Lowering For FE - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-08-2010, 05:56 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Roadking41a
Lowering For FE

I di my usual reading and searching. But I wanted to know if Lowering a pick up helps FE? I have a 1988 Ford F150 with 3/4 rear springs. Seems to me if I lower the center of gravity will help air flow since it's like a brick?

Roadking41a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:06 PM   #2
Registered Member

Re: Lowering For FE

Center of gravity and airflow are completely unrelated.

Lowering is a proven way to reduce aero drag. That it is better than a tonneau or cap I can't say, but I'd doubt it.

F150:
New EPA12/14/17

theclencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:17 AM   #3
Registered Member

It can, but depends on far you are going to lower it. To reduce frontal area and airflow under the truck to reduce drag enough to make an impact might mean lowering it farther than you want.

An air dam extending from the bottom of the bumper to close to the pavement will give you most of the benefit for a fraction of the work and cost.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:39 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

It should work but I can't say I've specifically seen proof...though I've never looked for it either. The nice thing about pickups is they're easy to lower for cheap or free.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:17 AM   #5

i too have looked into lowering for fe and it does seems it works abit but its way down on my list of things to do. There are far more cheaper and btter fe gains to be had especially with a truck. especially with an 88 truck. Id start with a grill block and give the engine a once over. A electric fan in place of that mech monster is easy and well worth it. A hai is very easy to do on those as well. Im assuming its a 5.0 motor so there are tins of little things you can do to it thatll help. Id consider aero mods to be fairly low down on the list. They help but i think its better to work with the other parts first since the gains tend to be bigger.
Are you 4wd as well? What are you currently getting for mpg?
kit352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:30 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kit352 View Post
There are far more cheaper
Depends on the truck. There may be a variety of lowering options that are free, such as de-cranking torsion bar front suspension and removing blocks, flipping hangers, or removing a leaf from the rear. (There's other free or near-free options but those popped into my head.)
Old 12-09-2010, 04:00 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kit352 View Post
i too have looked into lowering for fe and it does seems it works abit but its way down on my list of things to do. There are far more cheaper and btter fe gains to be had especially with a truck. especially with an 88 truck. Id start with a grill block and give the engine a once over. A electric fan in place of that mech monster is easy and well worth it. A hai is very easy to do on those as well. Im assuming its a 5.0 motor so there are tins of little things you can do to it thatll help. Id consider aero mods to be fairly low down on the list. They help but i think its better to work with the other parts first since the gains tend to be bigger.
Are you 4wd as well? What are you currently getting for mpg?
Well it's a 2wd and a 300 I6 EFI along with a T18 4 speed. I am thinking about switching over to a AOD trans or if I can find one a ZF 5 speed.

My truck now.

And how low I want to go.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:02 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Depends on the truck. There may be a variety of lowering options that are free, such as de-cranking torsion bar front suspension and removing blocks, flipping hangers, or removing a leaf from the rear. (There's other free or near-free options but those popped into my head.)
There are a lot of ways to lower it. Mine has TIB suspension. So I plan to use 92-96 Ford Ranger front coil springs then take it to a alignment shop. The rear I will be removing the 3/4 ton leaf springs and putting in 1/2 ton springs along with a homemade flip kit.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:05 PM   #9
Registered Member

I forgot the rear gear set up is 3.08 ratio in a 8.8 truck rear so it will also be easy to change from drum brakes(rear) to 4 wheel disc brakes.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:59 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking41a View Post
homemade flip kit.
Axle flip or hanger flip?