"leaning" with EGR or air? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-05-2008, 06:01 AM   #11
Registered Member

usedgeo- I think your car may have died because it went too rich. By feeding exhaust in through the air cleaner, the computer thought that it was air and mixed in the appropriate amount of fuel.

It seems easy for a car with a MAF sensor to use EGR and adjust fule injected- just insert the EGR downstream from the MAF.

How do Fuel injected cars that use speed/density calculations compensate for EGR? Is that what the EGR valve position sensor is for?

One more unrelated thought- how about applying vacuum to the altitude (barometric) sensor to trick teh ECU into going lean? Or using a resistor/modifying the output voltage of this sensor?

I hooked up a vacuum gauge to my EGR valve vacuum hose and put it on the dash. the vacuum readings indicate that it would be perfect for a lean burn type system. Vacuum was highest at cruise, zero at idle and would decrease as you gave it more than 40% throttle, going to zero when you had it floored.

I was thinking that I could rig the EGR vacuum line to either let in air or more EGR. Possibly the EGR vacuum could open a sizable EGR "leak" to manifold vacuum.

GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:07 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
usedgeo- I think your car may have died because it went too rich. By feeding exhaust in through the air cleaner, the computer thought that it was air and mixed in the appropriate amount of fuel.

It seems easy for a car with a MAF sensor to use EGR and adjust fule injected- just insert the EGR downstream from the MAF.
The EGR is not feed into the intake before the Air flow sensor, its feed directly into the air intake manifold, this means air space in the cylinder is taken up with less air so the MAF detects the drop in air flow passing through it.

Old 07-05-2008, 04:22 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowWorks View Post
The EGR is not feed into the intake before the Air flow sensor, its feed directly into the air intake manifold, this means air space in the cylinder is taken up with less air so the MAF detects the drop in air flow passing through it.
Yes- I know this, I was just speculating as to why his Saturn died when he gave it a shot of exhaust gas into the air cleaner.
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:33 PM   #14
Registered Member

Lack of oxygen.

regards
gary
Old 07-06-2008, 12:12 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.D.E. View Post
Lack of oxygen.

regards