New to board, question about Geo Metro - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-18-2008, 06:30 AM   #1
Registered Member

New to board, question about Geo Metro

Hello one and all. Greetings from Baton Rouge! I am new to the board and this is my 1st post.
A fellow firefighter of mine is selling a Geo Metro. It possibly needs a new motor. I will get the details tonight as regards to what exact year, engine, etc.
I know its blue, a 4 door version, and I guess its 97 or older. He bought it when he was commuting back and forth from Osyka, MS to Baton Rouge, LA. He said it averaged 40mpg or better.

He will let it go for $200. Even if it needs a new motor, would it be worth the investment return?

It has no body damage and obviously needs a good bath and wax job.

I would change the battery, brakes, all fluids, etc. But is a new motor, or re-built motor hard to find?

Thanks for any advice and I look forward to soaking up some knowledge.
I, like most people, am fed up with the RIDICULOUS gas prices and our INEPT government.

R.L.
Baton Rouge, LA
IAFF Local 557

bigrobrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 07:38 AM   #2
QDM
Registered Member

$200 would be a great deal as long as there is no rust, particularly on the front A arms. There are many good resources on the web for Metros. Google teamswift for a good forum. There is also a great Metro Yahoo group.

Q

QDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 02:08 PM   #3
Registered Member

It probably is a decent investment. I don't know how adept you are at rebuilding motors but I think the 3cly engine is almost light enough to lift out by hand!

opelgt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 04:45 PM   #4
Registered Member

Its a 1996 Geo Metro. It has a newly re-built top end. He said it has a "knock" and he knew to turn it off and leave it be until he fixed it or sold it. He did all the repairs himself and he is a good mechanic. He bought the repair book and he said it explained how to do everything in detail.

I was told to drop the pan and to replace the 4 rods and rod bearings.

It has approx 115,000 miles. Its the 1.3L 4cyl engine.

I'm seriously considering this investment.

Rob
bigrobrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 07:31 PM   #5
Registered Member

Lol, if not, send it up here to Shreveport!!!
Old 05-18-2008, 08:02 PM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
Buy it!
Worst case you have to get a whole used engine for up to $600 (car-part.com has some for as little as $150) and pay $300-$400 to have someone else install it, at that point you have up to $1,200 invested in the car, if you don't like it then sell it for $2,500
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:58 PM   #7
Registered Member

I just started grinning from ear to ear when I read the send it up to Shreveport comment. It is good to know that there are at least 2 people in Shreveport who care about getting good mileage

I would definitely get the Metro. Just figure up the mileage that you get in your current ride, then calculate the difference in mileage between it and the Metro and figure up how many miles it will take for your fuel savings to eclipse the cost of the Metro plus repairs. I just went to the Dallas area and picked up a Geo Storm. Looked everywhere for a Metro but could not find one. At any rate, by parking the truck and using the Storm I will be even at 3500 miles. Everything after that is pure savings in the bank.
Reishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:59 PM   #8
Registered Member

I had the 1.3 in a '93 Suzuki Swift GT 1.3.. Very much a fun little car and got very good mileage too.

I would say go for it..

89 Yamaha FZR400 Crotch rocket, semi naked with only the bikini fairing, no lowers, 60 plus mpg

87 Ranger 2.3 5spd.. Does not currently run..
fumesucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 04:29 PM   #9
Registered Member

You can get a G10 crate motor from Japan. Sold our metro we had since new two years ago, wish we had kept it just for fun now.

-Emil Faber
Spule 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 04:37 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reishi View Post
I just started grinning from ear to ear when I read the send it up to Shreveport comment. It is good to know that there are at least 2 people in Shreveport who care about getting good mileage
Well, I commute to Homer everyday so I need all the gas savings I can get. Bad thing is I watched a metro sedan sit on a lot outside Minden for sale for a year for $2500. Now I feel like an idiot that it's gone. I let a co-worker convince me I'd "lose cool points" if I drove it. Now he's drving a 92 Sentra 5 speed.