Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2007, 06:19 PM   #11
Registered Member

Need it

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
Not as a GasSaver because I am more "aware" of the consequences, but in pre-GasSaver days, I have vanquished many a battery.
I need some sort of 12-Volt, 40-Amp power supply -- even if it's adjustable. If the car started on AC, I could've rigged something up. But as we know, Direct Current runs the common vehicle. I told myself I wouldn't do it again, but - ya know. It wasn't a well thought-out plan. Back in the manual days, I could shut the car down, have the e-brake on, and coast to a stop with one foot out of the door. With the auto, there are barriers -- have to be in park to take out the key, etc.

But yeah, some sort of backup battery, instant starter, batt. charger, etc. would be great. Especially in the final months of this battery.

RH77

Old 03-12-2007, 09:41 PM   #12
Supporting Member

48.1 Mpg

Hello -

NEW personal best today on the way home from work. Here's the info :

MPG : 48.1 (old best was 42.5, so a 13.2% increase)
Route : 105 East -> 710 North -> 10 East -> exit freeway -> North on Rosemead
Miles : 35.7
MPH Avg : 40
MPH Max : 65
Net Elevation change : ~788 feet up (+210 on freeway, +578 on streets)
Weather : 69.5+ degrees F, Clear, 33.5% Humidity, 34 degrees F Dew Point
Time : ~8.00 PM to ~8:45 PM, ~45 minutes?

No hypothesis. Just good hot weather and decent traffic, just like this morning.

Quote:
Personal best today on the way HOME from work. Here's the info :

MPG : 42.5
Route : 105 East -> 710 North -> 10 East -> exit freeway -> North on Rosemead
Miles : 35.6
MPH Avg : 40
MPH Max : 68
Net Elevation change : ~788 feet up (+210 on freeway, +578 on streets)
Weather : 67+ degrees F, clear, less than 46% Humidity, 45 degrees F Dew Point
Time : ~7:30 PM to ~8:30 PM, ~55 minutes?

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:41 AM   #13
Registered Member

Turned in a tank of 45 mpg. Updated my gas log. Its horid. The ECU issue coupled with winter really hurt.

psy
psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 07:44 AM   #14
Registered Member

Its looking like it is going to be another +40 tank for me. We will see in a few days.

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 04:48 PM   #15
Registered Member

Wow. Looks live everyone's FE is suddenly going wild! I'm plateauing at around 53 mpg. My coasts have increased since the roads have cleared up but the amount of GPH required for certain speeds isn't changing much with the weather (0.4 GPH is still not quite good enough to keep 30mph). I've been setting the cruise @ 45mph on the highway for the past several weeks and I've found that my car's engine warms up much more slowly at that speed than if I was doing 55mph. There doesn't seem to be any noticeable difference (in terms of MPG) between the winter tires and the all season ones I just put back on.
Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 06:33 PM   #16
Registered Member

Well I got the front portion of the belly pan on the Saturn. I thought it came out nice. I used valley metal as a heat shield. Had to open about 12 inch wide slot in the grill block. It is more than needed.

I'm also pulling warm intake air from behind the manifold. I plugged the cold intake with a nerf tennis ball.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for a 50 mpg tank but filling up will tell. I don't trust the scangauge calibration yet when messing with the intake temp. It is showing 53 for the tank and averaging 52 at 60 mph. Half gauge point sure looks like 50 mpg.

Today was 52 to work and 70 mpg coming home. P&G with EOC work well coming home.

Are you guys using a GPS for the vertical component of your commute or do you get that somewhere else? Mine must be about 400 feet but I am not sure.

Attachment 263

Attachment 264

Ernie
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2007, 07:04 PM   #17
Supporting Member

usedgeo -

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedgeo View Post
Well I got the front portion of the belly pan on the Saturn. I thought it came out nice. I used valley metal as a heat shield. Had to open about 12 inch wide slot in the grill block. It is more than needed.
Great production values!

Quote:

I'm also pulling warm intake air from behind the manifold. I plugged the cold intake with a nerf tennis ball.
What intake temps are you seeing on the ScanGauge? I am seeing 140+ degrees F here in LA.

Quote:
I am keeping my fingers crossed for a 50 mpg tank but filling up will tell. I don't trust the scangauge calibration yet when messing with the intake temp. It is showing 53 for the tank and averaging 52 at 60 mph. Half gauge point sure looks like 50 mpg.

Today was 52 to work and 70 mpg coming home. P&G with EOC work well coming home.

Are you guys using a GPS for the vertical component of your commute or do you get that somewhere else? Mine must be about 400 feet but I am not sure.

...(pictures snipped to speed up download time)...

Ernie
We have a GPS, so I used that one day to figure out my elevation changes for my commute. Just borrow one from a pal to figure out the commute.

CarloSW2

Old 03-13-2007, 07:22 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:

Attachment 263

Attachment 264

Ernie
Very nice. You can plot your route here. Can of tedious by accurate.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 07:35 PM   #19
Registered Member

GPS and hot air

Quote:
usedgeo -

What intake temps are you seeing on the ScanGauge? I am seeing 140+ degrees F here in LA.

CarloSW2
I am seeing only about a 30 to 40 F temp rise over ambient. Ambient is running 30-70. The max I have seen is 112. I need to make a shroud around the exhaust manifold. The nerf ball is almost against the temp sender though. They are less than $10 on Rock Auto. I might buy another sender and move it to where it can measure the temp better, or just move the stock one.

I do have an older GPS. It takes it a few minutes to lock on to the altitude. It is a terrestial one but I only used it in the plane I used to own. I should put some batteries in it and check my elevation changes.

Ernie
Old 03-13-2007, 08:11 PM   #20
Supporting Member

usedgeo -

Quote:
I am seeing only about a 30 to 40 F temp rise over ambient. Ambient is running 30-70. The max I have seen is 112. I need to make a shroud around the exhaust manifold. The nerf ball is almost against the temp sender though. They are less than $10 on Rock Auto. I might buy another sender and move it to where it can measure the temp better, or just move the stock one.

I do have an older GPS. It takes it a few minutes to lock on to the altitude. It is a terrestial one but I only used it in the plane I used to own. I should put some batteries in it and check my elevation changes.

Ernie
Ok. When I was doing my "mixed hot/cold" air intake experiment, I put a hole close to the centerpoint of the front wall of the airbox and remounted my IAT sensor there. I removed the cold air intake tube because it was basically a "funnel" into the now long gone resonator. Instead of the tube I jimmied up a 2" black PVC plumbing elbow and made that into the new "normal air intake". I could have cut up the old tube, but I like the idea of being able to de-retrofit all my gimmicks, so it's in the garage.

My idea was that I wanted my IAT sensor to be close to "dead center" between the hot and cold air intake, so that it would better represent the "mix" of air. Maybe you need something like that, where the IAT is measuring the temperature of the air that is about to go into the air filter .

Just yesterday I put a 2" plumbing cap on the "normal air intake". I am playing with smaller/larger openings in the "normal air intake" because a small hole in the normal air intake *appears* to lead to hotter air flow, I think because it somehow enhances convective flow (?!?!?) and reduces stagnation. No PROOF mind you, just what I think I am seeing in the day to day IAT temps.

CarloSW2