LOL I finally broke into the 500miles with my civic vx - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2011, 12:23 PM   #11
Registered Member

Re: LOL I finally broke into the 500miles with my civic vx

Nice work!
When I started on this site I was seeing 400 mile tanks (without topping off, I only ever go to the first click). Now I regularly get 600 miles per tank still without topping off. I think the best was more like 630 miles. It is possible if you are willing to work hard at it. If I topped off I could probably get to 700 miles.
Trouble for me is, I don't want to go that long! I want to know at least every 10 days or so what my actual FE is. I used to fill every 5 days, now it's usually 7-12 days before a fill up.
I'm still waiting for my 90 day average to get closer to what I'm getting now for FE. I was in the 40's at the beginning of winter. Look at my fuel log.
B

benfrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 03:53 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benfrogg View Post
Nice work!
When I started on this site I was seeing 400 mile tanks (without topping off, I only ever go to the first click). Now I regularly get 600 miles per tank still without topping off. I think the best was more like 630 miles. It is possible if you are willing to work hard at it. If I topped off I could probably get to 700 miles.
Trouble for me is, I don't want to go that long! I want to know at least every 10 days or so what my actual FE is. I used to fill every 5 days, now it's usually 7-12 days before a fill up.
I'm still waiting for my 90 day average to get closer to what I'm getting now for FE. I was in the 40's at the beginning of winter. Look at my fuel log.
B
600...wow. Yea 500 is a milestone for me LOL. I can get high 300 and low 400 with the first click but I'm sure I can't hit the 500. Atleast not with the 185/70/13 but I haven't try it with the LRR Sumitomo. Well good to hear that you're getting good number from your vx.

GasSavers_viperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:53 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post
You VX owners need to try for a metric kilotank next. If I can do it in my boxy Scion xB, surely you can match me with your fuel sippers . 621.6 miles on 10.563 gals = 58.84 mpg.
My best in the VX was something like 680 miles on 8.7 gallons, which was good for 77 mpg. Lots of drafting and steady-speed driving. The tanks before and after were both over 60, so I don't think it was a fill up error, either.

Edit: 680.4 miles. Just found it.
IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:12 PM   #14
Registered Member

I want to just drive for a long highway run, I know this VX can rack up 50+ MPG easily on the highway. I can't seem to get a combined MPG of 50+ yet, though. Still relatively new to a manual, and I have a tendency to lug on the throttle/have to come nearly all the way off of the clutch b4 it feels 'safe' when driving from a stop(especially on an incline or with AC on). I try to always be in 5th under 'normal' acceleration by 40 MPG, and I'll get 60+MPG at 55-65 MPH range on the freeway.

Maybe my clutch is worn? It has no resistance when depressing the clutch pedal. Syncros are gone by now, but shifting improves in spring/autumn. May go over to Amsoil's Syncromesh MTF.

Also, I get a real low idle sometimes before it ticks up 200-300 RPM. The battery died, headlights left on for 2 hours or so, but I can't recall if we ever put it on a manual slow charge after getting jumped off. We've driven a few thousand miles since then.

In another thread about the VX FYI thread(I think?) someone mentioned something in relation to the electrical grounds, "injector battery correction"?

I added an engine ground to the valve cover to engine(4 gauge stereo amp ground wire), cleaned up the original engine ground and the transmission ground as well.

Any tips guys? How is the VX clutch supposed to function? I feel like I have to drive it from a stop in a way that may 'burn it out', but perhaps it already is somewhat?

PS: On Amsoil SSO right now. Very smooth engine operation.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:27 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by add|ct View Post
I want to just drive for a long highway run, I know this VX can rack up 50+ MPG easily on the highway. I can't seem to get a combined MPG of 50+ yet, though. Still relatively new to a manual, and I have a tendency to lug on the throttle/have to come nearly all the way off of the clutch b4 it feels 'safe' when driving from a stop(especially on an incline or with AC on). I try to always be in 5th under 'normal' acceleration by 40 MPG, and I'll get 60+MPG at 55-65 MPH range on the freeway.

Maybe my clutch is worn? It has no resistance when depressing the clutch pedal. Syncros are gone by now, but shifting improves in spring/autumn. May go over to Amsoil's Syncromesh MTF.

Also, I get a real low idle sometimes before it ticks up 200-300 RPM. The battery died, headlights left on for 2 hours or so, but I can't recall if we ever put it on a manual slow charge after getting jumped off. We've driven a few thousand miles since then.

In another thread about the VX FYI thread(I think?) someone mentioned something in relation to the electrical grounds, "injector battery correction"?

I added an engine ground to the valve cover to engine(4 gauge stereo amp ground wire), cleaned up the original engine ground and the transmission ground as well.

Any tips guys? How is the VX clutch supposed to function? I feel like I have to drive it from a stop in a way that may 'burn it out', but perhaps it already is somewhat?

PS: On Amsoil SSO right now. Very smooth engine operation.
The vx clutch function like all other normal honda does. Yea if you're putting out more gas than you need and you you're releasing the clutch a little fast than it's going to wear out the clutch faster. But for beginner there's not much you can do because i'm sure that the only way to learn how to drive it LOL. When you're more familar with driving a manuel, perfect gas and clutch engagement will help alot on the clutch.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:32 AM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fetch View Post
My best in the VX was something like 680 miles on 8.7 gallons, which was good for 77 mpg. Lots of drafting and steady-speed driving. The tanks before and after were both over 60, so I don't think it was a fill up error, either.

Edit: 680.4 miles. Just found it.
Drafting is a plus for good gas milage but i'm too afraid I might get a new windshield LOL.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:56 AM   #17
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperguy View Post
Drafting is a plus for good gas milage but i'm too afraid I might get a new windshield LOL.
It's not necessary to draft THAT close. You can still catch rocks at a safe, legal, and effective 2-3 second following distance but it's less likely. See the Drafting link in my sig for a good discussion on why you can draft so far behind.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:37 AM   #18
Registered Member

no guarantees tho...

several months ago, i was driving my work(delivery) truck when the driver in front of me left the pavement and swerved right back on. my distance was already ~4 sec(our minimal mandate in ideal weather conditions), but i slowed to increase that as he left the road. well, rocks and debris came flying my direction, such that one rock in particular bounced, hit my windshield, and cracked it.

if i'd been traveling closer, it would have hit my grill instead. bummer too, 'cause since replacing the windshield, my company has not yet replaced the tint strip across the top of the glass!
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:28 AM   #19

Great to see Benfrogg and Fetch driving their VXes to max capability. My xB is geared too low for drafting, since anyone I'd draft is usually traveling too fast for me.
FrugalFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:58 AM   #20
Registered Member

SentraSE-R-
I don't draft either. Same reason. I'm never traveling fast enough to do it. On the rare occasion someone is traveling slow enough, I lose them on the next uphill when I drop 5-10mph while DWL.
I'm pretty happy; looking forward to summer temps/summer fuel. At 50df the car does much better. It's almost like I unloaded the drums I normally travel with and drove without them (#200 less load).
Good luck on getting to 600!
B

benfrogg is offline   Reply With Quote