My first mod: grill block - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-04-2009, 09:57 AM   #21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
Yes, I was at Lowe's and saw 2 cracked black trash cans. Got them for $1/ea after taking them to the service desk and explaining what I wanted to do with them.
Yeah, I know ! I read this already weeks ago on this site. That's when I was preparing my mods. Nice stories.
I can get some more black plastic undercover of a car that's going to be thrown away. I will stick with that I think, and maybe even make a sumpcover for my wife's little car.
If somebody's interested: today I filled up my Civic's fuel tank! First time after mounting grill block =>
EXACTELY the same fuelconsumption as the time before (6,07 l/100 km), also boardcomputer showed exactely the same as previous time: 5,6 l/100 km.
After all, I'm not unhappy with this result given the circumstances (compared to my previous fill up 3 weeks ago):
- very stormy wheater
- a lot of rain and water on the roads
- always headlights on (morning and evening) and wipers
- grill block only 1/3 of tank on it
- winterpetrol gives less energy/liter
- 80 km after mounting grill block BC showed -0,1 l/100km for average consumption of this tank
More news next time !

i-DSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:31 AM   #22
Registered Member

if you can keep summer mileage through the winter, you are doing good.

BTW, I really like your car. the back doors look similar to the chevrolet spark that should be coming to the states next model year. I wish honda would bring that style car to the US.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:09 PM   #23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
I can't really argue with doing it for experimentation.

when you do get to the point where you want it permanent, a suggestion would be to get a garbage can (large, round, plastic one) and cut it up so you will have a large flat piece. I think they come in a variety of colors too. I want to say the one that I bought was $15 or so. they are relatively inexpensive. I used it for an airdam that I have since taken off. it was easy to use and maybe something to consider for the future.

jay2therescue actually used a broken trash can for his grill block since it was big enough for his purposes. I think he paid a dollar or two for his since it was broken.
Love it! That's how I got wiring for my stereo. The store had irregular lengths for sale for pennies on the dollar.

It's amazing what you can get if you just ask - and keep your eyes and ears open.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:48 AM   #24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-DSi View Post

- 80 km after mounting grill block BC showed -0,1 l/100km for average consumption of this tank

More news next time !
Keep us posted, your research is very interesting.
rgathright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:46 AM   #25
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright View Post
Keep us posted, your research is very interesting.
You can count on it, I will post my findings for some coming fuel tanks. I'm lucky I don't drive a lot, so 1st complete tank with grill block is still 'going on'.
Situation after approx. 65% of this tank: BC is on 5,6 l/100 km and that is according to me a success as temperatures are low (for Belgium...that means right now just freezing -1 to -5?C).
As Beef already said: I should consider this mod successful if I can keep a steady fuel consumption in winter.
Because of the freezing temps I now have the grill covered for approx. 95%.
I'm monitoring the temps very carefully with a diagnostic tool and in this wheater there's no risk for overheating. The cab heating on its own is taking all the exessive heat of the engine. Radiator temps hardly reach 25?C when freezing and the engine reaching its normal 85?C takes almost the full 30 minutes commute. Oil doesn't reach its normal 85?C. I've noticed the oil has a real cooling function: from the moment on the oil does reach its 85?C the cooling capacity is unsufficient when blocking 90 or 95%. But as said: no risk for this when freezing. With the diagnostic tool in the car I take no risk and can experiment 'unlimited'.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:39 AM   #26
Registered Member

My '04 Dodge Dakota 4.7L V8 used to overheat because of a bad aftermarket thrermostat. I would just crank the heater up and roll the windows down to cool the engine off quickly.

I suggest cracking a window on the passenger side to give the heat a place to go.
rgathright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:54 AM   #27
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Block grille too much and use heater and open window to vent extra heat seems like a pointless procedure, now you're still getting rid of the same heat and you've got the aerodynamic disadvantage of an open window instead of an open grille.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:07 PM   #28
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Block grille too much and use heater and open window to vent extra heat seems like a pointless procedure, now you're still getting rid of the same heat and you've got the aerodynamic disadvantage of an open window instead of an open grille.
I know man,
I will remove (a part off) grill block the moment on my engine can't get rid of its heat on a normal way.
As it is now I never had to open a window and I only had to turn up cab heating one time to cool the engine (with closed windows, it's winter and a few degrees more in the car don't hurt).
Thanks for your care and tips!
Old 12-16-2009, 08:38 PM   #29
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright View Post
My '04 Dodge Dakota 4.7L V8 used to overheat because of a bad aftermarket thrermostat. I would just crank the heater up and roll the windows down to cool the engine off quickly.

I suggest cracking a window on the passenger side to give the heat a place to go.
Brings back memories of a day years ago, in a 1962 Rambler American (basically a 1939 Nash with a more modern body) midsummer, about 105 degrees, on the Ventura Freeway in LA, puttin' along at about 2 MPH (there was a chemical spill, and traffic was backed up for miles and miles) and I sat there, watching the temp gauge creep up and up (belt-driven fan, turning slowly), finally had all the windows down and the heater at full blast...sweat so much I lost about 10 lbs!

Back to subject at hand...I am trying a 1/2 grille block on the Geo...so far haven't noticed much gain (in fact, my MPG has actually dropped, but I think it is because I have been driving faster lately...)

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:05 AM   #30
Registered Member

Unlucky wheater conditions yesterday and today.
Now the freezing temps are no longer alone. Snow accompanied them. And believe me: not a bit!! Exceptional wheater in Europe (Belgium, France, the Netherlands, Germany...). Took me one way 15 minutes longer to go to work + very slippery roads with loads of snow + slipping wheels + windowdefrosting + aerodynamic advantage of grill block doesn't play at these low speeds.
So my fuel consumption increased first time with grill block: BC shows now 5,7 l/100 km (was already a long time 5,6). This is less than 2% increase. Tank isn't emptied yet, but the weather forecast is clear: this weahter continues the coming days. I read on European Civic forums that fuel consumption in winter can increase from 10 to 20%. So my 2% doesn't look bad.
It's a pity I can not compare the car's fuel consumption with last years winter as I drive her only since mid September.