Luggin' - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-06-2007, 04:23 AM   #1
Registered Member

Luggin'

We all know that lugging is bad for your vehicle. What I don't know is how exactly it damages a vehicle and why. Can someone explain it to me? Thanks.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:54 AM   #2
*shrug*

I think it is because the engine is not getting enough lubrication, though I'm not sure...it's one of the things I've never paid attention to,

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:14 AM   #3
Registered Member

Yeah, that's the only thing I can think of. Can anyone else confirm or add to this?
Old 06-07-2007, 09:24 AM   #4
Registered Member

I don't think it has anything to do with lubrication, although lubrication may be more suspect at the lower rpm's where lugging occur's.

Lugging occurs because the rpm of the motor and the amount of energy each piston is able to contribute in a cycle varies, as the motor is turning. Consequently at lower speeds, with more load, the piston and crank push down harder right after the fuel is ignited, then as the piston loses energy, the load is pushing back and it gets into a mechanical loading, oscillation cycle, which places all sorts of loads on the engine parts.

Since this is happening in a car with 4 cylinders, or more, it is really happening in 4 places in the engine, which goes into a hinky jinky oscilation, including the transmission, halfshafts, wheels and so forth. This oscillation puts stress and load on all of the drivetrain, which are jerky and in excess of normal.

It is sort of a self induced equivalent of revving the engine really high, then popping the clutch out, only it occurs multiple times per second, when the whole drivetrain gets into it's dance. The only way to stop it is to either back off on the throttle, or disengage.

On my Honda as long as I only use a light throttle I can run it at a lower rpm, but if I open the throttle up, it overloads the system and it does the hokey-pokey. Hokey-pokey is hard on all of the drivetrain and if you don't like replacing engine and drive train parts, it isn't a good idea
Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:03 AM   #5
Registered Member

Here's some more info.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:50 AM   #6

Lugging = too much torque at low RPMs.

It's why it is not recommended to spray nitrous below, say 3500 RPM.
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 04:14 PM   #7
Registered Member

Some engines are better able to cope with the effect. Heavier flywheels, thicker castings, special oils, just general 'beef' mitigates the pounding into a banging that can be tolerated for hundreds of thousands of miles.
Not that I operate that way exclusively, but probably more frequently than most might consider prudent.
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:47 PM   #8
Registered Member

the gas and o2 burn at a certain speed, if the piston is allowed to move too slowly, the pressure in the cylinder is greater. I have a Honda, they are notorious for not having any bottom end. So I don't like going below 1500 in 4th, and about 1750 in 5th.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:53 PM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to baddog671
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaX View Post
Lugging = too much torque at low RPMs.

It's why it is not recommended to spray nitrous below, say 3500 RPM.
No worries for me, my engine doesnt have any torque
Old 06-08-2007, 12:01 AM   #10
Registered Member

When I drive through my neighborhood with a manual transmission, I use 5th gear. The power the engine at idle is enough to maintain constant speed at ~25 MPH. Scanguage will show around 80 mpg! Note to keep idiots from hurting them selves: obviously you can't use more than ~5% throttle, or it will lug.

Scanguage even shows decreased FE when lugging. Gear selection depends on the throttle position.

Cars aren't lugging at an idle at 700 RPM with the throttle closed.