MPG vs Performance (Yaris) - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-15-2012, 05:56 PM   #21
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
How's the sound and how much did it set you back? Not that upgrading from a cheap "turbo" muffler would matter for my car with its horrible system forward of the muffler...old-school pellet converter, and a ridiculous junction box with a hairpin turn in it.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:25 AM   #22
Registered Member

It has a deeper tone at idle but it isn't overbearing. it doesn't really get loud until around 3k rpms and even then isn't that loud unless you are at WOT. I like it.

it was $350 shipped which isn't bad as I was increasing the pipe diameter as well. one good think about the yaris is it is a straight shot all the way to the axle. yea, they have to do the bendy thing to get over the rear to exit but that is typical.

it probably isn't economical for you to change your setup. the changes I made had nothing to do with efficiency or economics.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:18 AM   #23
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
The xb has a variable muffler, I think when it heats up from highway driving it makes more noise then once off the highway it cools off and gets quiet again. First time I noticed it I thought I had a pipe leak developing!

So I guess you are not trying for the sleeper appearance with the noisier exhaust system?
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #24
Registered Member

I wonder if the xB has the same stock muffler as the yaris. same drivetrain and all. mine looked like a pumpkin. it really looks like no other muffler I have ever seen. also a reason I wanted to get rid of it. I am tempted to cut it open to see exactly what is inside.

my exhaust is louder but I don't think anyone will be particularly attracted to it. it definitely isn't the fart can style exhaust. I knew guys that had exhausts that at idle were louder than mine at WOT. I think of it as tastefully done. there again, I'm biased.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote