Need advice/info-Metro/HF related - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2006, 11:41 AM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
a 1985 thru 1987 crx hf will not be fuel injected, but insted have a carburator and a silver aluminum air cleaner houseing insted of the black painted steel, the early crx hf's were tecnicaly a Civic CRX (HF, SI, DX or base modle) two door cupe, in 1988 they droped the civic name plate off the car, and off the parts list and manuals.
altho after market sunroofs were installed, they are commenly the glass pop up sunroofs, not the steel ones that slide in the a cavity in the roof, I don't think any crx hf, or civic vx ever came with a rear windshild wiper.
I have a civic vx that is my daily driver that I love, and it's nice if you need a back seat, or to carry any amount of weight or cargo, befor that I drove a '85 crx hf, it was nice, solid, very few problems, but old, and sligtly abusted, it mostly suffers from a bit of rust, and bad rings (abused by past owner), we also just got a 2000 metro hatch back that I just got to drive yesterday, and it's rather comfertable, but I must say that the controles in it are not as well thought out as they are in the honda's, things like wipers switch, and placement of the turn signal switch, and at 250 miles per day, that might drive you crazy.

I'm not sure how many miles you can get on a metro, but all my crx has 185k and my civic has 226k, and if it wasn't for rust (from salt on wisconsin roads) and abusive drivers, the crx should be able to get well over 200K.

GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 04:13 PM   #12
Registered Member

I see we have something in common. We both own VX's and we both owned 85 HF's. I put 275000 miles on my 85HF in 5 years and then traded it in 1990 for a 286 computer and a 26" TV. It was still going strong but did burn some oil.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 05:16 PM   #13
Registered Member

Way cool guys! You know yer stuff!

Krousdb:Yeah, those damn 286s are known to burn a lot of oil. lol A 4 mile decrease in the MPG due to Cal emissions makes perfect sense. I should've thought of that.

Ryland: After talking to you guys, I am starting to lean towards the VX or HF as a first choice. Provided I can find one. They (Hondas) are well put together. Maybe even a touch better than Toyotas for the interiors, but Toys are a touch more reliable. In my experience.

Mak: LOL! Damn Mak... judging by those pix you are an optimistic soul! lol

Matt: Intriguing. How do you mean? "The properly geared transmission (from a VX or a CX) would get you an extra 5-10 MPG." You mean an HF? Would one get that milege increase by putting a VX or HF tranny on a non-VTEC/E engine? So your saying that if one was to have to do a swap, doing so with a 92-95 is much easier than say an older version...yes?

Brian: Thanks for the added visual checklist for ad pix. More good stuff!

Thanks again gang, yer the best!
GasSavers_Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 05:27 PM   #14
Registered Member

BTW, anyone know the key alphanumeric

character(s) in a VX VIN?

My thinking is that the "N" in the NH (2HGEHxxxxNHxxxxxx) is the signifier for a highest MPG Civic VX. Yes? No? Anyone?
Thx
GasSavers_Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 05:42 PM   #15
Registered Member

One last bit of info for the Metros:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland
I'm not sure how many miles you can get on a metro
Can't answer that. I think Mark (95Metro) has about 200k kms on his. My first one had about 150k when I sold it.

2 cars is hardly representative, but my Suzukiclones have been the most trouble-free cars I've ever owned, including both of my Hondas (86 Civic / 89 Accord). Hey - I'm just as surprised as you are. And it's a pretty long list too - 15 or so.

I'll just say that if I had an even mix of driving to do, and I had the opportunity to get either a VX or a Metro in similarly good condition, I'd have a tough time deciding.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 10:03 PM   #16
Registered Member

on 1992-1995 civic hatchbacks:
first three 2HG say that it was made in canada
next three EH2 is a 1,500 cc engine, EH3 is a 1,600 cc engine (si)
next number is 3 for a 5 speed, 4 for the automatic (altho ebay sometimes gets it' wrong from the vin... and I've never heard of a vx with an automatic)
next number is 4 for the CX, 5 for the DX, 9 for the VX or 8 for the SI.
Next is a letter for the year, N is 1992, I would asume each letter is as years fallow.
Next letter is H for it being made in Ontario Canada.

the rest of the number is the serial number.

I have the whole facotry shop manual for 1992 civic's in a PDF file, I'll try to get it online at some point, it's all one folder, and not really indexed, so it's hard to search, and would be a large file to download on a slow connection.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:53 AM   #17
Registered Member

you also wanted to know the years differnt cars were made, right?

1984 was the first year of the crx it came with either a 1.3 or a 1.5 engine, no HF name on it yet but the 1.3 was suposed to get mileage in the 50's, with the old epa system it was rated at 62mpg or something, but in 1985 they updated the system for faster highway speedlimits so epa ratings droped that year for the exact same car.
1985 thru 1987 was the first generation Civic CRX HF, 1.5L carburated 58hp gas engine, really light body.
1988 thru 1991 was the 2nd generation of the CRX (with of course an HF modle), it came with a heavier, larger body, fuel injection, and an increse in horse power, altho the epa mileage I think stayed about the same, low to mid 50's.
1992 thru 1996 the crx became the del sol, and didn't have a fuel efficent modle other then the base modle, and that was epa rated at I think the high 30's, maybe low 40's, and were a really heavy body for a 2 seater.
1992-1995 the civic hatch back had a VX trim leavle, 1.5 vtec-e engine, striped down body, 8 spoke alloy rims (a good way to identify them, mileage minded people that took care of their car are going to keep the rims, or something simaler most of the time), and they had a lower front air dam on the bottem lip of the bumper, no rear wiper, side mirrer is an extra, outer rubber door bumper is an extra, mud flaps are an extra, clock as an extra, a/c as an extra, no cruse controle, no power windows, no power locks, no power mirrers.
1996 thru 1999 or 2000??? the fuel efficent car avalible was the HX, a 2 door cupe, mid to high 40's for mileage, only avalible as a cupe (2 door with a trunk), it has a 1.6 vtec-e, and I've heard of a number of them with an automatic... I can see why they were an unapealing car.

then they started with the hybrids, mileage didn't go up much, but the price sure did.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:42 PM   #18
Registered Member

Ryland, Sounds like you know your CRXs! When did Honda start using the newer refrigerant in its AC systems?
GeoMetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 07:22 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoMetry
Ryland, Sounds like you know your CRXs! When did Honda start using the newer refrigerant in its AC systems?

1993/1994 is when the switch happened.

some people read science fiction novels, I prefer shop manuals.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:12 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance
Mak: LOL! Damn Mak... judging by those pix you are an optimistic soul! lol
I prefer persistant.

As she sits today...

Still needs the Z1 engine installed, and wired, Vacced, then needs suspension, brakes, interior, exterior, etc...she will run by Jan. 1, '07.
There's the optimistic part Mak

MakDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote