Mazda's new fuel efficient engine.. - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2017, 07:42 AM   #21
Registered Member

SteveMak- if you put 4% more of almost any gas in air you will die.

landsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:26 AM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by landsail View Post
SteveMak- if you put 4% more of almost any gas in air you will die.
Is that a fact, or just a come-back? It sounds rather rhetorical to my mind.

Aside from that, your assertion seems to minimize or dismiss my statements that CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) is not a "harmless" gas, as some people argue.

2015 Audi Q5 "Progressiv" + S-Line + Scuba Blue, 3.0L V6 TDI
(Highest fuel economy for all Audi Q5s on Fuelly!)

SteveMak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:05 PM   #23
Registered Member

The dinosaurs enjoyed air with 35% oxygen compared to our now 20%. Fossil fuels are a temporary transitional period before we go full solar in a few generations. In the whole era of petroleum distillates we have consumed a cube of 13 miles each side of petroleum, enough to cover the earth .25 inch deep.

Remember greenhouse earth, remember the coral reefs dying from colder atmospheric temperatures.

Remember "the sky is falling".

Of course we are at the threshold and we got there with a finite amount of petroleum, maybe used half of what is available, so we got to 780 ppm on the second half? After that the level stabilizes over time to some pre-industrial age level?

In the meantime we are constantly improving our production, use, and conversion capabilities as well as the efficiency of our basic transportation.

Too many agenda driven predictions of catastrophe, you still hear the claims that any unusual weather event is due to "climate change".

Then you have the issue of the scientific method, which demands overwhelming evidence of a "hypothesis". If climate change is true, no longer "snowball earth" from 30 years ago, but now sea level rise at rapid rates. Why aren't coastal property values collapsing. Why would the gov't get stupid enough to get involved in flood insurance?

Investors, people who depend on future demand, should be dumping their coastal property like desperate people do when the value has collapsed in any market.

My brother told me 40 years ago, concerning where we live and it's potential for nuclear targeting, "When they evacuate Moscow, get the hell out."

Another global whack job with nukes? Nothing new there except to those who are too young or stupid to remember.

Solution, kill all the missiles launched, with more missiles. We can do that, they can't. We were there in 1945, the world survived. The world will survive us as it did the dinosaurs. maybe the oxygen content will rise again
Old 09-04-2017, 12:10 PM   #24
Registered Member

We'll be sucking the solar energy out of the atmosphere, cooling the planet and griping about the sea level dropping.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:07 PM   #25
Registered Member

The snow ball earth and ice age alarms came from mainstream news sources citing the least likely outcomes of global warming from that time. Most of the ice ages in the past were triggered by a large drop in CO2. The majority of research from back when the ice age threat was in the papers was saying the increasing temperatures with resulting ice melt.

The first concerns voiced about CO2 emissions and the resultant trapping of heat from it appeared in 1880's newspapers. What the climate science field is saying now is after decades of research.

It is going to take a very long time for CO2 levels to drop to pre industrial age levels without human intervention. We'll be lucky if the current levels and release doesn't lead to positive feedback loops in melting permafrost and methane hydrates.

The real concern isn't in the actual CO2 levels, but rate that they are increasing. The only time it has happened in the earth's past triggered the largest extinction event of life. It is known as the Great Dying, and it cleared the planet for dinosaurs, but it took a long time for the biosphere to recover before they rose.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:31 PM   #26
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.D.E. View Post
Threadjack anyone?
It doesn't matter what the OP is about. It could be about Jennifer Lopez's rear end. They will still turn it into an air pollution discussion. They just can't help themselves.

All we need to do is to invent Co2 combustion that results in Oxygen.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:03 PM   #27
Registered Member

Who was it that said:

"If only trees gave us free WiFi, we'd be planting them everywhere. What a shame they only give us oxygen "

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:42 AM   #28
LDB
Registered Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KhzMGbQXmY

Video about the new engine.

LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:39 PM   #29
Registered Member

Good grief, why does this stuff have to evolve (read: devolve) into some global warming/CO2 argument?

Anyway, given Mazda's penchant for teasing some good stuff but not delivering (diesels), I won't put much stock in it until they hit dealer lots.

And even then I'm sure they'll have all the extra crap, power windows, etc. Not sure I'm even holding my breath for a manual trans...though Mazda's friendly to stick, so it also wouldn't surprise me.

What I can more positively say is that the ICE isn't done yet...
Old 09-11-2017, 05:43 PM   #30
Registered Member

Mazda delivered the SkyActiv diesel; just not to the US. They wanted to meet emissions without the use of DEF. The engine meets at lest Euro5 and Japan regs without the fluid. Mazda kept trying and trying, but could never meet US regs while maintaining performance and efficiency.

Then VW got caught cheating with their diesels here.

Mazda might retry the diesel for the US with SCR and DEF now.

This is also the story of why the US didn't get a diesel Accord.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote