Locking hand throttle... - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2007, 05:39 PM   #11
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
Ya, in a panic situation instinct says boot the clutch, stomp on the brakes, and ask questions later. So I am wondering if the CRX has a rev limiter...
I'm pretty sure it does.

I seem to remember reading in one of the 3rd party repair manuals for the thing, that the ECU will not only cut fuel at "fast enough" (around 1250 in practice) revs + zero throttle, it will also cut fuel at 8000+ revs (right around the tack's start of "red line") no matter what the throttle position is. Now the low end "fuel cut" is obviously a way to save gas when you don't need the power (i.e. "coast in gear"). But the latter setting (the 8000+ fuel cut) is clearly an engine saving "rev limiter"!

NOTE: I routinely use the low end "fuel cut" as a way to save gas (and it clearly works). And while in normal driving I would never get even close to the 8000 RPM "safe" maximum, I do seem to recall actually testing it (just to make sure that the car really did limit RPMs, instead of letting you drive under "red line") and sure enough 8000 RPMs (no matter what the speed or gear) did seem to be the limit for that car!

So yes, if (in a "panic") I were to hit the clutch and the brake, there shouldn't be any risk of blowing my engine (nor would there be any danger from the hand throttle in that case, as the clutch would disengage the engine from the wheels). It might sound bad (high rev), but (do to the ECU's 8000 RPM limit) "all should be well", even if that would otherwise result in too much throttle (for not being "in gear")...

DracoFelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 07:44 PM   #12
Registered Member

I wouldn't worry...

Not sure about you guys...but when I am in a manual shift car, and I get into a panic stop situation, I press both the brakes AND the clutch outta habit...so his mod will just possibly (but not likely) cause an overrev situation when stopped...

Just my $0.02

McIntyre's First Law: "Under the right circumstances, anything I tell you may be wrong."

O'Brien's First Corollary to McIntyre's First Law: "I don't know what the right circumstances are, either."

rvanengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:21 AM   #13
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvanengen View Post
Not sure about you guys...but when I am in a manual shift car, and I get into a panic stop situation, I press both the brakes AND the clutch outta habit...so his mod will just possibly (but not likely) cause an overrev situation when stopped...
My thoughts exactly!

That fact alone, should make this device "safe enough" on my car! And if I should somehow forget to press in the clutch in a panic (not likely, but possible), the likely effect of "slamming on my brakes" in gear is to kill the engine. And if/when that happens, throttle position also doesn't affect braking speed (because the engine is OFF in that case). So either way ("in gear" or "clutch in") this device should disengage from the wheels in an emergency (even if I forget to manually turn off the extra throttle)!

BTW:
And on my car, the ECU is designed to cut the fuel when the RPMs get too high. So essentially I have a built-in "rev limiter" that should (in theory) prevent any "over rev" from harming my engine! So even if this happens, I shouldn't damage my engine as a result. Safety check (throttle disengaged from wheels), car OK check (rev limiter preventing dangerous over rev). Looks like I'm covered...

DracoFelis is offline   Reply With Quote