list of gas saving tips from best to worst - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2007, 01:39 PM   #31
Registered Member

How about opting to work night shift? The traffic is less busy at night. The temperature will be lower at night too.

swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:10 PM   #32
Registered Member

Change of Habit: Idle as Least as Possible

1. Find the First Available Parking Spot. Parking 50 yards closer by circling the lot numerous times really doesnt make sense. We can all use the exercise!

2. I park my car on the street when I get home. I coast with my engine off with perfect timing up until it's final parking location. No more driveway parking since I would have to keep my engine on to turn into the driveway and park the car with greater precision.

3. No More Fast Food Drive Thrus.

4. I drive the car immediately upon turning on the car. I no longer warm up the car. I no longer cool the car with the aircondition or adjust windows during idle. I make sure my seatbelt is fastened before turning on the car. I make sure my portable GPS and Scan Gauge are connected before turning on the car. I make sure my sunglasses are on before turning on the car.

All these things are a little anal but this is the only message board that would understand where im coming from!

GasSavers_fuelmiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 10:27 AM   #33
Registered Member

Keep your car's paint polished and waxed. A slippery surface will increase aerodynamic efficency.
KARR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 01:19 PM   #34
Registered Member

coasting in neutral

I was wondering what people think about coasting in neutral.
Generally, I accelerate upto the speed limit, then put the transmisiion in neutral. I do this in neighborhood driving. With tires inflated to maximum recommended, this allows me to coast for quite a distance before the vehicle slows down enough causing me to put it back in drive. This works well if I am nearing a stop sign. My question is. Could this be harmfull for the vehicles transmission? The tranny seems to shift smoothly from driving to coasting and back.
I have not done this enough to record any possible fuel savings. Mainly due to fears I may be hurting the tranny.
lrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 11:21 AM   #35
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swng View Post
How about opting to work night shift? The traffic is less busy at night. The temperature will be lower at night too.
I work the night shift. There is less traffic. The temperature is lower.

It is absolutely not worth it.

"If you want to save gas I suggest you permanently remove the drivers seat and steering wheel. That seems to help." -Oscar Halverson

oneinchsidehop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:03 AM   #36
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneinchsidehop View Post
I work the night shift. There is less traffic. The temperature is lower.

It is absolutely not worth it.
Whether it is worth it depends on one's personal preference. I, for instance, like working nights because I HATE alarm clocks.
StorminMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 09:46 AM   #37
Registered Member

anyone have any knowledge/experience of Ethos FR? see http://www.4planetearth.net
GasSavers_stevenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 02:25 PM   #38
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenl View Post
anyone have any knowledge/experience of Ethos FR? see http://www.4planetearth.net
go to the "search the forums" section and enter it as the key word. there are several discussions on this product.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:33 AM   #39
Registered Member

Tire pressure: safety and wear.

http://www.officer.com/article/artic...on=19&id=27281

This answers many of the questions on those concerns.

I'm running 50 psi air my 44 psi tires in a 1989 car with 32 psi door stickers. ymmv.

Now driving '97 Civic HX; tires ~ 50 psi. '89 Volvo 240 = semi-retired.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:52 AM   #40
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrichard View Post
I was wondering what people think about coasting in neutral.
Generally, I accelerate upto the speed limit, then put the transmisiion in neutral. I do this in neighborhood driving. With tires inflated to maximum recommended, this allows me to coast for quite a distance before the vehicle slows down enough causing me to put it back in drive. This works well if I am nearing a stop sign. My question is. Could this be harmfull for the vehicles transmission? The tranny seems to shift smoothly from driving to coasting and back.
I have not done this enough to record any possible fuel savings. Mainly due to fears I may be hurting the tranny.
You will get better fuel economy with your foot off the gas and coasting, the engine goes into a lean burn type mode.

When the engine is idling you are using more fuel.