Movable rear wheels - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-24-2009, 08:40 AM   #11
Registered Member

While looking into it I discovered that passive rear wheel steering is actually in use by a few manufacturers to compensate for oversteer. Handling and stability motivations so no data on tire wear or efficiency impact that I could find though.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:17 PM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
High speed active rear steering allows the car to better use the available traction from the rear tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilian View Post
While looking into it I discovered that passive rear wheel steering is actually in use by a few manufacturers to compensate for oversteer. Handling and stability motivations so no data on tire wear or efficiency impact that I could find though.
how passive? [enter cressida rant] my old Cressida changed the toe several degrees with suspension articulation. not really passive but resultant. basically as the body rolled (as with hard turns) the rear would steer toward the outside of the turn effectively giving a little oversteer without the loss of traction normally associated with it. the result was pretty nice handling for as soft as the springs were (because the softness of the springs allowed the articulation that improved the handling) the downside however was that if you loaded the tits out of the car (or lowered it), both sides toe'd out and wore the tires really bad, really fast.

mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 05:14 AM   #13
Registered Member

Wikipedia actually has a short summary, which puts together all the stuff I was seeing around. Wish I'd just gone there first. No mention of impact other than handling there either.

Typical methods of achieving compliance understeer are to use a Watt's Link on a live rear axle, or the use of toe control bushings on a twist beam suspension. On an independent rear suspension it is normally achieved by changing the rates of the rubber bushings in the suspension.

co de pen den cy

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
Old 04-25-2009, 09:19 AM   #14
Registered Member

I looked up four wheel steering in The Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics and only handling and stability concerns are mentioned. Since that book is pretty complete, I suspect this means there is negligible impact on wear and fuel economy.

co de pen den cy