Meeting with Congressman Rob Whitman-hydraulic hybrids - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2008, 05:44 PM   #1
Registered Member

Meeting with Congressman Rob Whitman-hydraulic hybrids

Met with him yesterday, took my father along. Nothing like the credibility of an 87 year old decorated B17 pilot from WW2.

He was running late but still had time to spend 1/2 hour with us.

Very distinguished looking gentleman, very good listener. He even knew about Carnot's Law and the beauty of a single conversion of energy into an accumulator with peak efficiency of 99% (doesnt get any better than that).

I asked him to support the efforts of Va. Tech in their research and prototyping of my in-wheel Infinitely Variable Transmission-regenerative braking-direct drive.

Pop told me when we left that my presentation was flawless, "You hit a home run there son" were his exact words.

I emphasized the fact that the EPA predictions were for a class 2 truck with mileage improvements from 10 to 66 MPG city and 18 to 50 Highway, and told him I thought my design was the key component to achieving those mileage figures.

He told me he believed every word I said was truthful. he also told me there was a 25 Billion appropriation already passed to provide funding for research and he would do his best to see a portion of those monies were provided to Tech. he also told me he personally knew the Professor who was instrumental in arranging the class project.

Its hard to read a politician sometimes, but my impression was he was sincere. I offered to provide myself for any further questions or discussions in the future without any necessity for compensation, stating that if my design was that significant it would provide compensation for my efforts.

We talked briefly about the Big 3, I tried to be very considerate of his time and to stay on the subject that was relevant to our meeting. He kept several documents consisting of over 40 pages of information for copying, and promised to make it available for pickup at his office when that was done.

He asked me how the patents were progressing and I told him it was very difficult, but I thought it would be OK. If I had any problem I would contact him in the future. I also made my desire to see the US auto manufacturers be in a position to build a $10k simple hybrid vehicle that could be built with a profit margin of $2.5k and reach mileages of 80 plus MPG combined in a 5 passenger vehicle. A Model T of the 21st century.

Give them a fish and they live for a day. Teach them to fish and they live for a lifetime.

He asked me what I thought was possible for such a vehicle? I told him I thought it was entirely possible to exceed 100 MPG overall, and to imagine the effects on the environment, balance of trade, employment, and breaking the OPEC monopoly and forcing them to compete independently for lower worldwide demand for crude oil.

Wish me luck, and maybe a prayer for success.

regards
badger

Old 12-06-2008, 05:58 PM   #2
Registered Member

good post! it's funny how luck often finds the diligent.

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 06:25 PM   #3
Registered Member

Excellent job. More of this is the type of lobbying effort is needed.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:28 PM   #4
Registered Member

Wow....the best of luck with that.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:58 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to jeep45238
Excellent. Shouldn't be that difficult once you've got some funding to get that ball rolling!

jeep45238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 03:39 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
It's good to hear about some progress and maybe some good support for your project. I hope your poject gets the funding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.D.E. View Post
Give them a fish and they live for a day. Teach them to fish and they live for a lifetime.
I like this one better:
Give a man fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Old 12-07-2008, 05:05 AM   #7

Sounds great!

Always better to have a solution than to simply whine.

Best of luck to your obviously hard work.

(Good luck is mostly the residue of proper planning and execution.)
Mayhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 05:18 AM   #8
Registered Member

Sweet!
Old 12-07-2008, 05:39 AM   #9

If this were to succeed we'd be off foreign oil permanently. It's just a matter of time until it becomes a reality. We can all say, "I knew him back when..."

I fervently hope this is the case. To lose dependence on foreign oil, to be able to cut back on the actual amount of oil used worldwide - this would make a significant dent in things.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:18 AM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Am I understanding this correctly? You have developed a variable ratio hydralic drive system with regen that is up to 99% efficient?

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote