Kiwi MPG review - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2009, 08:42 AM   #1
Registered Member

Kiwi MPG review

Kiwi just released a cheaper, smaller car computer called the Kiwi MPG and I just ordered one. It's $86.99 on ebay with free shipping and a 30 day return policy. I owned a ScanGage II for a couple weeks so I will be very interested to compare them. I'll post about it when I have had a chance to give it a go.

Only displays one value at a time, but the numbers are larger than a ScanGuage. The unit's also quite small at 2.5"x1"x.5". I found a review, but it seemed perhaps a little overly positive. Since the name of the review site and the ebay seller are identical...hmm. Not conclusive I suppose.

Instantaneous MPG (MPG, Km/L, L-100Km)
Trip Average MPG (MPG, Km/L, L-100Km)
Trip Dollars Consumed (All worldwide currencies supported)
Fuel Used (Gallons, Liters)
Fuel Remaining (Gallons, Liters)
Distance to Empty (Gallons, Liters)
Engine RPM
Vehicle Speed (MPH, KMH)
Coolant Temp (Fahrenheit, Celsius)
Throttle Position

It also reads and clears error codes.

No IAT, which is a bit of a bummer.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:06 AM   #2
Registered Member

This is an interesting lower cost alternative to the scanguage or the more expensive kiwi model. I am interested in your review.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:25 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
That's a sweet unit! I only want an MPG gauge for my Durango and don't need all of the other extra stuff as I actually have a tach and all of that. I might actually get one of these!
Old 04-08-2009, 09:30 AM   #4
Registered Member

That particular place I bought it from can't get any more until the 10th. They emailed right away offering me a full refund if it was a problem, which is nice. I told them not to sweat the extra two days.

Its small size really gives some interesting mounting possibilities. I hope to find a way to put it where I can see it without taking my eyes off the road. Running the line to the OBDII will be the tough part I guess. Have to see.

I imagine that unless it really is terrible that this unit will take a lot of the steam out of the homebrew mpg computer projects.

co de pen den cy

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
Old 04-08-2009, 10:18 AM   #5
Registered Member

it still has to have obd2 which means homebrew for anything before that.

I didn't really realize the size. that's a business card...well a stack of business cards.

that may be an option for my wife's element.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:25 AM   #6
Registered Member

I had some 1/2" foam lying around and cut a piece to scale. It's pretty easy to find good spots for it. The ScanGauge II fitted nicely into the standard insert beneath my radio, but that was just dumb luck.

co de pen den cy

Old 04-08-2009, 10:34 AM   #7
Registered Member

I just checked and the release date has been slipping on Amazon. Must be having supply issues since it was just introduced.

co de pen den cy

Old 05-06-2009, 08:32 AM   #8
Registered Member

Just received an email shipment notification for my Kiwi MPG. About a month later than expected as they're having supply issues. Should be here in about a week.

The good news is that you can now get them for slightly less: $85.50 including shipping. The bad news is that Amazon's estimated product release date is now May 27th. Looks like I was fortunate to even get one in the first batch. I looked around but can't find any newer reviews of it.

co de pen den cy

Old 05-13-2009, 03:13 PM   #9
Registered Member

My kiwi arrived today, and it's defective. The strain relief where it attaches to the display is clearly damaged and individual color coded wires are visible and visibly creased. Didn't plug it in or anything. I'll scan in the instructions and post them since there is no copyright anywhere on them.

A month late and it arrives damaged. Beginning to have trouble keeping an open mind.

This is as close as I could really get with my camera even in macro mode before the focus started to have a little trouble. Bet there's a way to do better if I play with it more. You can just make out the color of the wires on the right and that there's a gap. It's also bent back a little. Too bad they went with a right cable approach as my ODBII port is on the left. Come to think of it so are all the ones I've ever seen. Is that generally true? Those marks on the display are on the plastic protective sheet, which I didn't remove since I saw it was damaged.

There's a small power switch on the right. Hey, wait a minute! Why is this closer shot so clear? I need to practice a bit, obviously.

co de pen den cy

Old 05-13-2009, 03:44 PM   #10
Registered Member

After I double checked I saw that there is a tiny copyright symbol on the instructions. I scanned them anyway so I can read them over after I return the unit. I want to exchange, but who knows how long that might take.

co de pen den cy