NEW Official Thread for posting daily FE updates - Page 6 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2007, 03:16 PM   #51
Registered Member

I did some mods at the end of the FE season last year and saw some good improvements. But this nice, calm, warm weather (the first time since all mods were in place) we're getting in Ohio now is really good for FE and I think it's bringing out the best in the mods I've done. I had my second best tank ever this morning @ 49.36 and it appears, from watching my fuel gauge today, that I might be headed for another really good tank. Amazing what a warm, calm day will do for FE isn't it?

-- Scott

Old 03-27-2007, 03:34 PM   #52
FE nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by scostanz View Post
I had my second best tank ever this morning @ 49.36 and it appears, from watching my fuel gauge today, that I might be headed for another really good tank. Amazing what a warm, calm day will do for FE isn't it?
-- Scott
No kidding! I returned my IAT mod to stock last weekend and had to wait until today to recalibrate the SG so I could get at least 3 gallons in it so I wouldn't be penalized in the team competition. With the re-calibrated SG, I got 77.5 on the 6.1 mile trip home from the station. I got 57.7 over 220.5 miles on 3.82 gallons.
Nice job on the 49.36 tank. I have a feeling we're going to be hearing of some pretty good numbers from you as the temps continue to warm up. What were the mods you mentioned?

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 03:41 PM   #53
Registered Member

Well, I hooked up 2 of the junk 6v floodies (+126 lbs!), ditched the alternator, went and aired up the tires (one was low: it was at sidewall max ) and looped around the route I took after I first installed the XFi cam a couple of weekends ago.

Even with a less than ideal drive, the SG showed an even 100 mpg (US) at the end of the round trip. Take it with a grain of salt though - I still haven't "turned it down" after my last tank. Have to get out the manual to remember how to do that.

Avg speed was 20 mph, max was 47. 14 miles total. 9C ambient and calm winds.

EDIT: not directly comparable, but my previous indicated best this season was posted in the cam swap thread: 96 mpg (US) round trip, hardcore P&G; 8C; no...
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 03:45 PM   #54
Registered Member

What Region of Ohio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scostanz View Post
I did some mods at the end of the FE season last year and saw some good improvements. But this nice, calm, warm weather (the first time since all mods were in place) we're getting in Ohio now is really good for FE and I think it's bringing out the best in the mods I've done. I had my second best tank ever this morning @ 49.36 and it appears, from watching my fuel gauge today, that I might be headed for another really good tank. Amazing what a warm, calm day will do for FE isn't it?

-- Scott
BTW, what region of Ohio are you in? I have family in the Akron area, near Zanesville also, and I went to school at Muskingum in SE OH. The weather varies quite a bit by region -- I used to get my best mileage down in Coshocton County with the '97 DX (open country roads ).

I miss the scenery back there -- Spring and Fall is awesome.

RH77
Old 03-27-2007, 05:01 PM   #55
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77 View Post
BTW, what region of Ohio are you in? I have family in the Akron area, near Zanesville also, and I went to school at Muskingum in SE OH. The weather varies quite a bit by region -- I used to get my best mileage down in Coshocton County with the '97 DX (open country roads ).

I miss the scenery back there -- Spring and Fall is awesome.

RH77
I'm in Columbus...travel back and forth to Dayton every day along I-70. The seasons are great with the execption of winter which was pretty bad this year.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:11 PM   #56
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlarry View Post
No kidding! I returned my IAT mod to stock last weekend and had to wait until today to recalibrate the SG so I could get at least 3 gallons in it so I wouldn't be penalized in the team competition. With the re-calibrated SG, I got 77.5 on the 6.1 mile trip home from the station. I got 57.7 over 220.5 miles on 3.82 gallons.
Nice job on the 49.36 tank. I have a feeling we're going to be hearing of some pretty good numbers from you as the temps continue to warm up. What were the mods you mentioned?
All I've done is a grill block, cx/vx tranny swap and 50 lbs in all four tires. I'd like to do some additional work under the car and a few other things this year as well.

Your #'s are awesome by-the-way! Nice job. Also, by looking at your gas log, it looks like you drive your car what ever the conditions are outside....makes what you are doing all the more impressive.

-- Scott
Old 03-29-2007, 01:27 PM   #57
Registered Member

79.4 mpg (US) round trip, 55 mi. total, on mostly rural highways this afternoon.

Combination of DWL in the middle and P&G at either end.

2 cold starts (no EBH),
35 mph avg., 58 mph max.,
9 C temp., 10 km/h N winds.

I'm also running alternatorless now - with 2 6v floodies supporting the starting battery (which I continue to murder by doing this - based on events in Feb., I'm pretty sure it won't be up to the task of starting the car next winter when it's -20C).
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 01:04 AM   #58
Team GasMisers5!

41.0mpg tank today - 297 miles worth of driving. This was lots of cold-starts, on-call cold-starts (i.e. no block heater for outward journey), and lots of 0.8 mile journeys with the engine cold. A lot of the time it was windy + rainy too. Aero mods went on about 150 miles or so into this tank. I also wasted a lot of petrol by warming the engine from cold - hot twice while doing ECU testing.

Despite all of this, the only time I have got better MPG than this was with a 176 mile round trip commute that I used to do over hilly terrain, where I could do loads of engine-off-coasting and so on, without having to stop and let the engine cool down. My previous 'good' MPG for commuting was about 32-34 US MPG

Team GasMisers5 - #1 for first three rounds of the original GS Fuel Economy Challenge
Miles displaced by e-bike since 1 Jan 2008: 62.6 (0 kWh used)
Hypomiler
landspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:19 AM   #59
Registered Member

36.5 Average over 3 tanks

MetroMPG: I can't find your quote, but you expected an increase of 15% with the TC fixed on the 'Teg.

I thought it was possible, but for now, all I can claim at least a 10% increase combined, which is van-tastic

3-tanks over about 1000 miles have yielded an average of

36.5 MPG

...which is the best combined cycle to date. All-highway trips yield 42.5-45.0, which also is consistently better than before.

2 factors: I can attribute a great deal of improvement to the lower RPM shifts and TC engagement; however, the weather has been warmer and more humid -- which seems to help as well.

I'm afraid that with the blazing heat of summer around the corner, these are going to be some of the best figures. An AAI needs to be installed "Ambient Air Intake" (I can't really call it a "Cold" intake if the outside air is 95*F.

RH77
Old 03-30-2007, 11:29 AM   #60
Supporting Member

133333 Miles on the Odo ...

Hello -

Nothing special today, maybe 50+ MPG on the way to work (my milk run for MPG). But I did catch a magic odometer reading :

Attachment 310

CarloSW2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mileage_133333.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	267  

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote