Kill switch - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2006, 02:26 PM   #1
Registered Member

Kill switch

Today did engine off coasting and am thinking that's the only way to go. I need to install an engine kill switch. I guess ignition would be the best and easiest to do. So would I just need to get a single pole switch and splice into the power supply to the coil pack? There are three wires coming out of the coil. Red,Black/white and green. Accoroding to the wiring diagram the red and the green go to the PCM and the black/white go to GRN. So would I just need to splice the red wire? Also does anyone know if a kill switch will keep the scangauge alive or is there something else that would need to be done for that?

zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 08:09 AM   #2
*shrug*

Can't you just make a kill switch by adding a switch into the ignition so that it will cut the constant flow of power that makes it think it's in II (run)?

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 10:43 AM   #3
Registered Member

i sure can use a kill switch for my car that means i need to touch wires NOOOO!
Old 05-27-2006, 12:03 PM   #4
Registered Member

I made the kill switch for my car because switching the ignition off via the key - even for just a second - put the ScanGauge to sleep and screwed up my FE feedback.

I borrowed an idea from Dan, and spliced into one of the pickup coil wires on the distributor. Not sure what to do on distributor-less cars however.

Someone on the TeamSwift site asked me how to do this, not for the ScanGauge, but because he was a little wary of using the key while driving (concerned about turning the key back too far and accidentally locking the steering).

What's your motivation for the switch, zpiloto?
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 01:52 PM   #5
Registered Member

Yesterday I had a bunch of driving, 100 miles, (60 which was highway) and decided to try some engine off coasting. Was able to boost the trip milage by 4.0 MPG with 8 mile of engine off. With the aero mods the coasting is really good and I had several places where the coast was better than .5 miles.

But as you know the scangauge dies and you have to mess with the key. I was thinking that if I went into the coil pack power supply(sounds like the same thing you did) I could kill the engine with out losing the scangauge data. So I'll try a tank with the coasting and if the transmission doesn't complain my plan is a kill switch and push button starter using SVOboy DIY.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:54 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
Can't you just make a kill switch by adding a switch into the ignition so that it will cut the constant flow of power that makes it think it's in II (run)?
I thought that's what I would be doing with ignition cut out. But I'm mechcanicaly challanged. I have to study it carefully.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:23 PM   #7
Registered Member

I think the ScanGauge needs to see "II (run)" to stay active. Sounds like you need to interrupt the spark, like I did.

Once you have steady feedback from the SG and you see what engine-off coasting does to your trip average, you'll be hooked
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 03:50 PM   #8
Registered Member

I'm already hooked. Just need to figure out how to make it work.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:52 AM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
how about installing a cut off switch on the fuel injecters? so insted of killing the spark and still having fuel dumped in for a few rotations, it just stops injecting fuel, each injector has I think two wires, either one should kill it, you would need a normaly closed, 4 pole butten switch.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 12:13 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland
how about installing a cut off switch on the fuel injecters? so insted of killing the spark and still having fuel dumped in for a few rotations, it just stops injecting fuel, each injector has I think two wires, either one should kill it, you would need a normaly closed, 4 pole butten switch.
I'll look into that. When you turn the key off does it kill the fuel or ignition or both?