New 2nd gen Yaris/Vitz hypermiles 4U @42-53mpg+mpg - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2010, 12:36 PM   #1

New 2nd gen Yaris/Vitz hypermiles 4U @42-53mpg+mpg

http://toyota.jp/vitz/
The new 2nd generation Vitz/Yaris was announced in Japan this week. Direct km/l to mpg can't be done due to different test standards, but the lowest mpg 1NZ-FE model lists 18km/l, identical to the Toyota.ist/Scion xA I have, which has a fwy mpg of about 36mpg. Using same ~2x conversion factor on their 1NR-FE engine's 26.5km/l yields an easy 53mpg fwy. Even their alternate 20.6km/l test is doing a nice 42mpg.
Auto engine off/on (takes .35sec) at stops and eco odo helps.
Itching to upgrade my xA to the new $15k 42-53mpg hwy Yaris!

babygdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:44 AM   #2
Registered Member

If there is a real need (repair bills, wear and tear, etc.) to replace your 5 year old Scion it's great but otherwise the gas mileage doesn't justify it. You can put another 90,000 miles on the Scion for the difference in value/price.

In the meantime, maybe more improvements will come down the line. There may be a reasonably priced 100 mpg option by then. We just don't know.

Old 12-24-2010, 04:58 AM   #3
Registered Member

Still pretty rubbish. Some Euro diesels do anything between 70 and 120 MPG. I got 82 MPG in my old car once.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:38 PM   #4

I reckon some of the Prius guys will be saying 'is that all ?'
udtrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:01 AM   #5
Registered Member

I don't know if by starting your engine every time a red light turns green, your starter won't wear out faster, and perhaps in the end costs you an extra starter or two for the price you would have saved in gasoline.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:03 AM   #6
Registered Member

ow, and diesel isn't comparable to gasoline,

diesel needs a catalyst converter or something in the exhaust, and in general a diesel engine is more expensive than a regular engine.

Diesel fuel is also more expensive than regular fuel, and diesel gasstations aren't as plentyful in USA, so you won't save that much more money with a diesel car.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:25 PM   #7
Registered Member

@ProDigit:

Stop start technology uses a brushless permanat magnet motor/generator typicaly, not a standard starter motor, these are very simple and I suspect will outlast the car.

Petrol and Diesel cars need Cats to convert carbon monoxide, this is a function of combustion not exclusive to Diesel. Diesel is cheaper to make then petrol but can be taxed higher becuase the higher MPG they obtain. You do save a lot more with a Diesel car but they comand a higher purchase price.
otherpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:34 PM   #8

I'm very much looking forward to this next Yaris. We have one and I'm strongly considering a second when/if we need a second car. I love the start-stop technology and am dreaming they'll bring the CVT transmission to North America.

To be a little pedantic though, this is the 3rd generation Yaris/Vitz. The first generation was sold as the Echo here.
creepynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:59 AM   #9

In Canada diesel fuel is normally cheaper than regular unleaded fuel. If you drive 1250km a week back and forth to work, my 46+ mpg in a car with adequate size and safety is a no-brainer. Most of these eco-cars drive like crap on the highway and their little tricks only save fuel during city driving.
pricha00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:09 AM   #10

No real need to replace the xA right now- still works fine and everything's in order. That said, learned with the 60k service they had a tsb they never told me about-all of the 1nz-fe engines used in the xa, xb, etc toyotas have easy injector clogging that affects gas milage. One big reason i was only getting 26-28 mpg until i told them and they did a fuel injector cleaning with the major service. Now, it's what? $5 bottle of techron every couple of thousand miles as an added expense?

Besides, i get bored of old technology- xa's 2002 release, almost 10 year old tech and design. Next baby's gonna either be cheap Yaris, or luxurious Pev Prius.

That said, boring thing about Toyota's well-maintained is that they just keep running fine. Can rarely find a good broken-whatever reason to replace one.

babygdav is offline   Reply With Quote