignition to advance. I assume that the writers are talking about advancing the fuel injection pulse, is that correct? If so, it is still difficult for me to grasp how this would change the "timing" of the engine unless it is spraying earlier in the exhaust cycle which allows additional uncombusted fuel / air mixture to exit through the exhaust system to reduce the residual combustion byproducts left in the cylinder. That to me would indicate additional fuel requirements so is this basicaly a horsepower bump, at the expense of short term fuel economy penalties?

I don't know much about modern computer controlled diesels, but I used to work a fair amount on older generation marine (boat) diesels and think I have a fair grasp on the concept.

Thanks for any enlightenment that you can share, I appreciate it and want to learn more about this technology.
bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:53 AM   #10

No problem, I think timing is injection timing on diesels. Keep reading on

http://www.tdiclub.com/

they are crazy about TDI's and other diesels. In the forum section there is so much info you can read for weeks!

If you find out any good bits for milage please post them here. I just don't have time to read it much. 3 kids, and honey due list to no end.

late

Erick