K&N Air Filters/Synthetic oil. - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2007, 10:26 AM   #11
Registered Member

Over in the performance world K&N filters aren't liked. Too much dust found on the wrong side of the filter for people who care about their machines. Also, if you overoil the filter when cleaning it, the oil will build up on the MAF and cause mileage/performance problems. Not good. Those who care about their machines would rather run a paper filter, and modify it to use a larger filter, than run a K&N filter and have their engines sandpapered. K&N might be good on a racing engine, but I'll never run another one after my experiences with them.

Telco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:46 PM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to baddog671
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
If synth was proven to improve efficiency over equivalent weight dino oil, you'd better believe the oilco's would be touting it in their marketing. They're not.

Its ability to improve efficiency applies to a very narrow range of temperature-dependent circumstances (ie cold weather starts), and even there the improvement is tiny.
Even if the FE improvement fall short, you can still easily run twice as long with good synthetic oil. So you might not save money at the pump, but you will when you change your oil...

Old 07-31-2007, 04:02 PM   #13
Registered Member

I picked up my M1 0w-20 and Wix filter today for the MZ3's first oil change.

Screw the K&N

I'll keep running my M1 at 10k mile OCI's or better.

psy
psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:09 PM   #14
Stay true to the Game!

I like that Mobil 1 is finally pushing for extended oil drains using the extended performance oil line. The only thing that I don't like is that if your car is still under warranty than you have to follow the oil life sensor or owners manual. But if it's not under warranty, your covered for 15,000 miles or 1 year. Does this even make sense? Also it says if your operating under sever conditions to change your oil as stated in the owners manual. I think it's so they can weasil out of paying up, by saying your car was used under severe conditions so your SOL. Here's the warranty info for Mobil 1 Extended Performance.

This is a limited warranty covering the Mobil 1 Extended Performance lubricant you purchased. ExxonMobil warrants its lubricants to be free from defects and will replace any Mobil lubricant that is defective. For vehicles covered by a warranty, follow the vehicle's oil life sensor or the oil change interval recommended in your owner's manual. Follow your owner's manual if the vehicle is operated in any of the following severe services: racing or commercial applications including taxis, limousines, etc.; frequent towing or hauling; extremely dusty or dirty conditions; or under excessive idling conditions. If your vehicle has exceeded the duration of the manufacturer’s warranty, ExxonMobil warrants that the Mobil 1 Extended Performance lubricant you purchased will protect your vehicle’s critical engine parts from oil related failure for 15,000 miles or 1 year, which ever comes first. If not, provided the engine was serviceable at the time the oil was installed, Exxon Mobil will have your vehicle repaired and replace the oil at no cost to you.

popimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:16 PM   #15
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
Quote:
Originally Posted by popimp View Post
The K & N Air filters allow more air to enter and filters less than a paper air filter. So if air flow goes up so does air contaminents. In this situation you would need better filtration to compensate for more air. Since the K & N air filter does not offer this than your engine will suffer with particles. Even though it's at the micron level, it's still not good. Hope I cleared it up.
so what you really mean is
Quote:
less filtration = shorter engine life.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:23 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
I like that Mobil 1 is finally pushing for extended oil drains using the extended performance oil line. The only thing that I don't like is that if your car is still under warranty than you have to follow the oil life sensor or owners manual. But if it's not under warranty, your covered for 15,000 miles or 1 year. Does this even make sense? Also it says if your operating under sever conditions to change your oil as stated in the owners manual. I think it's so they can weasil out of paying up, by saying your car was used under severe conditions so your SOL. Here's the warranty info for Mobil 1 Extended Performance.

This is a limited warranty covering the Mobil 1 Extended Performance lubricant you purchased. ExxonMobil warrants its lubricants to be free from defects and will replace any Mobil lubricant that is defective. For vehicles covered by a warranty, follow the vehicle's oil life sensor or the oil change interval recommended in your owner's manual. Follow your owner's manual if the vehicle is operated in any of the following severe services: racing or commercial applications including taxis, limousines, etc.; frequent towing or hauling; extremely dusty or dirty conditions; or under excessive idling conditions. If your vehicle has exceeded the duration of the manufacturer?s warranty, ExxonMobil warrants that the Mobil 1 Extended Performance lubricant you purchased will protect your vehicle?s critical engine parts from oil related failure for 15,000 miles or 1 year, which ever comes first. If not, provided the engine was serviceable at the time the oil was installed, Exxon Mobil will have your vehicle repaired and replace the oil at no cost to you.
Its all lawyer speak. I run 0w-20 and 5w-20 at 10k mile changes,,, no problem. Just whiz right thru warranty. I may go to extended. But I just bought 8 quarts of 0w-20 for $5.00 a qt. at Walmart. Get one more quart and that 20k to 24k miles on two oil changes for my new MZ3. I need to get stocked back up on oil. The wifes Accord is due for its oil change and tranny service....
psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:24 PM   #17
Stay true to the Game!

That's exactly what I mean, but I had to throw in the more air thing because that's what K & N is intended for, so I think if they didn't allow more air to enter it would filter the same as a paper filter. Who knows.

Old 07-31-2007, 05:32 PM   #18
Stay true to the Game!

psyshack:

The only thing I don't like about the regular Mobil1 0W-20 is that it doesn't meet ACEA standards according to the website, but on the bottle it might so correct me if I'm wrong. The 0W-30 5W-30, and 5W-20, meet ACEA 1 standards. The 10W-30 meets ACEA 1/5. I'm almost positive that the 5W-30meets ACEA 5 standards.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:24 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
I think both would contribute to a very small increase if any. The only problem I have with K & N air filters, is that their filtration is worse than a regular paper air filter. So more air + less filtration = shorter engine life.
That would only be for those that cleaned them! I have a cheap knockoff, and it has like ~75,000 miles on it. Iv cleaned it once. So really its just like anything, theres always a trade off. I told my brother that my filter does very little for my FE, he didnt get it either. Then I told him it doesn't really matter much at 1700 rpms...
Old 07-31-2007, 06:38 PM   #20
Stay true to the Game!

There is a trade off. To each his own I guess.